Square tables (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a square table or a rectanglar one. Does anybody have one? I know it sounds stupid because we’re all used to the newer traditional shapes, but for the right number of players, they’d be pretty efficient and easier to build. I speak from experience, having logged many hours playing 6-handed on a perfectly sized small rectangular dining table at a friends house. I’d think a 4x4 would work just as well for 8 players as as any octagon, circle, or rectangle.

Those fold out vinyl covered squares worked great for a generation of bridge players. Why did this shape never catch on with modern poker tables?

BBO tables has some

3FF140B4-580F-4188-BBD9-62CBDE629B00.jpeg

One of the league hosts still uses a square table top.

It sucks because it's too big (can't reach the center without standing) and seats only 8 (but has had 10 seated for a tournament). It's fine for a post-tournament cash game that rarely gets more than 8 players, but whenever I get seated at it for the tournament, I always feel like I'm at the kid's table at Thanksgiving.

FWIW, a smaller square table would work better, but a circle of the same size (diameter = length) would be superior.

A rectangle works in a pinch (like a banquet table), but I'd never build a rectangle over an oval.

FWIW, a smaller square table would work better, but a circle of the same size (diameter = length) would be superior.
Why do you think? Because it would be more flexible for 7 or 9? Or some other reason?

Eight players at a 4x4 square would be extremely tight, especially if those players included people like me, @Ben, and @CraigT78.
I’m just tossing numbers out there, but I feel like 24 inches per player is within Tony Chan’s recommended parameters.

If there is room for a square table, there should be room for an octagon or a round one, for a given total seating capacity.
Rectangulars and ovals adapt better to room shapes and space, and can accomodate more people for a given space. That's why they are (unfortunately) the norm.
My point is that if you have the option, space-wise, to go for a space-consuming shape, round is the best.
I have posted this somewhere else too, I can't remember. It's my small rectangular topper, size and shape dictated by the dining table underneath.
topper6.jpg
Topper corner.jpg
dining rectangular.jpg

We have a 59" square dining table that seats 8 fine. Main problem is finding a topper large enough so I haven't used it for any serious games.

I’m just tossing numbers out there, but I feel like 24 inches per player is within Tony Chan’s recommended parameters.

But you really don't have 24" per player because at each corner, two players are effectively trying to put their legs in the same space.

With my giant crap-kickers, I'd have to sit two feet away from the table.

I'm going to build a 7' x 4' rectangle, corners will be probably a 2 foot radius. Here is a I-suck-at-art sketch. Max 8 players, jealous of the guys on the end who get 48 inches of space. I will probably go down to 44" or so on the width.
4 x 7 sketch.jpg

The 22" minimum for players for a comfortable rail space kind of applies to round, oval and octagon tables. Maybe square tables with rounded corners, but as someone else mentioned the corner gets in the way of the space in front of you. Your designated area for cards & chips gets shared with your corner neighbor.

Screenshot 2018-08-09 16.37.00.png

For the other shapes of tables, you usually get the majority of space that's in front of you.

A square table isn't a bad idea, but I think the 4'x4' size isn't enough for 8. And although it's easier to cut & build, it's much much harder to upholster corners.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom