Cash Game Suggested Denominations? (1 Viewer)

Balanar

Straight
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I've been lurking on and off this forum for a few years now, mostly drooling at some of the prettier sets that have been built. I'm in a place in my life right now to actually spend some money on decent poker sets as I have been hosting monthly games for army buddies of mine. Currently, I've been sinking in hours into the poker chip design tool as my plan is to build a beautiful end game set. However, I forsee alot of time and money being sunk into that and would like to purchase a mid tier set of china clays + custom labels that can be used to replace the cheap chips we're using now. After alot of deliberation, I've decided on the following breakdown of chips:

$50 BUY IN (Small blind $0.25/ Big Blind $0.50)
0.25 x 12 = $3
0.50 x 26 = $13
1.00 x 19 = $19
5.00 x 3 = $15
Total chips per player: 60

I know many people advise dropping the $0.50 chip in favour of more $0.25 chips but I've taken this approach for 2 main reasons:

- Using larger denominations should reduce the number of chips needed and reduce the total cost of the set.
- There are so many beautiful chip colours and designs that I needed an excuse to have 1 more variation of chip in the set.

Also, most of the action happens using a combination of $0.50 & $1 chips so I increased the numbers of those chips.

Currently, the plan is to purchase blank Milanos/ProGen 80s (inspired by this set) and use custom labels on them. I don't personally like the design of Pharaohs and Majestics so won't be going that route. I've heard SO MUCH awesome stuff about @Gear & @p5woody that I am 100% certain I will be needing their services in this venture.

I would love any advice/suggestions/criticism on the denomination layout and potential chips I should purchase to relabel. Would be even more fantastic if the chips have vibrant colours and don't need to be relabelled.

If looking to get maximum flexibilty, drop the 50c chips and go with 25c chips.

If looking to minimize chip count/cost (and still maintain flexibility), drop both the 25c and 50c chips and go with a single no-denomination chip that can be used as either fractional amount depending on the specific circumstances each game.

But getting both is just wasting money and needlessly limiting your flexibility (undervalued, and one of those things you don't need until you need it).

For a single-table 25c/50c game, you only need 100x 25c chips in play (and zero 50c chips). If you like bigger chip count stacks, then plan on 200x 25c chips (or no-denoms)

For the price of custom-labeled china clays (most of which have not insignificant quality issues), I'd recommend either stock ceramics or custom ceramics or hybrids for about the same money. A 600-chip set is plenty for a single table (25c/25c to $1/$2 stakes) if configured properly:

100 x 25c (or no-denom)
200 x $1
260 x $5
40 x $20 (or $25)

Thank you for both your replies guys! Ok I will definitely not go with both 25c and 50c chips. @BGinGA , could I seek some clarification on what this would look like in a game:

If looking to minimize chip count/cost (and still maintain flexibility), drop both the 25c and 50c chips and go with a single no-denomination chip that can be used as either fractional amount depending on the specific circumstances each game.

Am I right to say that the value of the non denomination chip would be decided priorto each game? So for instance, it would be set at 25c one evening and potentially be 50c another?

If so I am tempted to go with 25c as a non denomination would not look uniform to me in terms of labels.

For the price of custom-labeled china clays (most of which have not insignificant quality issues), I'd recommend either stock ceramics or custom ceramics or hybrids for about the same money.

I see. Haven't looked into ceramics or hybrids as I have some samples from CPC and I like the look and feel of clays. Will look into these options as well.

Am I right to say that the value of the non denomination chip would be decided priorto each game? So for instance, it would be set at 25c one evening and potentially be 50c another?
Correct. If playing a 25c/25c or 25c/50c game, your no-denom chips would be declared as quarters. But if playing 50c/50c or 50c/$1, they would be declared as being worth 50c in that game. Maximum flexibility with minimal chip purchase costs.

Regarding your CPC samples, there is a huge difference between those (and other similar high-end compression-molded clay chips) and the inexpensive mass-produced injection-molded plasticized china clay chips such as the Milano and Majestic lines. Quality custom labels will cost almost as much as the cc chips themselves, making midrange priced ceramics and hybrids (ceramics with labels) a much more attractive option.

Get lots of samples before making a purchase decision -- it is the absolute best advice you can follow.

I agree whole heartedly. Get ceramics or hybrids over custom labeled china clays. You’ll be much happier with them for virtually the same money. These are no substitute for CPCs though.

Correct. If playing a 25c/25c or 25c/50c game, your no-denom chips would be declared as quarters. But if playing 50c/50c or 50c/$1, they would be declared as being worth 50c in that game. Maximum flexibility with minimal chip purchase costs.

Regarding your CPC samples, there is a huge difference between those (and other similar high-end compression-molded clay chips) and the inexpensive mass-produced injection-molded plasticized china clay chips such as the Milano and Majestic lines. Quality custom labels will cost almost as much as the cc chips themselves, making midrange priced ceramics and hybrids (ceramics with labels) a much more attractive option.

Get lots of samples before making a purchase decision -- it is the absolute best advice you can follow.

Agree with @BGinGA here. Using NCV chips is my strategy too for making the most out of my current cash set. Definitely the way to go if you want to play different blinds without buying too many chips at first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom