Tourney Should Mathematical Expressions be Binding as Bets? (1 Viewer)

In a tournament at a well-run establishment, at he table behind me, a guy said "I'm gonna put you all in." Opponent snap called anf d tabled the winning hand. I'm not sure what exactly the weasel said to get out of it. . But the floor's ruling was loud and clear - I'm gonna put you all in is meaningless, it's not a bet, but he got an orbit penalty for inducing somebody to act out of turn.

The more general lesson here is to not snap anything. Let the dealer announce or clarify the action, then make the call. If the dealer had announced all-in, and then the player paused for a beat then made the call, it probably would have gone the other way

it’s an angle.
Otherwise the better could just say he’s all in, but instead they use their words to induce fear in a non conforming attempt to bet.
It definitely could be an angle, but I also think it could be bad etiquette taught by movies/TV shows.

Last edited:
It definitely could be an angle, but I also think it could be bad etiquette taught by movies/TV shows.
giphy.gif

“I put you all in” is meant to intimidate, it’s not a bet, it’s an angle.
I think that's going a bit too far, IMO. I've been in loads of situations where this is said as a bet, which then was accepted by the "offender" when called. I have yet to witness someone taking back the bet when called (i.e., an angle).

Don't get me wrong, it most certainly can be an angle, but it can also be that the bettor doesn't know any better.

This happened in a tournament I was dealing last night. Postflop, player A silently bets 3500, player B calls, then player C says "let's double that" but does not immediately put out any chips. What's your thoughts on this? I'll tell you what actually happened after some comments.

I think this is a great thread! It's a very interesting topic!

However...
Thank you very much for the replies. Here's what actually happened. After C said "let's double that", I announced 7000 and C put in 7000. Action proceeded as normal and no one objected. The floor did not say anything about it. Several hours later, I realized I mishandled the situation and it could have been much worse. I should have asked what C's action was. "Let's double it" and similar phrases are non standard and should not be allowed.
... this was a bit anticlimactic. I was expecting tantrums, lost fortunes, flipped tables or at the very least a knife fight. At least make something up!! :sneaky:

Edit: Removed the comment on "put you all in" as it has it's own thread now

Last edited:
I read both of these, and my NEW action whenever I am faced with one of these situations is to pause, don't make any sudden actions and ask for clarity.

Example: Friday night tourney, I bet 2500 (I said 25 when I bet as the blinds were 500/1000), guy I bet into says "35" and puts in 7000 in chips. I paused, asked him what he really wanted to do, because what he said and what he did didnt match up. He wanted to make it 35,000 (he had a big hand) and got confused. I let him correct his action, as I knew this player was not trying to angle shoot me. I told him he could do whatever he wanted to do in the first place. He actually thought I was trying to angle shoot him. He ended up min raising my bet and I folded.

How sad that he thought I was trying to angle shoot him for doing the polite thing?

Anyways from now on I will be the pause and ask for clarity guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom