Cash Game Starting Regular Home Game - Inviting the Right Guys (1 Viewer)

CVPokerCave

Waiting List
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everybody!

I’m new to the forum, and this seemed like the right place to ask a bunch of questions.

I just finished building a 10 person table, but there’s about 15-20 guys that I know might be interested. I’d like to start a monthly game, but I don’t know if I want to host a 2-table tourney every month. How do y’all tackle invites and all that? First idea is to invite 10 and then have alternates ready to go.

I think I might start separate threads for other questions.

If the "right guys" is the most important aspect, then I'd hand select the people to invite and build the game slowly.

I find that most players have preferred stakes and game styles. For example, there are a few players when I host that will play anything, but most either prefer cash or tourneys... some prefer small stakes while others won't play for less than $100 buy-ins.

One cool thing to try early on (which I think I'll be doing for 2023) is to create a poker schedule for the next 2-3 months (or more) with a variety of games and send it out to pretty much everyone you would invite. Host 2-3 tourneys a month and 2-3 cash games with different stakes per month (of course more or less based on your own desired hosting frequency)... and then communicate that the games will fill up fast with the first 10 to rsvp. You can manually keep the list or use Evite etc to manage your waitlist. Ultimately those who only want a specific style of game will pick those games on your schedule, those open for all games will rsvp early, and you'll always have a full game.

...Or, hand select your players, and if someone backs out fill them in with others further down the list like Alex suggested. Either approach works depending on what's important to you.

Cheers!

Start small. One table. Send out 10-15 invites let the know first to rsvp gets them a seat. Like @natumes said. Try to get a full 1 table consistently before more. If it’s a cash game, stagger a few alternates to come late so others can leave early without guilt of killing the game. Once your players see your game fills up they will soon know it’s important to rsvp right away.

I wouldn’t plan too far in advance. 1 week notice seems to be perfect for my games.

2-3 week notice or event a monthly schedule in theory sounds great but whatever other activity/engagement that could be the same night is probably going to take priority anyways over poker. So if you go with one week notice you should have the people that have no plans to pull the trigger and commit.

Last edited:
In my experience I’ll get less than half of the invite group to show up. Especially for a new game. Once you’re a little more established you’ll know the core group who’ll be regulars and add from there. One good source has always been asking your regs if they know anyone family, neighbors, coworkers, etc). It’s always, always super important to be developing your network and adding people. Seemingly good, healthy games can die so quick for any number of reasons.

My approach:

For cash games, no seats are reserved. I send out an invite and that's that. If the seats run out then people are more than welcome to hang around.

For tourneys, players need to RSVP. I invite the VIPS first and the rest a few days later. If someone no-shows, I tell them to not apologize to me but to the first person in the waiting list, since he/she got screwed out of a tourney.

I sold my two home built octagons and built a 10 man oval so I instantly took on invite issues.

Text the regulars and fill with tier 2 and tier 3 attendees.

We’re building a second round table that will be able to comfortably seat 7 maybe 8. We’ll be ready for the occasional tourney but also will split cash games when we hit 11+.

I feel growing your game as a host means trying to always have a seat. Your core of regulars could swell from the 8 or 9 faithful to 12 or more.

Home games are like house plants. They need constant attention.

Build a backup table and consider running the occasional tourney in favor of the regular cash game.
B8A6922D-25F0-485B-B104-6C70F2A2DDB6.jpeg

Last edited:
For perspective, I spread a cash game on Friday and Saturday nights. Most of my regulars play both nights but the two night option resonates with people that play one or the other.

Poker is good.

I sold my two home built octagons and built a 10 man oval so I instantly took on invite issues.

We’re building a second round table that will be able to comfortably seat 7 maybe 8. We’ll be ready for the occasional tourney but also will split cash games when we hit 11+.

I feel growing your game as a host means trying to always have a seat. Your core of regulars could swell from the 8 or 9 faithful to 12 or more.

Build a backup table and consider running the occasional tourney in favor of the regular cash game.View attachment 1053632
i have considered a light like you have hear, is it in the way ever? people bump heads on it or faces? i see yours is low, did you ever have it higher?

Build a backup table and consider running the occasional tourney in favor of the regular cash game.View attachment 1053632
Gosh, that table is beautiful. You did a great job.

i have considered a light like you have hear, is it in the way ever? people bump heads on it or faces? i see yours is low, did you ever have it higher?
Look for kitchen lights on Craigslist or whatever you use. The five bulb, “octopus” versions are great for round tables. I paint the glass to match the playing cloth.

We run the light so that you can just see the player across from you without lowering your gaze. We go as low as we can. We also dim or kill the lights the remainder of the room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom