Swastika chips? (2 Viewers)

Zedlavo

Two Pair
Reaction score
I just ran across this posting on Craigslist for swastika poker chips. (I don't know how to post a link) Whats the story?

image.png

I know they've been talked about before, and I think it's @jbutler who have been collecting some of these chips recently, though not the swastika inlays.

I've seen these on Craigslist for the last week or two as well and almost made a post here about them. if anybody wants them I think I remember they are in Sultan which isnt too far away and anytime I have an excuse to hit the Sultan bakery I will take it. ;)

The box says US Poker Chips. Hard to believe they are from Holland. Plus, didn't the symbol mean other things than Hitler chose?

These are on eBay all the time. After some fact checking, I believe this was an old Indian symbol before it was used by the Nazis.

A guy I work with collects old German military items. He said not really. People try to pass these off as old German items.

My grandfather said before it was rotated 45 degrees it meant friendship and it's on some of our old family photo albums and those are long before ww2...my great grandfather was born here and my grandfather fought in ww2.

Take that for what it's worth...I've never been able to verify it.

Paranoid chips typically go for $0.25 to $0.50 per chip.

These chips are not Nazi memorabilia. They predate WWII, though perhaps not the early stages of the third reich. It isn't impossible that there is an early connection. Germany was not an "evil actor" to Americans in the 1930's. But this symbol is older than this by far.

DrStrange

Yeah, without looking it up I have always known the swastika symbol as older than Germany by far and was used for the symbol of a few things, none evil until the Nazis adopted it.

And by the way @Zedlavo , my iPhone spells both with out problem, though I use thev Swype keyboard do that may be the difference.

Paranoid chips typically go for $0.25 to $0.50 per chip.

These chips are not Nazi memorabilia. They predate WWII, though perhaps not the early stages of the third reich. It isn't impossible that there is an early connection. Germany was not an "evil actor" to Americans in the 1930's. But this symbol is older than this by far.

DrStrange
Yes I knew these weren't Natzi chips I was just wondering about their origin. There's a store in a small town near here where a owner had painted swastikas all around the his store on Main Street. This was in the early 1900s. It's a native good luck symbol. He even left them up during WWII because our county is surrounded by Indian reservations so the locals knew what it meant. As you can imagine it's covered up now.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png

My grandfather said before it was rotated 45 degrees it meant friendship and it's on some of our old family photo albums and those are long before ww2...my great grandfather was born here and my grandfather fought in ww2.

Take that for what it's worth...I've never been able to verify it.

The Nazis used the Swastika in the 'static' style (ie. sitting square), when they first used the symbol. To create the sense of movement, they soon placed it on an angle.

It certainly predates the Nazis, and is used in an inverted direction as well. It has been used in Native American history (headdress) and even adorned a WW1 fight plane (flown by a Yank). It was used 'inverted' on this occasion.

europe_escadrille-top-ace-raul-lufberry_450.jpg

American ace, Raoul Lufberry used it in the static style.
21_9_a1.jpg

21_29.jpg

I went to Walled Lake Junior High in Michigan in the early 80s. The building was built in the 1920s and included a swastika in the tile work on the floor by the front door. It was covered up with a mat but we used to go down and look at it as kids. I believe the school district eventually removed it, but the native good luck symbol was the same story we were told. There have been multiple threads about these chips the years, especially at big blue. I guess eBay allows them only because of their prior meaning, but personally I wouldn't want them.

but personally I wouldn't want them.
I don't really want them either but I don't think there's anything wrong with having them. Kinda cool. Unless they're owned by the type of person that is a holocaust denier, then not so cool. How long until someone tries to make a commemorative crazy ass dictator/ruler set. Vlad the Impaler on the .25c chip. Pol Pot on the $1. Stalin on the $5. Genghis Khan on the $25. Hitler on the $100. Giant inlays.

Last edited:
Swastika, not offensive or undesirable for my collecting purposes. Rounded edges, unacceptable. Come at me with some square edge pentagram chips and I'm all about it.

I have an old USPCC "Official Rules of Card Games" book that came out in the late 20s/early 30s that advertises swastika chips (amongst other shapes). While the symbol was used for the Nazi party in the early 20s knowledge of its political use here in the States at that time would have been nil.

I have an old USPCC "Official Rules of Card Games" book that came out in the late 20s/early 30s that advertises swastika chips (amongst other shapes). While the symbol was used for the Nazi party in the early 20s knowledge of its political use here in the States at that time would have been nil.

From a 1923 catalog:

cUPWKyz.png

As discussed in the thread where I first posted that picture, check out the prices of the various chips and the cards above them. Really interesting when viewed in today's dollars. Just a few examples in a price then / price now format:

Paranoid inlaid chips (incl. swastika design): .075 each / 1.05 each
Engraved chips: .026 each / .36 each
Bicycle paper cards: .65 per deck / 9.07 per deck.

From the top of my head (I.E. Google):

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

Not necessarily evil. Swastika existed before the fuhrer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, without looking it up I have always known the swastika symbol as older than Germany by far and was used for the symbol of a few things, none evil until the Nazis adopted it.

And by the way @Zedlavo , my iPhone spells both with out problem, though I use thev Swype keyboard do that may be the difference.
Same with the Hitler mustache. People used to use that style a lot. Now it's considered offensive because of the obvious visual relationship.

Hitler and his Nazi party ruined a lot of stuff... Other than the obvious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom