split spots on Diamond Square mold from CPC? (4 Viewers)

My Trimoons. I’m pretty sure one of the reasons is Clay density like previously posited. I can’t find a single one but remember having some on the Devil chips.
BE7847EB-5FC1-4C78-9CB0-56758196503A.jpeg

I think a few actually brings the chips some character, like on Joshes above but 40 percent?! Geez
Echoing what a lot of others said here: I love to see occasional squeezed/split spots. To me it's a big part of what gives custom compression chips their character and beauty.

But for me personally, 40% goes beyond occasional and into the realm of defective. I hope to put in a CPC order this year, and I also hope that by then we'll have a handle on what molds/colors/other conditions might contribute to a high chance of splits.

EDIT: Changed CSC to CPC, not remotely sure how that happened!

Last edited:
Echoing what a lot of others said here: I love to see occasional squeezed/split spots. To me it's a big part of what gives custom compression chips their character and beauty.

But for me personally, 40% goes beyond occasional and into the realm of defective. I hope to put in a CSC order this year, and I also hope that by then we'll have a handle on what molds/colors/other conditions might contribute to a high chance of splits.
I agree with you. Some splits adds character to the set. 40% is not some character.

My E&C set w weighted colors.
The "splits" reds bothered me and were remade by ASM.
The white "squeezed" never bothered me.

My other spotted CPC set (Haymaker's) has only a few splits with the 4v12 spots and I consider the entire set to be impeccable; albeit lonely.
IMG_20210204_124130069.jpg

IMG_20210204_124904799.jpg

Split / squeezed chips are nothing new. Either most people don't consider to be rejects or people have been hesitant to bring it up publicly.
The issue is too wide spread and random to eliminate with 100% certainty. Only CPC knows for sure.

This is my 3rd custom set from CPC, well over 4K chips between them all. I probably have 20 chips that are true splits before this. A very small % obviously. The small amount is cool, adds character to the chips/set. When it gets to 40%+ it looks like there are 2 different chip spots instead of 1.

This is my 3rd custom set from CPC, well over 4K chips between them all. I probably have 20 chips that are true splits before this. A very small % obviously. The small amount is cool, adds character to the chips/set. When it gets to 40%+ it looks like there are 2 different chip spots instead of 1.
Too bad can't do one color above the split and another below. Talk about design tool havoc.

This got me to go back over my chips and take a better look to see how many had this issue. Out of around 360ish chips, I had maybe 40 with a fully split butterscotch spot. Saw 2 retro lavender splits. Personally they do not bother me at all as it's more like 10%, but if I was looking at 40% of the chips with fully split spots I would probably have been a bit disappointed.

Put me down as one who loves split spots. However, chips in OP are definitely a bit much. Once the split is complete (squeeze is continuous?), I don't want to see 40% of the chips like that.

No splits exactly, but my original zebra chip spots were all very thinView attachment 629114i ordered an extra barrel with a reorder I was doing and they came out much better View attachment 629115

I always figured that bright white in particular and other DG bases were more prone to it
Roughly 900 out of the 1000 chips I have coming are DG based... sooo, let’s hope you’re wrong on that theory!

Roughly 900 out of the 1000 chips I have coming are DG based... sooo, let’s hope you’re wrong on that theory!
My other DG base chips are completely fine. I think it's a combo of base and certain spots. So I wouldn't be worried.

I also had this issue....tri moons on scrowns with gray base with light green, white and lavender spots (all weighted colors)
A8041B4E-F89B-4B0D-956F-DFD6F644DD4B.jpeg

Not a particularly large number in total and it did bug me, but I just figured part of the custom production process. I think I would have been much more upset if in that 40%-of-the-chips range. FWIW I think only the lavender spots actually had this effect but I would have to look again (basing that off this pic).

I haven't been through the whole thread yet but I had the same issue with my $5 chip on the scrown mold. Retro red base and the splits are a maroon spot.

I'll have to run through the numbers again but I believe it was around 120 chips out of roughly 600. It's a real bummer and it bothers me. They don't seem to be as bad as @Rhodeman77s chips but with the money that I dropped I certainly wasn't expecting split spots.

Screenshot_20210204-093738.png

I haven't been through the whole thread yet but I had the same issue with my $5 chip on the scrown mold. Retro red base and the splits are a maroon spot.

I'll have to run through the numbers again but I believe it was around 120 chips out of roughly 600. It's a real bummer and it bothers me. They don't seem to be as bad as @Rhodeman77s chips but with the money that I dropped I certainly wasn't expecting split spots.

View attachment 629187

Unacceptable.... did you bring it to their attention

BCC never considered split spots a defect, and when I ordered from them I bought plenty of extras (for the most part things worked out). I also recall Paulson Vineyard $100's (8V version) having plenty of split spots, so maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

I think it's a testament to ASM/CPC's customer service, that they were/are actually willing to redo such chips. Not saying anyone should be happy about split spots on their chips, but maybe we shouldn't pile on about it either.

No splits exactly, but my original zebra chip spots were all very thinView attachment 629114i ordered an extra barrel with a reorder I was doing and they came out much better View attachment 629115

I always figured that bright white in particular and other DG bases were more prone to it

i have the exact same issue with my 6DS18s, Bright White base. i ordered another barrel as part of an add-on, curious to see how they will compare.

it certainly does seem to be tied mainly to unweighted base colors (which, to be fair, they do explicitly warn against using as base colors).

i have the exact same issue with my 6DS18s, Bright White base. i ordered another barrel as part of an add-on, curious to see how they will compare.

it certainly does seem to be tied mainly to unweighted base colors (which, to be fair, they do explicitly warn against using as base colors).
The web site says they are “recommended for edge spots” No reason given. Just an up charge to do so.

2948E306-3E43-4F80-8657-74B22CCE18E7.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom