Sun-Fly hybrid design brainstorming post (3 Viewers)

Any chance for a $2 in the Cali set? I’d love to have a limit set.

Fantastic! Perfect.

1- will I be able to order them with the “Old School” inlay?
2- please do 60mm buttons, a re-buy, bounty/seating chips!

Also, can we get the option of no currency symbols for tourney denoms?

Any chance for a $2 in the Cali set? I’d love to have a limit set.
What color are you thinking? What denominations would you use in a limit set? also would a non denominated chip work?

example non-denom chips I was playing around with

Fantastic! Perfect.

1- will I be able to order them with the “Old School” inlay?
2- please do 60mm buttons, a re-buy, bounty/seating chips!
1- This would depend on the GB organizer, but assuming no. Too many options causes a lot extra work. Last time we offered labels but the caused a lot of extra work so not sure it will be offered this time. I can also work with Gear to print the Old School label if needed.

2- I will probably do dealer buttons not sure about re-buy, bounty/seating chips. Unless there is a large demand, I will probably limit it to dealer buttons.

1- This would depend on the GB organizer, but assuming no. Too many options causes a lot extra work. Last time we offered labels but the caused a lot of extra work so not sure it will be offered this time. I can also work with Gear to print the Old School label if needed.

2- I will probably do dealer buttons not sure about re-buy, bounty/seating chips. Unless there is a large demand, I will probably limit it to dealer buttons.

I wonder if others also assumed that they could order the Vegas chips with the Old School labels.

I thought it was just a variation. I didnt realize that it was Union Station for Vegas and Old School for Cali.

Oh well.

Thank you for replying.

What color are you thinking? What denominations would you use in a limit set? also would a non denominated chip work?

example non-denom chips I was playing around with
View attachment 238993
I think the green would be a good choice. Limit set would probably only be the $2 and $20....maybe 1 rack of $100

I'm 100% in on the Union Station vegas colors tourney set. I'd also be in on a 60" dealer button (two if there is a white and black base option).

If we don't make Sunfly bounty chips for the union set and there was enough demand to hit the minimum quantity (and @p5woody approved the use of the union station design), I would consider running a 47mm bounty chip from ABC Gifts. I'd be in for 20 of these bounty chips.

There seems to be a lot of questions and confusion. This is just a brainstorming session right now. Everything is currently on the table no decisions have been made. The final decision of what will be offered is up to the GB organizer, shipper, and me of course. If we have a strong enough demand for something then I will try to accommodate.

Here is what I was planning to offer:
A) The Cali set with Old School label and no-label.
B) The Vegas set with union station label and no-label.
C) I will add a non-denomination chip to each set.
D) dealer buttons, I haven't started on those yet, I will start on those once the chips are finalized (any thoughts on these are welcome).

Options mentioned that I was not planning to offer:
  1. both labels on both color schemes. Since the labels have color matching, I would have to create another set of labels for each. We would then have 6 different sets. Cali colors with old school, union station, and no-label (the same for the Vegas chips).
  2. bounty, rebuy, or seating chips - I haven't put any thought into these yet so it is a blank canvas right now. So if your interested let me know what you have in mind. If it makes sense, this could also be done outside the GB (maybe use Gene - ABC Gifts).
  3. Just labels - these will not be offered as part of the GB, since the chips have the denomination I don't see the need to use different labels. This is different from the mountain top GB since people wanted to use different combinations. I can work with Gear so he can print any labels that might be needed. For example: If somebody likes the Vegas 5¢ chip but is getting a Cali set. They could order the Vegas 5¢ blank instead of the Cali 5¢ chip. Then order Old School labels from Gear outside the GB. (This will need to be confirmed with Gear)
  4. If we have enough demand, I could also add a $2 chip. Also specify Cali or Vegas colors, I may use one for both not sure yet.

Please speak up if you want any of the options (1-4) listed above and roughly how many you would order. This is not binding and I know it will be design dependent, just don't want to waste time on things if it is low volume. Sun-Fly has minimums we need to meet as well. Also add any options I missed

NOTE:
I would like to accommodate everybody, but each level of complexity adds a greater chance of an error being made somewhere along the line and more work for everybody involved. Errors can be made during the artwork creation process (artist), the ordering process (GB organizer), the creation process (Sun-Fly), or the shipping process (shipper). Each error depending on when it is discovered has a certain cost involved in fixing it. This was a lesson learned from the Mountain Top GB. (FYI- I covered the cost of all errors, it didn't make sense to have the GB organizer or shipper cover any of the cost.)

@BGinGA do you have anything else to add?

Not looking to derail this thread - it’s already fairly far along.

But is there a reason these Sun-Fly Hybrids seem to be more popular in 43mm? At least in my limited time on this forum, that’s the way it seems.

I have a sample set of the Mountain Tops and like everything about them - except the size. For whatever reason I just don’t like the chips that big. Same goes for the designs on this thread. Love everything about them, but I don’t think I can get past the size issue. Just not my cup of tea. If they were 39mm’s (like the Boardwalks) I’d snatch them up in a heartbeat,

Does making them 39mm change something about the chip, or am I just in the minority and most people simply prefer the 43mm sizing? Would love to see this exact thread geared toward a 39mm buy in the future.

I'm not tough to please. I will be ordering a small cash set for the Old School design. Not quite sure on the amount of chips, but probably in the 300 range.

There seems to be a lot of questions and confusion. This is just a brainstorming session right now. Everything is currently on the table no decisions have been made. The final decision of what will be offered is up to the GB organizer, shipper, and me of course. If we have a strong enough demand for something then I will try to accommodate.

Here is what I was planning to offer:
A) The Cali set with Old School label and no-label.
B) The Vegas set with union station label and no-label.
C) I will add a non-denomination chip to each set.
D) dealer buttons, I haven't started on those yet, I will start on those once the chips are finalized (any thoughts on these are welcome).

Options mentioned that I was not planning to offer:
  1. both labels on both color schemes. Since the labels have color matching, I would have to create another set of labels for each. We would then have 6 different sets. Cali colors with old school, union station, and no-label (the same for the Vegas chips).
  2. bounty, rebuy, or seating chips - I haven't put any thought into these yet so it is a blank canvas right now. So if your interested let me know what you have in mind. If it makes sense, this could also be done outside the GB (maybe use Gene - ABC Gifts).
  3. Just labels - these will not be offered as part of the GB, since the chips have the denomination I don't see the need to use different labels. This is different from the mountain top GB since people wanted to use different combinations. I can work with Gear so he can print any labels that might be needed. For example: If somebody likes the Vegas 5¢ chip but is getting a Cali set. They could order the Vegas 5¢ blank instead of the Cali 5¢ chip. Then order Old School labels from Gear outside the GB. (This will need to be confirmed with Gear)
  4. If we have enough demand, I could also add a $2 chip. Also specify Cali or Vegas colors, I may use one for both not sure yet.
Please speak up if you want any of the options (1-4) listed above and roughly how many you would order. This is not binding and I know it will be design dependent, just don't want to waste time on things if it is low volume. Sun-Fly has minimums we need to meet as well. Also add any options I missed

NOTE:
I would like to accommodate everybody, but each level of complexity adds a greater chance of an error being made somewhere along the line and more work for everybody involved. Errors can be made during the artwork creation process (artist), the ordering process (GB organizer), the creation process (Sun-Fly), or the shipping process (shipper). Each error depending on when it is discovered has a certain cost involved in fixing it. This was a lesson learned from the Mountain Top GB. (FYI- I covered the cost of all errors, it didn't make sense to have the GB organizer or shipper cover any of the cost.)

@BGinGA do you have anything else to add?
Nope, you did a bang-up job. :tup:

Not looking to derail this thread - it’s already fairly far along.

But is there a reason these Sun-Fly Hybrids seem to be more popular in 43mm? At least in my limited time on this forum, that’s the way it seems.

I have a sample set of the Mountain Tops and like everything about them - except the size. For whatever reason I just don’t like the chips that big. Same goes for the designs on this thread. Love everything about them, but I don’t think I can get past the size issue. Just not my cup of tea. If they were 39mm’s (like the Boardwalks) I’d snatch them up in a heartbeat,

Does making them 39mm change something about the chip, or am I just in the minority and most people simply prefer the 43mm sizing? Would love to see this exact thread geared toward a 39mm buy in the future.
You can do a search, I think the difference has been discussed. If not I suggest you start a new thread to discuss. My personal preference is 43mm, to me it sets these apart from other sets and the price makes these a great value. From what I read most prefer the 43mm feel over the 39mm.

Woody, are the glossy labels on your Woody’s cardroom chips the ones that came from sunfly or did you put those on yourself after? I like both sets the way they are with the updates and would want a dealer button and that is it. I’m probably looking at a small 400/500 cash set. Thx

is there a reason these Sun-Fly Hybrids seem to be more popular in 43mm?

Does making them 39mm change something about the chip
Sun-Fly hybrids are available printed on four different blanks -- 39mm with small or large recess, and 43mm with small or large recess. The combination of diameter and recess/label size make each of the four chips unique in terms of weight, sound, and feel (due to corresponding amount of surface friction, primarily).

The 43mm chip with smaller 25mm recess (HB005) is a custom mold created at the request of PCF members, and was first used for the ACB group buy. It is heavier (10g), has a much larger area of contact (surface friction = better stacking and less slippery), and the sound is deeper and more unique (less of a ceramic clink) than any of the other hybrid blanks.

I personally don't care much for the characteristics of the other three hybrid chips (including the other 43mm version) -- all are lighter and more slippery -- but the 43mm/25mm blank is a special bird imo. YMMV.

Sun-Fly hybrids are available printed on four different blanks -- 39mm with small or large recess, and 43mm with small or large recess. The combination of diameter and recess/label size make each of the four chips unique in terms of weight, sound, and feel (due to corresponding amount of surface friction, primarily).

The 43mm chip with smaller 25mm recess (HB005) is a custom mold created at the request of PCF members, and was first used for the ACB group buy. It is heavier (10g), has a much larger area of contact (surface friction = better stacking and less slippery), and the sound is deeper and more unique (less of a ceramic clink) than any of the other hybrid blanks.

I personally don't care much for the characteristics of the other three hybrid chips (including the other 43mm version) -- all are lighter and more slippery -- but the 43mm/25mm blank is a special bird imo. YMMV.

Good info, thanks. Carry on, everybody.

Woody, are the glossy labels on your Woody’s cardroom chips the ones that came from sunfly or did you put those on yourself after? I like both sets the way they are with the updates and would want a dealer button and that is it. I’m probably looking at a small 400/500 cash set. Thx
Labels were applied by Sun-Fly on all chips except the seating side of my bounty/seating chip.

Disclaimer- If this goes forward as a GB I might not be a participant, timing/$$$ dependent so take this with a grain of salt.

@p5woody here are some of my thoughts as someone who has not followed this thread closely or read all of the posts:

I think the first iteration of the Union station mock ups is far superior to the second. The $5000 from the updated version should be placed within the first version.

I would much prefer to use the currently mocked purple quarter from the Union Station(US) set with the Old School(OS) set. I’d also consider the OS nickel as a 0.25 or 0.50 frac for the OS set.

Make the fracs for each set non-denom. For those of use that play various stakes at our home games, a non denom frac is a huge plus. This way there’s no need to design new non denom chips for each set. This also might sway some members, myself included into joining the potential GB.

As stated ITT, I love the Niners colors on the OS $100! I’m not even much of a sports fan but that chip is hawt!

Mocks look great so far, hope this gets off the ground

bounty, rebuy, or seating chips - I haven't put any thought into these yet so it is a blank canvas right now. So if your interested let me know what you have in mind. If it makes sense, this could also be done outside the GB (maybe use Gene - ABC Gifts).
Minimum on the 47mm for ABC is 25. Should be no problem hitting this if others are in.

Still say the original Tan Green/White 5K from the Vegas set is the bomb, great looking chip.

Cali set is killer! :cool

No matter what this is going to cost me some money, I'm hoping the GB order will be available through mid-march after the early meetups so I can spend more. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom