Skyfall Cash Set (1 Viewer)

digirati

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm done picking colors/mold/spots for my first cash set and would welcome your feedback. Skyfall Poker Room comes from the fact I like James Bond. I'm shooting for a mid-century modern vibe with the design. I'm still working on the inlay, so the test inlay shows $25, but the actual denominations will be as follows:

.25 - Canary Yellow
$1 - Light Blue
$5 - Red
$25 - Light Green
$100 - Black

I appreciate any thoughts and comments. Thanks!

Cash Set Final 3V12.png

In my opinion, I'd invert the inlay colors so the background is black and the lettering is white. I'm definitely partial to black inlays though. At the very least, maybe an off-white inlay to match the color of your edge spots, I think that would tie the whole design together.

Also btw I just got a set of CPC's color sample pack and random chip pack if you'd like to check out the colors before placing your order.

Colors are great! I'm a fan of repeating edge spots so I really like it. I would be interested to see how it would look with the inlay colors revised. Dark base and white lettering.

In my opinion, I'd invert the inlay colors so the background is black and the lettering is white. I'm definitely partial to black inlays though. At the very least, maybe an off-white inlay to match the color of your edge spots, I think that would tie the whole design together.

Also btw I just got a set of CPC's color sample pack and random chip pack if you'd like to check out the colors before placing your order.
OK, I'm going to give that a try. Thank you!

Colors are great! I'm a fan of repeating edge spots so I really like it. I would be interested to see how it would look with the inlay colors revised. Dark base and white lettering.
Giving that a shot. Will post image later this evening.

I think it's gonna look great! I feel like it's gonna make those stars/fireworks really POP
In the works...(just waiting for my designer since I can't do squat in Photoshop). :p

Could make the stars the same color as the edge spots. Wouldn't even have to be an exact match.
I had made a note about that possibility and forgot to try it. I'll definitely try that before finalizing my order. Thank you!

Ah, I appreciate that. I actually ordered the full CPC color sample set before I even started. That was a big recommendation by several on PCF so I knew that was a must. Excellent advice to everyone considering a custom set.

Love the set, love the colors, and as a fellow James Bond fan I love the theme, but also mad at myself for not thinking of a Skyfall theme myself!

Any reason the $5 doesn't follow the same spot theme as .25 - $25, with a dark red spot instead of Grey?

I'll throw in a shameless plug of my own 007 set, the SPECTRE villain set
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/idea-007-villain-companies-set.87195/
1000004536.jpg
1000004529.jpg

I'm done picking colors/mold/spots for my first cash set and would welcome your feedback. Skyfall Poker Room comes from the fact I like James Bond. I'm shooting for a mid-century modern vibe with the design. I'm still working on the inlay, so the test inlay shows $25, but the actual denominations will be as follows:

.25 - Canary Yellow
$1 - Light Blue
$5 - Red
$25 - Light Green
$100 - Black

I appreciate any thoughts and comments. Thanks!

View attachment 1246405

I notice you have a black chip with the same or near same edge pattern in your tournament set....perhaps others I just noticed the black. This. Could be a problem avoided now and corrected. I am assuming you want the tourney/cash chips to be different.

$25 s/b $20. Then that frees up the 25 for eventual tournament set.
You're being prudent and financially astute. But I plan on having a separate tournament set and just lighting my cash on fire. LOL :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I notice you have a black chip with the same or near same edge pattern in your tournament set....perhaps others I just noticed the black. This. Could be a problem avoided now and corrected. I am assuming you want the tourney/cash chips to be different.
Yes, I decided to go with an even different spot pattern for the tournament, so now they won't be as similar. I'm still deciding if I want to change the tournament set even more.

Love the set, love the colors, and as a fellow James Bond fan I love the theme, but also mad at myself for not thinking of a Skyfall theme myself!
Don't be mad, your set is awesome. Skyfall has been my Wi-Fi network name for years, so it just fit to use it for my poker room name as well.

Any reason the $5 doesn't follow the same spot theme as .25 - $25, with a dark red spot instead of Grey?
I thought the grey looked nicer...but here it is in red. What do you think?
Red 5.png

I'll throw in a shameless plug of my own 007 set, the SPECTRE villain set
Plug away my friend! I actually saw your set a few days ago and loved it. You put a great amount of work into that set and it's spectacular. What a clever idea of using the names of the villain shell companies! I'm thinking about using elements of vintage posters for the back sides of my bounty chips.

Don't be mad, your set is awesome. Skyfall has been my Wi-Fi network name for years, so it just fit to use it for my poker room name as well.

I thought the grey looked nicer...but here it is in red. What do you think?
View attachment 1246547

Plug away my friend! I actually saw your set a few days ago and loved it. You put a great amount of work into that set and it's spectacular. What a clever idea of using the names of the villain shell companies! I'm thinking about using elements of vintage posters for the back sides of my bounty chips.

I think your instinct was right, and mine was wrong original looks better.

The Deer theme was pretty strong in the opening credits, maybe find a way to incorporate that with something. Maybe cut cards?
1000004600.jpg

I would be interested to see how it would look with the inlay colors revised. Dark base and white lettering.

I think it's gonna look great! I feel like it's gonna make those stars/fireworks really POP
OK, a few of you suggested trying a black inlay, so here it is. Both sets are shown below. Do you like the black inlay or the white inlay better, and which set looks more mid-century modern?
Cash Set Final 3V12 - Black.png

Cash Set v2 White Inlay.png

Attachments

• Cash Set Final 3V12.png
    Cash Set Final 3V12.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 27
Dang the black inlay definitely looks great. Really curious to see how it would look with an off-white (same shade as the edge spots) and black lettering. I have a feeling it’s gonna look the best.

Dang the black inlay definitely looks great. Really curious to see how it would look with an off-white (same shade as the edge spots) and black lettering. I have a feeling it’s gonna look the best.
I'm having a hard time deciding between white vs bright white spots. I have the CPC color chip samples, and wasn't sure if bright white was tooo bright, but I do think the standard white can look a little beige in tone. Here's the set with the bright white spots. What do you think?
Cash Set v2 Bright White Spots.png

I'm having a hard time deciding between white vs bright white spots. I have the CPC color chip samples, and wasn't sure if bright white was tooo bright, but I do think the standard white can look a little beige in tone. Here's the set with the bright white spots. What do you think?
View attachment 1246621

Bright White is worth the premium over White, IMHO.

View attachment 1246621
I much prefer the beige tone

Love your design. I personally prefer edge spot progression within a set. Or at least different spots for each denom. Same pattern spots across the whole set looks like "stock" chips. But I do understand that once you open that can of worms, it may complicate things quite a bit.
Good Luck with your project.

OK, so here's the latest version. I switched to bright white spots because the regular white looked too beige and didn't pop enough. Inlay is also a little more to scale. I decided on a white inlay primarily because I'm trying to keep the look retro and back in the 1950's I believe most inlays had a white background. As a reminder (Yellow .25, Blue $1, Red $5, Green $25, Black $100 ).

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate everyone's excellent feedback.

Skyfall Cash Set FINAL.png

I like 'em.

Could always go white inlay on one side and dark inlay on the other side. I did that with a set, really like how it came out.

The white inlay looks better, keeping the insert pattern the same reminds me of dice chips.

I wouldn’t have the same insert color (white) on every chip.

Have you read through the new members post in my signature?

Inserts have purpose and while you may not be color blind other people are. The purpose of the inserts is to let you see how many chips are in a stack from across a table, so if I toss out $36.75 and your uncle is color blind there is no way for him to differentiate the denoms if he is color blind, that’s why we say he is a monkeys uncle. ;)

Also these are going to be pricey so regardless of logic or what anyone else says your emotional appeal is of the highest priority. While I maybe from your future and can tell you there will be regrets (minor) and not paying extra right now will haunt you, cheaper to get what you dream of now and not have to try to sell off a set at a small loss and buy twice. I’d also suggest CPC not be your first custom or semi custom set.

Enjoy your journey

Colours blind input.
As all inserts are the same (tournament set?) I have to concentrate REAL hard to work out the red vs black. Though denoms will help.
Love the inlay, nice and clean. Prefer white over black, perhaps off white to go with retro theme?

My only suggestion would be to go slightly off-white for the background of your design. The set design I threw together a while back looked too modern with the stark white background so I went a shade or two off and added some texture to the overall design and was quite happy with the results.

At the risk of sounding like an asshole but coming from a place of fellow JB fandom, there's nothing in this inlay that is reminiscent of the movie Skyfall or the Scottish manor Skyfall other than the name. The graphic elements remind me more of The Big Lebowski than anything Bondish. Why not try some production design elements such as the manor house, the stags, etc.?

Have you read through the new members post in my signature?
Yep, got it bookmarked. Very helpful.

Inserts have purpose and while you may not be color blind other people are.
Color blindness isn't the main purpose of spots, but I ran my setup through a color blind checker and everything looked great except for the <0.0001% of the population with Achromatopsia. I think I'm good.

Also these are going to be pricey so regardless of logic or what anyone else says your emotional appeal is of the highest priority.
Definitely prepared to just light my cash on fire. :p

Colours blind input.
As all inserts are the same (tournament set?) I have to concentrate REAL hard to work out the red vs black. Though denoms will help.
Love the inlay, nice and clean. Prefer white over black, perhaps off white to go with retro theme?
Thank you for your feedback! I see how the red/black could be with red-blind/protanopia. Below is an image without corrective lenses. Do you think most people who play poker would be wearing corrective lenses?

red-blind-protanopia.png

At the risk of sounding like an asshole but coming from a place of fellow JB fandom, there's nothing in this inlay that is reminiscent of the movie Skyfall or the Scottish manor Skyfall other than the name. The graphic elements remind me more of The Big Lebowski than anything Bondish. Why not try some production design elements such as the manor house, the stags, etc.?
Skyfall is just the name I like; the set isn't supposed to be a James Bond theme. I wanted an old Las Vegas, mid-century modern vibe (thus the font and colors). I appreciate the feedback, and you're definitely NOT an asshole. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom