Space rental for poker in NYC (1 Viewer)

3ars

High Hand
Reaction score
I have a bunch of friends in manhattan, and we try to play poker together every once in a while. but since manhattan apartments aren’t very accommodating for large groups, i was wondering if there were any spaces for rent in the area where we could play as a large group, maybe setup some home tournaments with 2-3 tables?

You’re going to need a landlord who is either cool with renting to gamblers, or who is very absent from the property…
Lol i meant more like a service that rents out a space for a few hours while we play

Lol i meant more like a service that rents out a space for a few hours while we play

Understood. But if it is short-term, temporary space—say, some sort of meeting space—how are you going to store tables and chips etc. there?

(I assume you don’t want to move everything in and out for every game.)

Back in the ’90s, people in NYC used to do all kinds of stuff with storage units… Host piano lessons, exercise, etc. I suppose a poker game might be possible, and that would allow for gear to be kept in it.

AFAIK such facilities are now far more carefully monitored, with today’s tech. A couple dozen guys trooping in and out on the regular would probably attract attention.

Understood. But if it is short-term, temporary space—say, some sort of meeting space—how are you going to store tables and chips etc. there?

(I assume you don’t want to move everything in and out for every game.)

Back in the ’90s, people in NYC used to do all kinds of stuff with storage units… Host piano lessons, exercise, etc. I suppose a poker game might be possible, and that would allow for gear to be kept in it.

AFAIK such facilities are now far more carefully monitored, with today’s tech. A couple dozen guys trooping in and out on the regular would probably attract attention.
Definitely not trying to do something shady. I was just inquiring if any services like this existed. I know you can hire dealers for a few hours, and some services even let you rent tables and chips. I was wondering if similar services existed where spaces would also be rented out. Just a friendly tournament among friends, no rakes or anything like that

I have a bunch of friends in manhattan, and we try to play poker together every once in a while. but since manhattan apartments aren’t very accommodating for large groups, i was wondering if there were any spaces for rent in the area where we could play as a large group, maybe setup some home tournaments with 2-3 tables?
VFW posts that have bingo will rent out their bingo hall on off nights.

The Waldorf or Four Seasons. That's how Molly Bloom rolled. :)
Man, that mahogany room they had at one point. I know it was a film set but looked pretty incredible.

I dealt for a while in a basement type place in the upper Bronx; looked very stereotypical with the dart boards and gross smoky tables, I've always wanted to deal for one of the classy rooms. Trade the faded Mets jersey for a bookshelf lol.

Years ago I played with a group who had a weekly game in the back room of a bar, who was happy to have us so long as we paid for our drinks. I don't remember the name of the place (E30s I think), but I would think that there are plenty of places that wouldn't mind the extra business on a slow night as long as its just friends and no rake.

Years ago I played with a group who had a weekly game in the back room of a bar, who was happy to have us so long as we paid for our drinks. I don't remember the name of the place (E30s I think), but I would think that there are plenty of places that wouldn't mind the extra business on a slow night as long as its just friends and no rake.

That would be cool, except that bars can easily lose their liquor license for that, unraked or not.

I know a NY bar (upstate) which got slammed because they had a jokey hipster BINGO night as a one-off event.

A VFW or American Legion hall could do it if some proceeds went to their charity. Pretty sure there is at least one of those in Brooklyn.

Private clubs might be another option… But you’d need to know a member.

@3ars, very difficult to find such venue … number one problem for anyone who wants to have a weekly game in Manhattan is finding a suitable venue… there are legal, optical and numerous other issues, not to mention cost…and I’ve had a private game here for 9 years

Private clubs might be another option… But you’d need to know a member.
Zero Bond and Casa Cipriani :tup: University Club used to be an option, but no longer is

Look into fraternal organizations. I know they provide venues on the cheap to host parties, baby showers, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom