Tourney Something Other Than a NLHE Tourney Please! (1 Viewer)

My favorites are SOHE and PLO-8. But for a tournament I don't like split pot games.

My next tournament, we are doing mixed hold 'em games, trying to get better hands each game/round, but using a standard flop, turn, river each game.

Hold 'em

Pineapple
Crazy Pineapple
Upside-Down Pineapple
Very Crazy Pineapple
Lazy Pineapple
Super Hold'em

Watermellon
Ludicrous Pineapple

Thermonuclear Armageddon Pineapple
Scrotum

3-Hand Hold'em
what are these ?

Upside-Down Pineapple
Very Crazy Pineapple
Lazy Pineapple
Super Hold'em

if I may ask

Check out abby99's Mixed-Game Cards in the Resources section for a huge list of mixed games, including those!

Upside-Down Pineapple: Deal each player a third hole card after dealing the flop; everyone discards one hole card after betting on the flop.
Very Crazy Pineapple: Deal each player three hole cards; everyone discards one hole card after betting on the turn.
Lazy Pineapple: Deal each player three hole cards; keep all three the entire hand; may use a max of two hole cards to make a hand (i.e. the game is equivalent to discarding one of the three hole cards after betting on the river).

Super Hold'em: Deal each player three hole cards; keep all three the entire hand; may use all three hole cards to make a hand.

I like @Natskule 's sequence of games! It has a nice logical progression to it, while keeping all the games in the same family (get one or more extra cards, and discard the extras at varying points during the hand). Scrotum is a little different, but that's okay, because everyone should play Scrotum. :)

Last edited:
On Saturday we were going to do a tournament, but might just stick to cash. Still going with a progressive hold'em schedule though.

Hold'em
Pineapple
Upside-Down Pineapple
Crazy Pineapple
Very Crazy Pineapple
Lazy Pineapple
Rio Bravo
Hollywood
Super Hold'em
Watermelon
Irish
Ludicrous Pineapple
Thermonuclear Armageddon Pineapple
3-Hand Hold'em

In 3 weeks I'm looking at a 7 card stud mix, which will get a bit crazy as these guys like their wild cards. I'll have to include Dr Pepper, chase the lady, (4s,whores and 1-eyed jacks), along with straight Stud, Razz, Hi/Lo, Chicago. Probably even throw in Roll your Own and No Peek, Be more gambol less poker, but still fun.

Then an Omaha night, probably include Scrotum in there.

In 3 weeks I'm looking at a 7 card stud mix, which will get a bit crazy as these guys like their wild cards. I'll have to include Dr Pepper, chase the lady, (4s,whores and 1-eyed jacks), along with straight Stud, Razz, Hi/Lo, Chicago. Probably even throw in Roll your Own and No Peek, Be more gambol less poker, but still fun.
We enjoy Dakota: Seven card stud, ace-five high-low split with declare, low hole wild, option to buy the river up, roll your own all day long.

As a house rule, if the dealer calls it exactly as written above (instead of just calling "Dakota") then he gets his ante back. :D

We enjoy Dakota: Seven card stud, ace-five high-low split with declare, low hole wild, option to buy the river up, roll your own all day long.

As a house rule, if the dealer calls it exactly as written above (instead of just calling "Dakota") then he gets his ante back. :D
I'm not sure I understood all of that. Please explain/define...
  • "with declare"
  • "buy the river up"
  • "roll your own"
  • "all day long"
I'm pretty sure I get "low hole wild", but does that apply to just the lowest card including suit rank, or if 2+ players hold a deuce, they're all wild?

I'm not sure I understood all of that. Please explain/define...
  • "with declare"
  • "buy the river up"
  • "roll your own"
  • "all day long"
I'm pretty sure I get "low hole wild", but does that apply to just the lowest card including suit rank, or if 2+ players hold a deuce, they're all wild?
Good or bad, I think I understood it all.

At the end, players will declare if they are playing high or low or both, usually by showing a number of chips in their hand, 1 = low, 2= high, 3 = both.

buy the river up, pay the pot to have the last card up. Advantage is it doesn't screw up your low hole card wild. You don't want to draw a 2, if you have 3 5s.

All cards are dealt down, and you turn one over each street before betting. Lots of strategy on what to show.

Not sure on "all day long".

Super Hold'em: Deal each player three hole cards; keep all three the entire hand; may use all three hole cards to make a hand.
This one is disturbing and dangerous. The only experience I have playing it was as part of a SOHE type game. I played it at @MaxB ‘s game, and I don’t remember what the other game was - may have been Omaha, may have been Holdem; I’m just not sure. It was tolerable because it was part of a split pot game and because there didn’t seem to be any terrible players at the table.
But I can’t imagine playing super Holdem straight up in a game where there were some maniacs or idiots at the table. It’s just dangerous.

That's it!

FWIW, "Roll your own" usually means deal the first three hole cards down and choose which one will be up. "Roll your own all day long" means every street is dealt down, and you choose which of your current face-down cards to turn up and be that street's upcard (as you described). Some people don't make that distinction, though.

Also (for Zombie), "low hole wild" means each person's lowest face-down card is wild, as are all matching cards, for them only. So everyone starts with a guaranteed wild card (because everyone has a lowest hole card) and might have more if they have additional cards matching that rank whether face-up or face-down (so suits don't matter when determining lowest card - if you have three fours with at least one of them down and no deuces or treys down, then all your fours are wild, as would be the last four if you get dealt it on later streets). So everyone has at least one wild card, but might have more, including their upcards, but you can't tell which of someone else's upcards might be wild because you can't see their downcards.

When you play low hole wild, it's common but not universal to also play with the option to buy the river up, so that as Natskule said you can avoid the risk that getting dealt a trey on the river will ruin your three fours that used to be wild. But it costs you to buy that insurance, usually an amount equal to one river bet (i.e. a Big Bet in fixed limit) that's paid directly to the pot and is not matched by other players during the betting.

(Edit: Woops, I called it wrong above; I left out "low hole wild for high". Wild cards usually don't count for low when playing high-low split, but it's best to make it explicit when you call the game.)

Throw all these options together and you get a number of interesting tactical decisions during the hand, including opportunities for reading and bluffing with people's choice of which cards to roll.

Last edited:
just before the pandemic, i had introduced my league hosts to SCROTUM. one of them liked it so much he decided to make game 2 on his hosting night a NL SCROTUM tournament. i honestly can't say i recommend this idea.

That's it!

FWIW, "Roll your own" usually means deal the first three hole cards down and choose which one will be up. "Roll your own all day long" means every street is dealt down, and you choose which of your current face-down cards to turn up and be that street's upcard (as you described). Some people don't make that distinction, though.

Also (for Zombie), "low hole wild" means each person's lowest face-down card is wild, as are all matching cards, for them only. So everyone starts with a guaranteed wild card (because everyone has a lowest hole card) and might have more if they have additional cards matching that rank whether face-up or face-down (so suits don't matter when determining lowest card - if you have three fours with at least one of them down and no deuces or treys down, then all your fours are wild, as would be the last four if you get dealt it on later streets). So everyone has at least one wild card, but might have more, including their upcards, but you can't tell which of someone else's upcards might be wild because you can't see their downcards.

When you play low hole wild, it's common but not universal to also play with the option to buy the river up, so that as Natskule said you can avoid the risk that getting dealt a trey on the river will ruin your three fours that used to be wild. But it costs you to buy that insurance, usually an amount equal to one river bet (i.e. a Big Bet in fixed limit) that's paid directly to the pot and is not matched by other players during the betting.

(Edit: Woops, I called it wrong above; I left out "low hole wild for high". Wild cards usually don't count for low when playing high-low split, but it's best to make it explicit when you call the game.)

Throw all these options together and you get a number of interesting tactical decisions during the hand, including opportunities for reading and bluffing with people's choice of which cards to roll.
I now know what they call you "Crazy", Eddie.

2 players --> 2 tables of 6 players for a Draw tournament.

But to make things funnier :
- add a joker
- change from NL Hi Draw to NL Ace-to-Five Lowball every orbit

... every hand, so as to maximize the hilarity when someone forgets which game you're playing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom