Tell me if I'm alone here.. (1 Viewer)

PhoenixCNY

Reaction score
Hello folks..

I'm a long-time lurker.. and have been spinning my gears on a design for a personal ceramic set for use in board games (18xx, or anything with a lot of money transactions).. I've been thinking about the design on and off for 10 years. It's been suggested that I work with a designer to get some movement on the idea.. but my main issue is, well.. after 10 years, I'm afraid I'm just going to end up wasting said designers' time.

So.. my question is.. does anyone else hesitate to reach out to a designer for help, simply because you're afraid you'll spend time and money on a design you still don't end up loving? Or is this just my ADD going absolutely insane?

Feel free to add any comments you might have on how long it took you to come to a final design decision, and what might have helped you get over the hump..

Thanks!

Hello folks..

I'm a long-time lurker.. and have been spinning my gears on a design for a personal ceramic set for use in board games (18xx, or anything with a lot of money transactions).. I've been thinking about the design on and off for 10 years. It's been suggested that I work with a designer to get some movement on the idea.. but my main issue is, well.. after 10 years, I'm afraid I'm just going to end up wasting said designers' time.

So.. my question is.. does anyone else hesitate to reach out to a designer for help, simply because you're afraid you'll spend time and money on a design you still don't end up loving? Or is this just my ADD going absolutely insane?

Feel free to add any comments you might have on how long it took you to come to a final design decision, and what might have helped you get over the hump..

Thanks!
Pay them for their time. Its a creative exercise, not a waste for anybody.

Hello folks..

Thanks!
If you are really worried, don't approach designer until you have a specific idea in mind otherwise you may end up wasting lot of time and money. getting that initial first idea down is the hardest part. Most designers will mock up several designs/compositions based on your initial prompt/idea and then you can iterate from there to fine tune things.

10 years is a long time to wait, man. Life is too short. Jump in. There are lots of great designers on here that have probably worked with plenty of folks with half-formulated designs and can work with you wherever you are at.

I knew everything I wanted and had a good handle on the desired design, and I still hired a designer just because they knew what format the chip makers needed the designs in. Trust me. They are worth it.

And another thing you can do to get the ball rolling: start a thread with your ideas. You'll get a lot of free advice from folks who spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about this. That may get your closer to a design aesthetic/theme that you feel you can bring to a designer to formalize and polish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom