Selling / Determining Value of Comics (1 Viewer)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping some of you collectors may have some advice.

I have a bunch of old comics (~400) that I collected when I was a kid (late 80s, early 90s). I stored them in comic boxes in baggies with backing boards, so they all see to be in good condition.

My 10 year old son is now interested in them, and I wanted to figure out which may be worth more than a couple bucks (i know there are a few good ones in there, like the 1st appearance of Deadpool, etc.) so I can set those aside or sell them.

What is the best way to determine actual potential value of a comic?

For ones that have potential higher values, is it worth having them graded? Where is a good place to sell? Since Im in Canada Im sure my options are limited.

I have spoken to a few local collector shops, but to be honest I dont really trust them. I am the equivalent of someone with poker chips who has no idea of what they have.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Hoping some of you collectors may have some advice.

I have a bunch of old comics (~400) that I collected when I was a kid (late 80s, early 90s). I stored them in comic boxes in baggies with backing boards, so they all see to be in good condition.

My 10 year old son is now interested in them, and I wanted to figure out which may be worth more than a couple bucks (i know there are a few good ones in there, like the 1st appearance of Deadpool, etc.) so I can set those aside or sell them.

What is the best way to determine actual potential value of a comic?

For ones that have potential higher values, is it worth having them graded? Where is a good place to sell? Since Im in Canada Im sure my options are limited.

I have spoken to a few local collector shops, but to be honest I dont really trust them. I am the equivalent of someone with poker chips who has no idea of what they have.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

So, in the comics world, everything about price for high value issues is dependent on grading, and your best pricing bet is to get CGC slabbed and graded. There are other grading authorities, but none that hold the gravitas of CGC when it comes to grading, especially for value.

Take for example, your one mentioned issue. You said you have an issue with the first appearance of Deadpool, which would be New Mutants #98 from 1991, which also has the first appearance of Domino, drawn by Rob Liefeld.

A CGC 9.8 to 9.9 with white pages would easily fetch around $3,000+ for that issue, but even a 9.3 to 9.4 with off-white to white pages would drop down to about $600. One of the reasons there’s such a difference even with such a small difference in grade is because that particular issue had over 800,000 copies made. So, extremely mint copies tend to increase in price heavily.

I would start with an excel spread sheet of all your issues. Include columns for title, issue, date, publisher and one for grade. Including another column for notes on the grade. Use this WikiHow guide to do your first pass at self-grading. Be thorough.

Once you’re done with each book, include a final column for approx price for each book by looking it up in an online price guide like this one.

By the end, you should have a fair estimate on what everything is worth, and which ones you should send out to slab and grade professionally, if you intend to sell them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So, in the comics world, everything about price for high value issues is dependent on grading, and your best pricing bet is to get CGC slabbed and graded. There are other grading authorities, but none that hold the gravitas of CGC when it comes to grading, especially for value.

Take for example, your one mentioned issue. You said you have an issue with the first appearance of Deadpool, which would be New Mutants #98 from 1991, which also has the first appearance of Domino, drawn by Rob Liefeld.

A CGC 9.8 to 9.9 with white pages would easily fetch around $3,000+ for that issue, but even a 9.3 to 9.4 with off-white to white pages would drop down to about $600. One of the reasons there’s such a difference even with such a small difference in grade is because that particular issue had over 800,000 copies made. So, extremely mint copies tend to increase in price heavily.

I would start with an excel spread sheet of all your issues. Include columns for title, issue, date, publisher and one for grade. Including another column for notes on the grade. Use this WikiHow guide to do your first pass at self-grading. Be thorough.

Once you’re done with each book, include a final column for approx price for each book by looking it up in an online price guide like this one.

By the end, you should have a fair estimate on what everything is worth, and which ones you should send out to slab and grade professionally, if you intend to sell them.

Good luck!
Thank you for the thorough break down.

Sound slike I was in the right path (mostly). I had just gotten him started on recording the details for each comic, I was only doing comic title and number but I will have him expand it to include the info you outlined.

Thanks,
Grant

Very cool. I have about 100-200 marvel comics but I collected them in the mid 90s when they were saturated and I don’t think I have any minimal limited editions runs.

I wish i kept my sparse childhood collection from the 65-70's and my 85-90 revisit (tons of marvel mutant and related offshoot series).
I gave whatever I had left to a neighbor that does a garage sale every year about 15 years ago. :(

I had this series being delivered to me via subscription in the 70's and lots of them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamandi : was addicted

Recently (due to discovering reruns available to watch) I searched for this and found it (the Time Tunnel).
I had owned this one and remembered it vividly.
I had no idea it was V1#2 and do not remember whatever happened to it so I pulled the trigger. Last one left & $60, so why not?
ETA 10/6. More for my man cave :tup:
1664817817905.png

Did you log it in a program? What did you use?

Thanks
Grant
I used LeagueOfComicGeeks.com. It was free and had decent reviews. There's a pay tier I haven't tried yet that I think let's you join their community board. That's only $2 a month so I may try it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom