Scotch Help! (1 Viewer)

Polochris

Flush
Reaction score
Hello All!

So I am deciding on what scotch I will be drinking at my Wedding. I love both single malt and blended scotches. Speyside and Islay are my favorite regions, but open to anything. I’m not a huge fan of spicy scotch. I love smooth, creamy, fruity, and Smokey notes.

Right now I am between Glenlivet 18 or 21
Macallan 18 or any year, and Lagavulin 16 year.

Price isn’t a big issue as it’s a special night, but still don’t want to spend over a grand on a bottle!

Thanks for your help guys!

That’s a pretty awesome and generous selection for an open bar at a wedding. If you’d like to narrow down to one or two choices, I’d recommend that Oban 14 be one of them. It is a nicely balanced whisky, with a nice soft smoke/peaty note, but balanced with a more creamy speyside-ish flavor. My favorite all-around premium whisky.

Lagavulin is a good second choice if you want a peaty, iodine islay. Also a favorite.

I’d also look at Longrow, a slightly smokier/peatier version of Springbank. And if money is no object, Highland Park 18 is a nice dram as well.

Are you planning on buying a bunch or just a bottle or 2 for yourself and a few fellow Scotch drinkers?

If it’s for the whole wedding I would go with something good, but not so expensive as most wont notice the difference or even drink it. Something like Johny Walker Black.

If it for just you specifically to have when you want a drink then get whatever one is your favorite. All you listed are very good and you shouldn’t be disappointed with any of them.

Yes if it is for the bar just go with a 12 yr Glenlivet. I consider that my "mow the lawn" scotch. For you go with a great scotch on such a special night. Congrats!

If you’re buying a few bottles for everyone to enjoy, Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Solera. If you’re buying one bottle for yourself to enjoy, Macallan Rare Cask.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried Highland Park? If not, it's one of the best scotches out there IMO and you can get a decent bottle for the 12, better with the 18, and starting to borderline on obscene with the 21/25/30 year collection. Each is better than the previous.

For reference my favorite bottles besides Highland Park are by Lagavulin and Talisker.

Have you ever tried Highland Park? If not, it's one of the best scotches out there IMO and you can get a decent bottle for the 12, better with the 18, and starting to borderline on obscene with the 21/25/30 year collection. Each is better than the previous.

For reference my favorite bottles besides Highland Park are by Lagavulin and Talisker.

I haven’t, but I’ve heard good things. I need to try it!

C77DE9C0-E324-429B-B0F8-934C48C5B50E.png

Greek yogurt as a note?! Wow. That does sound good!

View attachment 136710

Greek yogurt as a note?! Wow. That does sound good!

I probably wouldn't be able to buy it on my budget, but I get to photograph some of their VIP tasting events in Denver from time to time, and they'll pass me a spare bottle as a tip. It's just insanely smooth and very hard to top. And honestly, I hate that I've been exposed to it, because it has made me a total scotch snob. :p

And just FYI, the distillers say it is pronounced Glen-MORE-an-gie, not Glen-more-AN-gie!

But I must also agree with @Payback... while not "cheap" by any means, Highland Park is just delicious for the middle/upper-middle price range scotches.

I had a friend bring some scotch to our last gaming session at my place. I last had a taste of scotch over a decade ago and it was not bad, but I did not prefer it. I've been a bourbon drinker my whole adult life, however. At any rate, I tried scotch again, and it was alright. Very smooth. It came in a blue box, had a 12 on it, but I did not pay attention to the name. The whole time I sipped on it I thought somebody took some peat moss, burned it a little, and mixed the aroma into a perfectly good whiskey. So I am not a good answerer for your question. I thought with my Scottish ancestry and Scottish last name, I'd like it more.

Good luck with the wedding, @Polochris. As long as people keep bringing scotch to the places I am, I'll keep trying it. I don't turn down good alcohol. Even though it is about scotch, this thread is doing an excellent job of making me thirsty.

I second the Highland Park 18. Also like Springbank 10 for a good bit less.

Or go crazy and go with an American Whiskey made in scotch style which I really like ... Westland.

For Islay whiskeys Talisker is always a winner or for something a bit more more special, a Caol Ila (peated or unpeated) 12/18 year!

It seems you're looking for a special bottle huh? When you mentioned you want it to be below $1K, you are already okay with paying more than the regular bottle of Single Malt.

Here's my thoughts:

On the Cherry Bomb front, an old Macallan is always a good choice. The Macallans tend to be a bit overpriced because of their popularity but they are still a great option. I like the Macallan 18 but at $280 a bottle, it might be the most overpriced Macallan around... It is still good but I'd try either an older official bottle or even an independent bottle, which can be, granted, a bit hit and miss. On the same type of scotch, you can go with Glenfarclas 25 for example, or Glendronach 21. For less than $100, you can't go wrong with Aberlour A'bunah.

On the Peat front, a special bottle would be an old Ardbeg. Not easy to find and kinda pricey but some are absolutely lovely... You can try and find a bottle of Ardbeg Dark Cove (the Committee bottling, not the regular one)... Stunning dram... An old Laphroig is an option as well but more hit and miss imo... If you're going Lagavulin, better to get the 12yo, almost double the price of the 16 but it is cask strength and the flagship of the distillery. I know, it might be the only distillery in which the younger whiskey is more premium than the older version. Another option is one of those Octomore bottles. Honestly, I've never tried them but hear great things from friends. They are around $250 I think.

Now, if you don't mind spending less, you should consider a bottle of Ardbeg Ugieadail... Fantastic for about $65...

On the Balvenie spectrum, you can go Balvenie Turn 1509 batch 3 or maybe 4... It's about $400 but will blow your socks off if you like Balvenie... Can't remember the age but I think it's a 25yo... Could be wrong...

Springbanks are great, so are the Kilchomans... Heck, so many good choices man!!! LOL!!!!

Anyways, congrats on your wedding man!!! And i'm with you, I would get a special bottle as well, good move!

It seems you're looking for a special bottle huh? When you mentioned you want it to be below $1K, you are already okay with paying more than the regular bottle of Single Malt.

Here's my thoughts:

On the Cherry Bomb front, an old Macallan is always a good choice. The Macallans tend to be a bit overpriced because of their popularity but they are still a great option. I like the Macallan 18 but at $280 a bottle, it might be the most overpriced Macallan around... It is still good but I'd try either an older official bottle or even an independent bottle, which can be, granted, a bit hit and miss. On the same type of scotch, you can go with Glenfarclas 25 for example, or Glendronach 21. For less than $100, you can't go wrong with Aberlour A'bunah.

On the Peat front, a special bottle would be an old Ardbeg. Not easy to find and kinda pricey but some are absolutely lovely... You can try and find a bottle of Ardbeg Dark Cove (the Committee bottling, not the regular one)... Stunning dram... An old Laphroig is an option as well but more hit and miss imo... If you're going Lagavulin, better to get the 12yo, almost double the price of the 16 but it is cask strength and the flagship of the distillery. I know, it might be the only distillery in which the younger whiskey is more premium than the older version. Another option is one of those Octomore bottles. Honestly, I've never tried them but hear great things from friends. They are around $250 I think.

Now, if you don't mind spending less, you should consider a bottle of Ardbeg Ugieadail... Fantastic for about $65...

On the Balvenie spectrum, you can go Balvenie Turn 1509 batch 3 or maybe 4... It's about $400 but will blow your socks off if you like Balvenie... Can't remember the age but I think it's a 25yo... Could be wrong...

Springbanks are great, so are the Kilchomans... Heck, so many good choices man!!! LOL!!!!

Anyways, congrats on your wedding man!!! And i'm with you, I would get a special bottle as well, good move!

WOW! You know your stuff man! Thank you for the awesome choices. I must try them all!! This is going to be a special bottle. Something I give to the bartender and secretly ask for lol. I know selfish, but this is OUR wedding:) So I think I deserve to be spoiled;)

I do find that interesting that Lagavulin does that. Younger is better? Hmmmm. Who am I to question Ron Swansons favorite scotch though lol.

I am going to try and get some samples of these for sure! Thanks again!

Anyone know where I can get some Scotch samples?

Thank everyone:)

WOW! You know your stuff man! Thank you for the awesome choices. I must try them all!! This is going to be a special bottle. Something I give to the bartender and secretly ask for lol. I know selfish, but this is OUR wedding:) So I think I deserve to be spoiled;)

I do find that interesting that Lagavulin does that. Younger is better? Hmmmm. Who am I to question Ron Swansons favorite scotch though lol.

I am going to try and get some samples of these for sure! Thanks again!

Anyone know where I can get some Scotch samples?

Thank everyone:)

You certainly deserve to be spoiled... One last time, LOL!!!! Just kidding man...

IMO, the below link is the best place to buy samples... HUGE selection and they sell by dram... Shipping is a bit steep but worthwhile of you wanna try different stuff...

https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/all/

Lagavulin 16 year has always been my go to.

Agreed! Its camp fire in a bottle:) Yum:). However for this day, I am wanting something a little more special.

If you like that scotch you should check out this clip;) Trust me its worth it! Perfect for the holidays!

If money is no object, how about the Glenlivet 70?

gordon-macphail-generations-glenlivet-70-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-speyside-scotland-10378985.jpg

They have a bottle in my poker pub (Whisky bar of the year a couple of times).

Only £900/dram. I like a double with cola (not Coke, I like my cola with a little bit of bite).

Otherwise, I'd second the old Highland Parks. The 18 yo was a favorite for a long time but is increasingly hard to come by (I think it has been commandeered to go into a high-end blend, so they're not bottling it anymore?).

If you like peat, the Lagavulin 16 is excellent. If you want to try something else peaty, check out the Ardbeg. I really enjoyed the Corryvreckan - it's like a peaty napalm bomb going off in your mouth.

I have no idea what is available in the US.

Where's @pltrgyst at? He usually has good whisky intel...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom