The Black Diamond - Lehigh Valley Railroad (1 Viewer)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
The Black Diamond Railroad ran through the Lehigh Valley and into New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania from May 1896 through May 1959. Named for the coal it originally carried, the line transitioned into luxury passanger service in the 1920's and 30's, and then with the emergence of the art deco period and rail engine streamlining that became popular in the 30's and 40's, LVRR contracted renowned engineer Otto Kuhler to convert a Pacific-class 4-6-2 locomotive into a streamlined work of art...

Black Diamond colorized photo.jpg

Black Diamond artist rendering.png

Along with luxury appointments comes luxury dining. To this end, a bit of ephemera and diningware has been preserved from the train. Note that a dollar sign is only present when relevant as opposed to today's fine dining menus that frequently omit the dollar sign and/or cents...or even a price at all.

Black Diamond Menu Cover.jpg

LEHIGH_BLACK_DIAMOND_INT_MENU_PNG.png

Lehigh Valley Black Diamond bowl.jpg

Lehigh Valley Black Diamond logo closeup.jpg

Lehigh Valley Black Diamond plate.jpg

Sometime at least 5 years ago there was a hefty set of Paulson diamond mold solid hotstamps in great condition, color, and quantity found on eBay. I was considering bidding but didn't pull the trigger. Thankfully someone else here did. i can't find the forum thread any longer, but eventually that buyer put up the lot for sale here at a small increase, or possibly just a large chunk of it after keeping what he wanted. In any case, I snapped it up. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity again. What was I going to use them for? *shrug* I just knew there had to be a set in there somewhere, and in case you're not familiar w/the chipper's lament...

"I do not regret the chips I bought, but those I did not buy" - Someone...probably

This is a good sampling of what they looked like. Not sure if they were for a circus-like home game, a charity event, a party company, or what, but the mold is great and the colors are fun. But what to do with them??? Hmmm....

F324FBB7-4006-4DDD-A100-5885851DFFA3.jpeg

My dad had always been into railroads and model trains - the more elaborate, the better - for as long as I could remember. He was also essentially a quadriplegic which, by the time I was of driving age, meant I was into model trains. That last part is a bit of a lie. I fucking hate modeling as it was forced labor. If he wanted it built, that meant I built it. If he wanted to go see a display, that meant I drove. But the trains themselves were cool, and it also meant time spent with dad, and that's not nothin'.

Oh, he was also a fuckin' cheap bastard.

Not long after dad passed a few years ago I was admiring some of the train paintings he had up around the home, and then it occurred to me. Cheap chips. Railroading. Time to build a set to honor pops. I pulled out a set of 700 chips and shipped them up to @Gear . I had no design in mind yet, but I knew these were going to have shaped inlays (one does not buy solids on an uncommon mold and send them to Gear just to get circles cut out of them), and I figured there had to be some kind of railroad tied to a diamond theme...right? Please God of Google let there be a diamond-themed railroad....

*furiously types searches into Google*

BINGO

I found the Black Diamond menu image and the hook was set. I started considering designers. I'd worked with J5 multiple times and wanted something a bit different. P5Woody wasn't availble and I'd worked with him before, too, so I hit up Quicksilver. We went back and forth for a few iterations and we had something going for the obverse, but I could never land on an image or design that I wanted for the reverse. I finally felt like we could go no further and put the project on pause. Quicksilver did his best, but I wasn't giving him enough to put together the full package. That's not his fault at all.

A couple years later I went to a gem show with my wife and some friends out in Quartzite, AZ (look it up...it's a dunghole!) and one of the booths sold earrings and jewelry made out of cast-off, broken shards of railway diningware. While my wife was looking at earrings I asked the proprietor if the Black Diamond happened to have any such diningware. They pulled out a reference book, riffled some pages, and ultimately came to the first plate depicted above. FINALLY! I had the concept for the reverse! A few days later I had enough images from the web to continue the design. This time I reached out to hall-of-fame designer designer Toby. He was intrigued by the project, but there was some technical limitation that prevented him from putting together the design I wanted. Foiled once more, I continued looking for a designer and reached out to @timinater . He was game for it so I fired him the reference images. Within a few days he sent me back some initial proofs, and I'll be damned if he didn't nail the reverse on the first try. Like, literally, the first try. The only thing that really needed tweaked on the reverse was the background color. I was laboring over chosing a font for the denoms on the front so that took a little while longer - I probably sent him about 12-15 font references before I finally found one that I was happy with. Huzzah! The design was complete!

Time to get the art assets up to Gear and let him work his magic, right?

You would think, but no. I sat on them. For over a year. I even let Chris know that I had them...just never sent them. Why? Honestly, I'm not sure. I think a part of me was afraid of somehow screwing it up. I really only had one shot at this. Eventually I came to a point where I said, "You've measured for five years...I think it's time to cut once." So the assets were sent and I got in line. A month or two later, I received the most beautiful message a chipper can receive..."Out for Delivery."

And I opened the boxes....and they were perfect. Goddamn perfect.

Ladies and gentlemen, at long last I present to you the Black Diamond cash set, as imagned for the Lehigh Valley Railroad in the late 30's and early 40's. The front represents the art deco; the laurel leaf pattern on the rear is to tie the origins of the railway to the new. To slightly tie the chips to the original menu that I found, instead of using dollar or cents symbols, a simple decimal point is present on the frac to specifically indicate the value of the chip as opposed to the 25 & other denoms which are understood to be in dollars. I've previously mentioned that Gear is the DaVinci of clay chips. This set is one of the reasons why. His consulting was invaluable during the process and the result wouldn't have been the same w/o his insights.

They're not flashy, and I had very little option on the colors. But for what I had, they're perfect. I hope dad would have enjoyed playing with these (he wouldn't have...dime bets were pricey to him, but maybe he'd have played in a $20 tournament no he wouldn't have). Regardless of the forced labor and chauffeuring, this is a nod to his lifelong hobby.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

You’re goddam right. Insanely simple and insanely awesome. Artwork, shaped inlays, and fonts nailed it. Congrats, Scott!

[Edit: to be clear, “simple” in this case intended as a compliment and the highest praise—the design elements stand on their own and as a cohesive unit, and don’t need to rely on fancy/complex spot patterns. It’s because of the solid chips that these rock, not in spite of it.

And the backstory is one for the ages.]

Last edited:
Great theme and wonderful tribute. The vintage look is unbeatable. So where did the purple chips come from. They are not in the pic of the chips in post #2. And why didn't you use those wonderful pink and yellow chips?

Great theme and wonderful tribute. The vintage look is unbeatable. So where did the purple chips come from. They are not in the pic of the chips in post #2. And why didn't you use those wonderful pink and yellow chips?
For the purple chips, what you see in the set is basically all that I had - a barrel plus a spare or three. They were 500’s to begin with. I will likely never put an actual 500 chip in play to represent $500, but it seemed wrong not to make them when I had a traditional $500 color in hand…so yeah. Pink and yellow weren’t used for similar reasons, although pink had an additional reason - I was trading a few to snapper collector friends of mine. I kept the yellows as is because they are already non denom and there’s enough to use as bounty/rebuy chips if I used the extras as a pure tournament set. As it is, I will likely sel the extra racks (I have almost 1k chips left) with the yellows going along with the lot.

And thank you for posting the history behind the set. While these would still be fantastic on their own, the back story just adds to the awesomeness.

And thank you for posting the history behind the set. While these would still be fantastic on their own, the back story just adds to the awesomeness.
Was glad to do it. As best as we can guesstimate, the chips were pressed in the late 70’s/early 80’s. That means this set basically took my entire life plus the experiences of others to actually come together. And the journey was wild. Truly a roller coaster of emotions. Bummed when I didn’t buy the chips, relieved when the second chance occurred. Curious/wonderment over what the set would be. Frustration over false starts and half-finished ideas/shelved projects. Elation over the design finally coming together. And that pure, giddy joy of cracking open the product on delivery.l

And on that note, folks, if you haven’t made customs, i *highly* encourage you to go through the process once. I don’t care if they are semi-custom or full, clay or ceramic. Just do it and make it meaningful. When you finally get that set in your hands, I promise you the journey will be worth it.

And on that note, folks, if you haven’t made customs, i *highly* encourage you to go through the process once. I don’t care if they are semi-custom or full, clay or ceramic. Just do it and make it meaningful. When you finally get that set in your hands, I promise you the journey will be worth it.
THIS^^^

I was working on a design about 6 months ago, then got busy and tabled it. This thread makes me want to get back to work on it.

Elegant. You don't need 100X colors and graphics for it to turn out perfect. You nailed it.

AWESOME!

I first thought I had arrived on a thread dedicated to the "Black Diamond Ranch" set whose theme was developed by one of my compatriots, @Pinball. But I'm not disappointed, both the set and the work are really great!

P.S.: Art deco strikes me as the pinnacle of western industrial age elegance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom