Standup Comedy (1 Viewer)

Aziz Ansari and Kumail Nanjiani both have great standup specials as well, for some more recent stuff.

I knew Aziz from college (NYU Stern) and had some classes together. He was really dedicated to comedy. Our business law professor even let him perform some standup for the class. It's nice to see how successful he had become.

Brian Regan has a new special live this Saturday on Comedy Central. Rodney Carrington is good. I never really got into the Blue Collar Comedy Tour guys, but Carrington is solid. Not sure if he even ever did one of the Blue Collar tours.

How is Lewis Black not mentioned here?

I got to see Mitch Hedberg, and Seinfeld, but I don't go to many shows.

I used to play cards regularly with Josh Sneed. He has a clean delivery like Brian Reagan.

Watched the new Anthony Jeselnik on Netflix over the weekend. I thought it was excellent, but if you offend easily you might not like it.

Can't say for sure because I haven't read it all, but this article looks fantastic. If you've heard the stories about the Comedy Store in LA (or even if you haven't I guess), you will probably want to check it out. Featuring Pryor, Hicks, Kinison, Dice, Maron, Carrey and a bunch more.

Living Above the Store

Also, I watched Amy Schumer's latest HBO special the other night and it was pretty great for the most part. A bit to reliant on typical applause lines ("Vaginas are crazy amirite?"), but still well worth watching.

Great article! Whenever I would go out to L.A. to visit friends we would hit up the comedy clubs most every night. I have been to The Improv many more times than The Comedy Store though. The Laugh Factory I think only once or twice. I got really lucky on most trips out there and got to see some really amazing comics.

Seeing a stand up show at either The Improv or The Comedy Store in L.A. is like nothing else. Maybe it was just me growing up during one of the great booms of stand up comedy, but you can really feel the history just oozing out of both places.

If you haven't seen the new Bo Burnham special Make Happy on Netflix definitely check it out. Bo is not a standard stand up act and borders on performance art. His first special is also amazing. Here is one of the songs and one of my favs from the new special...

Bumping an old one to prop up a comic I've been completely loving lately, Ian Karmel. Dude is getting sick gigs as a writer (Late Late Show, Grammies, etc.), but his stand up is hysterical.

Parts 1 and 2 of his Conan appearance from late 2015:

also a big fan of the Dean Martin roasts, the days when you could take the piss out of anybody and anything without having to worry bout a bullet or subpoena

Those are these days as well, not much gun play after roasts unless you're in Syria or something. :D

The new Bill Burr Netflix thing was pretty good, didn't regret watching it that's for sure.

This is one of the best comedy bits I’ve seen in a while. Something about it just cracks me up

Tom Segura and Bert Kreisher are good. They have a podcast together called 2 Bears 1 Cave. Great dynamic between them.

Bert's most famous bit is the The Machine

Bert spent $1500 to make this goofy dance video to promote his tour

Tom spent $15,000 to make a dance video just to give Bert shit

Wife and I have babysitter and tickets lined up to see Ian Karmel next weekend when he swings through Austin. We had tickets to see him (well, a live All Fantasy Everything show) in 2020, and we know how that ended up working out for live shows. So happy to get the mulligan a few years later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom