split spots on Diamond Square mold from CPC? (1 Viewer)

I’ll check my recently run trims when I get home. Don’t remember seeing any though. Even if, it doesn’t bother me. It’s just part of the process.
The art of hand making clay chips IMO, all of my BCC MG V2s are split... honestly doesn't matter to me one bit! But I understand some have concerns with it!

@David Spragg I hope this doesn't mean pulling those edge spot options, maybe a picture and a warning in the order process. Some of us don't mind either way.

Ben

On my recent order, there are some issues with the $1 chip as well. DG peacock base with tri moon spots. Only the butterscotch spot has the issue though. Certainly not on every chip, and it honestly doesn't bother me that much as it is limited to maybe 20% or less of them. You can see some of it here

DSCF8023-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah squished/squeezed spots are normal and don't bother me personally (although when extreme gets to be a little disappointing) but split spots make me cringe for some reason...and I love/cherish the fact that these are handmade products but just can't deal with that one issue.

Definitely on the Tri moon scrowns made last year!
View attachment 628808
View attachment 628809
View attachment 628810
Sorry at work so snipping screen shots from pictures. Baybe not half but close. They don't bother me like many others. For me I look at it as proof they are hand made and not perfect. But I guess we all have different opinions on that one! Lol

None of the others in this set, just the tri moons

Those wouldn’t bother me at all either. The “V” notches add character to the chips. Even a small amount of true splits like mine wouldn’t be a major issue. But so many,.....

David is going to make some more, so hopefully there are 50+ good chips in the lot.

I actually like the way it looks with the 6d18 spot pattern, definitely adds character. Maybe I will keep the spots on the small side with the DG/unweighted base colors to mitigate the issue a little.

Is there value in gathering Color / Spot / Mold data for when this happens? Seems like there should be higher risk combos right?

I had Dayglo Tiger base with Tri Moon Black, Grey, Charcoal spots on A Mold. Only the blacks were affected, and none of them split completely, but they were pretty deep. Grey and Charcoal were perfect along with all other base color spot combos

This makes me VERY nervous, with one very large and 2 small CPC orders on the way. I *hate* split spots (you should have seen my battles with HoldemPoker about the Mardi Gras chips, back in the day).

I agree. That is why I couldn't keep the Mardi Gras chips. I "HATE" split spots. Probably as much as anything. I've been contemplating a hot stamped set with a complicated spot pattern. Before I drop 2500 on a one table set I'll have to reconsider things.

Good on David/CPC for tackling this and pumping out 100 more chips. I just hope it’s not a wider issue.

I don’t mind a few “V” spots here and there. Fully split spots on the other hand would absolutely drive me up the wall, especially in that quantity. As @detroitdad wrote, for the amount they cost ($3700+ for my set) I would expect a certain degree of QC.

Good on David/CPC for tackling this and pumping out 100 more chips. I just hope it’s not a wider issue.

I don’t mind a few “V” spots here and there. Fully split spots on the other hand would absolutely drive me up the wall, especially in that quantity. As @detroitdad wrote, for the amount they cost ($3700+ for my set) I would expect a certain degree of QC.

It has nothing to do with QC, though. Either David can make the known spot/mold combos cost way more if they throw out every split spot (then it becomes QC if they leave the factory), or it’s just made known that this happens in some certain combinations due to the manufacturing process and we must order accordingly.

So in reading through this...the issue is with TriMoon spots using an unweighted base color with weighted spots? Is that everyone's experience?

@liftapint, if this is the case, you may want to reconsider color choices if you still can.
I've contacted David to see if it's an issue that can be predicted with spot choices/color combinations.

With nearly $8000 in chips across the 3 orders...I'm quite nervous at the moment.

So in reading through this...the issue is with TriMoon spots using an unweighted base color with weighted spots? Is that everyone's experience?

@liftapint, if this is the case, you may want to reconsider color choices if you still can.
Not my experience.

If that’s true, then that’s somewhat reassuring, at least for me. I don’t have any tri-moons and no chips with unweighted base colours and weighted spots (except for my $100, but I only ordered 30x of those or so). My $20 is a weighted base and a mix of unweighted/weighted spots.

Had same with my LCrown tri-moons. I’ll look at the rate, and while it’s odd, it doesn’t bother me. I’d prefer it not to happen, but given the choice, will order again as-is vs not being able to order.

If that’s true, then that’s somewhat reassuring, at least for me. I don’t have any tri-moons and no chips with unweighted base colours and weighted spots (except for my $100, but I only ordered 30x of those or so). My $20 is a weighted base and a mix of unweighted/weighted spots.
Not sure if it's the whole truth. Just seems to be part of it.

Recent Jockey mold order of 900 chips and this was the extent of split spots. All 3D14 and 4D14 so maybe the larger spots increase the likelihood of split spots?

JockeyMold_splits.jpg

While certain inserts and color combos might be more prone to having split spots, it seems to me like that’s only half the story. The person operating the machine must balance all the factors, and with good experience is probably able to alleviate issues like this.

As an example, Ambrosia Garden A-mold chips from 2009. About third of the 4A14 chips ordered came with split spots as shown below. Those chips were remade, but the set also had the problem of uneven thickness between denoms, which makes me think maybe the machine operator was having a bad day... :unsure:

209t6yh-jpg.141664

It has nothing to do with QC, though. Either David can make the known spot/mold combos cost way more if they throw out every split spot (then it becomes QC if they leave the factory), or it’s just made known that this happens in some certain combinations due to the manufacturing process and we must order accordingly.
Fair enough - call it a consistency issue then.

In any case, if the issue isn’t one that can be addressed, your options seem valid. As it is, there’s no disclaimer or “warning” so to speak that this could be an issue. If it’s an ongoing issue, there should be, especially when we’re talking about an issue affecting 40% of the final product.

If however we’re talking about an exception here and the reality is more like @ThinkingFold ’s experience, then that’s something I could live with. 16/900 wouldn’t irk me, personally.

Last edited:
Recent Jockey mold order of 900 chips and this was the extent of split spots. All 3D14 and 4D14 so maybe the larger spots increase the likelihood of split spots?

View attachment 628914

I did just find a double stamped chip though while looking for split spots. Very cool. Turning this into a card capper.

JockeyMold_.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom