Storing poker chips for a long time (1 Viewer)

CHIPnD

Two Pair
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting some of my poker chips in storage and I was wondering what is the best way to do this. I don’t plan on transporting them too much so first thing that came to mind was one of those aluminum cases with felt or foam. Over time, would there be a chance of that material deteriorating and damaging the chips?
Or would the plastic racks with covers be the best way?

Foam/felt or tight plastic racks?

I was thinking of putting some of my poker chips in storage and I was wondering what is the best way to do this. I don’t plan on transporting them too much so first thing that came to mind was one of those aluminum cases with felt or foam. Over time, would there be a chance of that material deteriorating and damaging the chips?

I wouldn't store in foam long term. It will absorb moisture and lead to mold etc..
Also it could break down and encoat your chips with plastic foam gunk. Plastic racks or chip boxes would be your best bet long term.

My ceramic chips are all in Chipco or clamshell plastic racks, but all the Paulson and CPC clays are in white, Warneke-style chip boxes.

edit: my reading comprehension is poor, carry on
I don't have any Apache ChipCo racks

Per the topic, my chips in long term storage are in lidded racks or werneke boxes.

Last edited:
How long is long term? Where are you storing them? Time and temperature can influence your choices greatly.

How long is long term? Where are you storing them? Time and temperature can influence your choices greatly.
Maybe 10 years or more. Take em out once a year to admire them and they go right back in the closet. These are racks of the same chips that I don’t intend plying with. Only collecting.

Oh, and if you’re going to do boxes, do what some ladies do for shoes. Take photos of what’s inside and label them on the outside.
Quick identification of what’s inside:
03D57CD6-3F92-4918-B405-4F28D9E2E377.jpeg

White boxes or chip trays. Not those cheap alloy poker chip cases. The black felt inside desintegrates after a while

I wouldn't store in foam long term. It will absorb moisture and lead to mold etc..
Also it could break down and encoat your chips with plastic foam gunk. Plastic racks or chip boxes would be your best bet long term.
I was thinking foam would protect them from drops/shock but I was afraid of it deterioration. Thanks for the tip.

Any suggestions on plastic rack cases with lids I can get off Amazon? I’m storing Paulson THC solids

I was thinking foam would protect them from drops/shock but I was afraid of it deterioration. Thanks for the tip.
Honestly, Ive been reading everything on this site for over five years and I think I’ve seen one single report of foam deteriorating and sticking to chips, so it doesn’t seem to be a common occurrence. Personally I wouldnt worry about it, especially if they’re stored in a temperature controlled place. But otherwise, cardboard boxes should be fine. Or really any kind of box or case. Hell, they should be fine stacked in racks. The room where they’re being stored seems far more important that’s anything else - no extreme heat and no direct sunlight would be my only concerns.

Hello!

Lot of great ides already, but here is my unscientific two cents.

1. For mint/collect chips, e.g., my Deadwoods, I put them in covered plastic racks. I could also put them in a case, but I like to look at them...LOL.

2. IMPORTANT: If your chips are new or near new Paulsons, do NOT store them in Paulson or Chipco racks. Use chip boxes or something that is slightly lose, the "made in China" stamped in the middle racks (see pic) work well, but don't stack them. Other generic racks are too loose.

Why not use Paulson racks? They are very snug, which is great for slightly used chips, but I had mint Paulsons that were stored in them and I noticed that they became slightly warped over time. I speculate the the slight pressure on the half of the chips that were in the rack might be the culpret. They are stored in my basement, which never gets hot or too cold, and they are never in the sunlight, so I have no idea what else could have caused it.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Cardboard chip boxes Paulson, Warneke or I prefer CPC boxes they are heavier cardboard and seem to hold up better than the other types. Matsui, Apache or the Octagon style covered racks would be next choice. Nothing too tight but not too loose either.

Main issue is the environment they are stored in. Just like most thing Granny kept in the root cellar, store then in a cool, dry place out of sunlight.

For the clamshell-type racks, a member here sells them, here’s his vendor page for these:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/justin-chip-racks-3-sizes-in-stock.105247/

He’s currently out of stock on the 40mm (for 39mm chips) but should have more to order in tte next week or so. I have these racks and love them, and many members are switching over all their racks to these.
Thanks for the info. With this style is it ok to stack Paulson THC? Is 40 mm the standard size for THC?

Thanks for the info. With this style is it ok to stack Paulson THC? Is 40 mm the standard size for THC?
Yes, it’s perfect for 39mm Paulsons. Some brand new CPC clays can be very snug, depending on the mold or base color.
They stack amazingly, there’s little feet and indentations that mesh when they’re re stacked to be more stable. What I like is that when stacked, the rack on top is not touching the chips below like with traditional racks.

What about a light vacuum seal . Not super tight but enough to keep them air tight and lubricated . It can even be done in the racks or boxes

Whenever I get one of those small desiccant packets in a package, I add it to one of my chip drawers or cases.

I tend to assume that humidity/moisture is the biggest potential problem for stored chips. But I have no actual science or data for that assumption, just seems like common sense.

Whenever I get one of those small desiccant packets in a package, I add it to one of my chip drawers or cases.

I tend to assume that humidity/moisture is the biggest potential problem for stored chips. But I have no actual science or data for that assumption, just seems like common sense.
Are you talking about clays? What do you think the humidity will do? I guess mold and mildew if it’s extreme?

I only own Paulsons and ASM/CPCs.

Mold/mildew, I suppose… But the combo of dampness with heat strike me as a recipe for warping and/or color transfer, moreso than just heat alone.

I only own Paulsons and ASM/CPCs.

Mold/mildew, I suppose… But the combo of dampness with heat strike me as a recipe for warping and/or color transfer, moreso than just heat alone.
I’ve definitely seen significant color transfer on ceramics that looks like it might have been more heat/humidity induced than from rubbing.
I wonder if we’ll start seeing that creep up on this huge new wave of cards molds? Or if those older Chipcos were printed with a different process?

How about singles in air tites? Would the foam mess up the chips for long term storage?

They definitely protect from dropping for accidentally damaging.
569859C6-A586-4EEF-B8D6-971731D81A07.jpeg

If worried about foam transfer in a case, a sheet of thin archival paper or a glassine sheet between foam and the chips might provide some protection. But I would be more concerned about the more porous dyed faux felt lining the trays of some cheaper cases. (I’ve modified my Versa cases to take racks instead.)

I’ve seen a few chips that were stored long-term get some black schmutz on them, especially on the ends where the chips rub more.

All my chips are stored in my man cave in regular transparent China racks (to look at ;)) all with cover. So no sun, permanent cool place and I control humidity

IMG_3283.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom