Stud Games with a Button and Blinds (1 Viewer)

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
A friend of mine proposed the idea of playing stud games with blinds and a button instead of standard antes.

The idea is it would play just like a flop game. No bring in, just UTG. Still fixed limit.

This seems like a great way to teach hold'em players stud games (using the wrong rules, but it's easier for hold'em players to understand).

Anyone ever try this? Any speed bumps that I'm not seeing here?

I think you'd be better off having a dealer ante. In this case the game still plays exactly the same but you don't have to deal with everyone posting antes. We do this in my dealer call home game. The dealer just posts $.25 x number of players in the game.

I think you'd be better off having a dealer ante. In this case the game still plays exactly the same but you don't have to deal with everyone posting antes. We do this in my dealer call home game. The dealer just posts $.25 x number of players in the game.

Agreed. You can still use the button to designate the dealer, or the virtual dealer if you're counting hands in a mixed game.

Skipping the bring-in takes a significant amount of money off the table, from not only the low hand, but all those who might be tempted to call it.

It's a shame if hot-shot NLHE players can't understand a game as simple as stud that we old farts handle just fine. :cool:

Those are some interesting ideas and twists to the old stud games, guys.

Every once in a great while, late in the night, my group will play Raz (basically, seven card stud low, if you're not familiar). We play it no-limit, which is simply insane. It only happens once or twice a year, I think just for the shock value and psychological damage it causes.

Every once in a great while, late in the night, my group will play Raz (basically, seven card stud low, if you're not familiar). We play it no-limit, which is simply insane. It only happens once or twice a year, I think just for the shock value and psychological damage it causes.

Try no-limit Razzdugi!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom