Sensible to re-felt this? (have mercy) (1 Viewer)

OH_OKAY_YEAH

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Okay, I know this is probably an absurd post, but two questions - first, has anyone tried one of these? I understand these are not high quality, but just how bad are they?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5DKL2JF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JW9PFEIMSLSQ&psc=1

Second, has anyone tried messing around with these? Re-felting them with speedcloth? Is that doable (however absurd)? Or custom mat on top?

My needs are as follows:
1) Easily storable - I have limited storage space, so the tri-fold would be quite nice to stuff into a closet.
2) Portable - The tri-fold would be ultra portable, I'd think - certainly more than a non-folding table, and a bit easier than something like a Barrington table (should fit into a larger sedan ideally).
3) Table topper - Not a lot of room at my place (or the other guys') to setup a full table and chairs. Table topper sitting on an existing table is best.
4) Affordable - Just cannot afford / justify anything of great cost right now.

Our group plays very casually - once every 6-8 weeks. I'm just trying to elevate our game a touch. The portability is a must, as we rotate locations (we have young kids, so we share the challenge of hosting with little ones).

I saw the Barrington table thread, and I do like the idea of re-felting one of those, if not now perhaps eventually. However, how well can they work sitting on top of a table like a table-topper? Or are they really best as a standalone table? It seems they would not work too well as a topper, so I haven't considered that route strongly.

As the tri-fold is already a topper, and cheap, I'm curious about re-felting it or throwing a custom mat on top of it (I know this is borderline painting a turd gold). I do NOT have high expectations that it will last for years and years, but I'm looking for something that can last a little while on a dime for now.

Thanks!

I have no first hand experience with the topper you linked. But I'm guessing it would be very difficult pulling it apart to refelt. It's likely just glued and stapled together with very cheap materials. You might end up just destroying it if you try to disassemble it.

One suggestion is to get a custom mat. See below link.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/made-to-order-custom-table-toppers.96993/

You can get one to fitted to the table topper you linked. But you're probably better off just getting one to fit your dining table or whatever table you plan on using.

Okay, I know this is probably an absurd post, but two questions - first, has anyone tried one of these? I understand these are not high quality, but just how bad are they?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5DKL2JF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JW9PFEIMSLSQ&psc=1

Second, has anyone tried messing around with these? Re-felting them with speedcloth? Is that doable (however absurd)? Or custom mat on top?

My needs are as follows:
1) Easily storable - I have limited storage space, so the tri-fold would be quite nice to stuff into a closet.
2) Portable - The tri-fold would be ultra portable, I'd think - certainly more than a non-folding table, and a bit easier than something like a Barrington table (should fit into a larger sedan ideally).
3) Table topper - Not a lot of room at my place (or the other guys') to setup a full table and chairs. Table topper sitting on an existing table is best.
4) Affordable - Just cannot afford / justify anything of great cost right now.

Our group plays very casually - once every 6-8 weeks. I'm just trying to elevate our game a touch. The portability is a must, as we rotate locations (we have young kids, so we share the challenge of hosting with little ones).

I saw the Barrington table thread, and I do like the idea of re-felting one of those, if not now perhaps eventually. However, how well can they work sitting on top of a table like a table-topper? Or are they really best as a standalone table? It seems they would not work too well as a topper, so I haven't considered that route strongly.

As the tri-fold is already a topper, and cheap, I'm curious about re-felting it or throwing a custom mat on top of it (I know this is borderline painting a turd gold). I do NOT have high expectations that it will last for years and years, but I'm looking for something that can last a little while on a dime for now.

Thanks!
For that price, you can get a completely custom table topper. Personally that would beat a very low quality topper with shallow cupholders and bad felt. This looks like a cheap solution but like @TheDuke mentions you're gonna do some damage unstapling the crap and will end up costing you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'd advise against this. If you're looking for very casual once every 2 months, a sweet custom rollup topper would go along way. Hit up @rjdev7 's thread to get some ideas. You get something that looks and feels fantastic (that lacks features like that "rail" or cupholders) instead of a subpar product you may break carrying from house to house.

I do have experience with the topper you posted and it is terrible. Follow the link in the previous post and get yourself a nice mat

Thanks all!

I do like the custom mat option. If it were at my house consistently, I'd get one made to size for my table and that'd be sufficient.

However, it wouldn't fit the same on the other players' tables as we rotate locations, which is why I was considering the tri-fold topper. Either there would be overhang or lack of coverage.

As for the Barrington tables, anyone know if they work well on top of another table? Or do they really need to stand alone?

Can’t have your cake and eat it too unfortunately. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with the triple fold. Unless you would do that and a custom rollup topper to fit it. That may be a good option. Get both!!

a sheet of 3/4" ply, some foam, speed cloth and YAT vinyl and you can build a nice topper for ~$150, probably about the same amount of work as trying to reflect that one.

A friend had a very similar folding table that he got for like $20 on marketplace.

He ended up refelting and reupholstering the leather and the results were quite good. However, I probably wouldn't go this route on a new table. Just given the costs and effort required. That being said, it's now a great low cost table that looks classy as well.

However, it wouldn't fit the same on the other players' tables as we rotate locations, which is why I was considering the tri-fold topper. Either there would be overhang or lack of coverage
This style of poker mat is prolific on Amazon. You can literally get one for each person rotating as host to best fit their table and spend less than the $150 your trifold topper cost. If you are willing to spend that much plus the additional cost of the refelting the trifold, why not just buy half a dozen mats and save some time and cash?

This style of poker mat is prolific on Amazon. You can literally get one for each person rotating as host to best fit their table and spend less than the $150 your trifold topper cost. If you are willing to spend that much plus the additional cost of the refelting the trifold, why not just buy half a dozen mats and save some time and cash?
That's a good suggestion and a great point. But for me, I'd rather play on a regular dining room table than use a mat that doesn't properly cover the table - not to mention the awful designs of those Amazon mats. We have 10 players at one table at times, and I find it awkward if the mat doesn't cover the table space; e.g. oval mat on rectangular table, or a rectangular mat but lacking the coverage. With a full table, some people are going to be setting chips off the mat or have to awkwardly extend to the mat. If I could custom-fit mats for each table, that'd be great, but it's cost-prohibitive of course.

Can’t have your cake and eat it too unfortunately. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with the triple fold. Unless you would do that and a custom rollup topper to fit it. That may be a good option. Get both!!
May do this...but it feels dirty. Might be one of the better options available to me however.

a sheet of 3/4" ply, some foam, speed cloth and YAT vinyl and you can build a nice topper for ~$150, probably about the same amount of work as trying to reflect that one.
I've thought about it. Though I'm very bad with DIY, and don't have the proper tools for precision cutting / sanding. I'd want to make it a fold-up too, which would add to the challenge for me.

A friend had a very similar folding table that he got for like $20 on marketplace.

He ended up refelting and reupholstering the leather and the results were quite good. However, I probably wouldn't go this route on a new table. Just given the costs and effort required. That being said, it's now a great low cost table that looks classy as well.
May keep my eye out for something cheap to do a practice DIY project like that.

I really appreciate the ideas and feedback! I know I'm being weirdly picky with a tight budget. I wanted to see if there was a good option I wasn't aware of that could adequately server our needs. I'll keep mulling the options - may just continue to play on the regular dining room tables though!

I have one of these. The hinges broke pretty quick. So I screwed and glued this to a peice of ply wood. The "cupholders" eventually fell out and now I barely use it. I bought a couple of mats and never looked back. This folding table topper isn't worth the trouble. Good luck with your search.

If you are worried about trying to adapt something to fit all the different sizes tables then why not go with a pool table conversion top?

I have one of these that I picked up for about 20 bucks from FB marketplace and it works out well for an extra table that is easy to break down. I can throw it on a folding table and it is easy to set up and tear down quickly. I don't think it would be worth it to put a new felt on these. I would rather just throw a topper on one. For full price I wouldn't say it is worth it. I would spend the extra cash to find a used Barrington on marketplace.

That's a good suggestion and a great point. But for me, I'd rather play on a regular dining room table than use a mat that doesn't properly cover the table - not to mention the awful designs of those Amazon mats. We have 10 players at one table at times, and I find it awkward if the mat doesn't cover the table space; e.g. oval mat on rectangular table, or a rectangular mat but lacking the coverage. With a full table, some people are going to be setting chips off the mat or have to awkwardly extend to the mat. If I could custom-fit mats for each table, that'd be great, but it's cost-prohibitive of course.

May do this...but it feels dirty. Might be one of the better options available to me however.

I've thought about it. Though I'm very bad with DIY, and don't have the proper tools for precision cutting / sanding. I'd want to make it a fold-up too, which would add to the challenge for me.

May keep my eye out for something cheap to do a practice DIY project like that.

I really appreciate the ideas and feedback! I know I'm being weirdly picky with a tight budget. I wanted to see if there was a good option I wasn't aware of that could adequately server our needs. I'll keep mulling the options - may just continue to play on the regular dining room tables though!
If I understand correctly, you are looking for a) something portable that b) folds into a smallish footprint and c) will fit a variety of different size tables (mostly dining). Also, low-ish cost.

My advice is to build a low-weight topper base of 1/4" hardboard with a tri-fold construction design (overall size to fit the largest table you regularly play on), and then order a custom size neoprene topper that covers it exactly (and rolls up when not in use).

The topper base construction is quite simple (Gorilla tape) and your Home Depot store can make the needed wood cuts for you (it will consist of three main pieces plus two strips 1/2" and 1" wide for the 'hinges').

If concerned about damaging fine dining table surfaces, you can either pad it underneath with headliner foam or just have the host throw down a blanket on their table.

For those locations that have no appropriate-size dining table, you can pick up a 5' or 6' long x 30" or 36" wide folding white plastic utility table that can be utilized instead (also portable with relatively small storage requirements).

I have a folding table I bought years ago (18+yrs) from Straitpokersupplies that has not been refelted or anything. The material is a bit furry so was thinking about ordering a topper eventually.

The tables that strait pole has have 1 nylon strap below where many amazon/Walmart folders have metal cables to support the table from sagging. The ones with the nylon are massively better. I have put a lot of chips on my folding table and trust it to be reliable for a max 8 player game (seating). I will probably get a second eventually in another colour than green for convenience, solid tables are a hastle to store and move (especially by 1 person). A good topper should make the folder into a great piece of kit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom