The Blue Agave (Work-in-Progress) (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
Hey guys!

With everything that's been going on, I'm trying to keep my mind occupied. I've always loved the idea of designing labels and inlays, but don't have a lot of experience.

As many of you may know, I purchased the artwork rights to the Four Suits design because I always loved the simplicity of it. However, as time went on I fell less in love with it. For anyone who doesn't know, I did make available to everyone to use, so if you'd like to use it at all, please let me know! There is absolutely no charge to use it. I only ask that you let me know that you'd like to use it.

Lately, I've been toying with other ideas that hit a little closer to home. I was born in Arizona and have lived here most of my life, so I started thinking about themes that would fit into that. I kicked around a lot of ideas like The Palo Verde Lounge (which I still like, but can't seem to get the art right), and several others. I knew that I wanted something modern and simple. Something that you might see in a classy (?) card room, but didn't completely miss the mark like many of the newer inlays we see making an appearance these days (SLS :wtf:). Then I thought about the agave plant, specifically the blue agave which is used in the manufacturing of tequila. Now, tequila does not hold a place in my heart, and while it is governed my Mexican regulations, it does grow naturally in Arizona. I started to like the name "The Blue Agave", but couldn't settle on what I should use to follow it, IE: poker room, lounge, card room, etc., so I decided to drop that aspect of the name. The more I thought about it, I decided to drop the "the" from the name as well, just calling it "Blue Agave".

I see all of these absolutely amazing custom sets that you guys make centered around where you live, a specific landmark, etc., and I think I may have found mine. What I'm going to post is a very, very rough first draft, and I wanted to get your guys' opinion on it! I made two versions: one where you can see an agave watermark in the background, and one without. I'd love so much just to hear what you have to say and any opinions that you may have. The design, wherever it lands, will almost certainly be cleaned up by one of the professional designers here when the time is right. So, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks everyone!

Label 1.pngLabel 2.png

I did also make one more mock-up that is highly inspired by the beautiful del Lago chips. I absolutely love that inlay and decided to play around with something similar.

Label 3.png

Love the name and concept of BLUE AGAVE! I don’t think you need anything to follow it. IMHO it’s redundant to say card room on a chip. They’re poker chips and they are going to be seen on a table in a game.
One of the best name for a custom chip I heard so far. It’s straight forward, 3 syllables and phonetically sounds awesome!
Pair it with a strong logo and you got a winner for sure! (y) :thumbsup:

Love the name and concept of BLUE AGAVE! I don’t think you need anything to follow it. IMHO it’s redundant to say card room on a chip. They’re poker chips and they are going to be seen on a table in a game.
One of the best name for a custom chip I heard so far. It’s straight forward, 3 syllables and phonetically sounds awesome!
Pair it with a strong logo and you got a winner for sure! (y) :thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks so much! That’s incredibly kind of you to say!

So, this is where I am right now. I added a slight shadow to the outside of the inlay, put some purple to the tips of the agave logo, changed the font to black and added a denomination.

Any thoughts?

Label 1.png

Just for kicks, I put it on a chip. I'm loving that this theme works so much better with the FDL mold than the Four Suits art did!

ebbb898c-9e0b-4095-acb8-fa6991c08693.png

Last edited:
Finished up the denominations and made two sets. The first being the slightly cheaper alternative, and the second being the one that I love. Right now it's moot because customs are certainly not in the foreseeable future, but I like the way these look so far!

ebbb898c-9e0b-4095-acb8-fa6991c08693.png

5a9c1cfb-97c7-4ff7-b8ec-cd42897bdfda.png

Great design! Like the latest label the best.

If I were you, I’d really lean into the ‘blue’ in Blue Agave. Do blue for the denominations, have some blue’ish base or spot on every chip, etc.

Great start!

Thank you! I’m a little worried about overdoing the blue aspect. That’s probably where a professional designer will come in. I definitely want more blue in the inlay, but not so much as to be ostentatious. I’m sure that, when the time is right, one of the wonderful designers will turn this into something that I really love.

What would it look like if you faded the denom from light blue to dark purple to mirror the plant above (so opposite direction)?

Not sure about the red denom, but the set looks terrific. I prefer the blue quarter, white dollar version. Great design!

That Blue agave image is fantastic!
I have some trouble with reading the words "Blue Agave" but I do still like that font.

What would it look like if you faded the denom from light blue to dark purple to mirror the plant above (so opposite direction)?
And try this^^^

Or a Deeper red or maroon denom

I made a few tweaks to the design this morning. Firstly, I narrowed the text so it would (hopefully) be easier to read, moved it up a bit, and added a light blue shadow to it. Secondly, I changed the font for the denomination and went with black with a light blue shadow as well. I'm not sure if it's right yet, but you guys were right; the red denomination was WAY out of place. Here's how it looks now:

$20 Inlay.png

Looks like you tweaked the denomination font too ... I like this more 'elegant' font much better with the theme than the previous 'curly' one. Great iteration!

Looks like you tweaked the denomination font too ... I like this more 'elegant' font much better with the theme than the previous 'curly' one. Great iteration!

I did! The other one was too thick and too curly, as you pointed out. I'm just about to finish up the other denoms and see how they look on chips!

I made a few tweaks to the design this morning. Firstly, I narrowed the text so it would (hopefully) be easier to read, moved it up a bit, and added a light blue shadow to it. Secondly, I changed the font for the denomination and went with black with a light blue shadow as well. I'm not sure if it's right yet, but you guys were right; the red denomination was WAY out of place. Here's how it looks now:

View attachment 229053
'
Looks much better, still would like to see a deep blue font color. I'm curious to see if it "balances" the inlay a little more

I also cant see the blue shadowing on the inlay at chip size either. To me it makes the words and denom look blurry

For a cloth though I would leave it for sure

'
Looks much better, still would like to see a deep blue font color. I'm curious to see if it "balances" the inlay a little more

I also cant see the blue shadowing on the inlay at chip size either. To me it makes the words and denom look blurry

For a cloth though I would leave it for sure

I would absolutely love to put this design on one of Chanman's suede cloths at some point!

Okay! Black versus blue versus red denominations! I was afraid a blue denomination might be overdoing it, but I'm definitely on team 'blue'.

EDIT: Threw in a deep red denomination as well, which is tough because I really like that one as well.

25 cent Inlay (1).png25 cent Inlay.png25 cent Inlay (2).png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom