Scammers (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Hey PCF family, as I am finally allowed to PM I am getting ready to offer up for buying chips. Just wanted to see how you guys avoid being scammed and are there any users that are currently selling that are "suspect"? I just don't want to get screwed over and wouldn't mind some tips or life lessons from y'all. Thank you!

• Read negative feedback carefully. Sometimes it's just a disgruntled buyer (good seller). Sometimes it's the seller not trying to make things right (bad seller).
  • Research the seller. Search for their name in titles. Sometimes there's negative feedback in post form.
  • Don't buy things when people PM you directly. Always reply to a classifieds listing- that way there are more eyes on the transaction.
  • Check the seller's post history. If they haven't posted at all in the last few months, there's a slim chance that their account got hacked, proceed with caution.
A few things that will cause you to lose deals, but if you're being extra cautious you can try:
  • Use PayPal Goods and Services. (Some sellers won't accept PPGS. Don't pay PPGS unless seller agrees.)
  • Ask the seller to take a picture of chips arranged a certain unique way, to prove that they have the chips.

The PPGS point is kind of moot. Probably .01% of the sales that happen in the classifieds accept PPGS in my experience. Maybe it used to be more common?
It's a bit of a catch-22. I accept PPGS but I'd be hesitant for someone with no feedback, especially if it's a high value transaction, because buyer protection strongly favors the buyer even if the seller did everything right.

Hey PCF family, as I am finally allowed to PM I am getting ready to offer up for buying chips. Just wanted to see how you guys avoid being scammed and are there any users that are currently selling that are "suspect"? I just don't want to get screwed over and wouldn't mind some tips or life lessons from y'all. Thank you!
I’m noticing that this is the most common way of confirming. Do you personally use PPGS? Or are you utilizing Vemno with buyer protection?

In this hobby, there is no substitute for "patience". This is true when it comes to buying (learning/knowing reliable sellers, chips, and fair market value), selling, customization, and so on. Basically, take your time, learn the lay of the land and what things are, and you will eventually just know how to navigate things easily and in turn be able to avoid any potential scamming.

At the same time, if you're here to grab a quick set and bounce, just buy from a vendor.

Everything else really has been covered above.

I’m noticing that this is the most common way of confirming. Do you personally use PPGS? Or are you utilizing Vemno with buyer protection?
Most sale threads have the username and date. If you buy something not listed in the classifieds (via PM) always ask the seller for that info.

Maybe I have been lucky with the people I have bought or traded with, but I have never felt the need to use PayPal G&S on PCF.

Take your time, research and develop friendships/connections on PCF. If you develop enough friendships/connections on here, odds are pretty good that someone has dealt with a seller and can vouch for them.

You gu
In this hobby, there is no substitute for "patience". This is true when it comes to buying (learning/knowing reliable sellers, chips, and fair market value), selling, customization, and so on. Basically, take your time, learn the lay of the land and what things are, and you will eventually just know how to navigate things easily and in turn be able to avoid any potential scamming.

At the same time, if you're here to grab a quick set and bounce, just buy from a vendor.

Everything else really has been covered above.
y’all have been tremendous help, I appreciate it

Most sale threads have the username and date. If you buy something not listed in the classifieds (via PM) always ask the seller for that info.

Maybe I have been lucky with the people I have bought or traded with, but I have never felt the need to use PayPal G&S on PCF.

Take your time, research and develop friendships/connections on PCF. If you develop enough friendships/connections on here, odds are pretty good that someone has dealt with a seller and can vouch for them.
I appreciate that brother, thank you. Helping me ease my mind a little. This forum has been a lot to navigate and familiarizing myself w known and trusted users is difficult. I’m sure it’ll come with time.

I remember it was scary in the beginning sending big money to strangers. I have had almost exclusively great transactions, and lord knows there have been many. I’d say it’s virtually risk free to deal with the well known members with good feedback.

If you’re unsure about someone, just pick a few members that’s been around long and ask them.

The PPGS point is kind of moot. Probably .01% of the sales that happen in the classifieds accept PPGS in my experience. Maybe it used to be more common?
I don't know about that, I require PPGS and eat the fees because it makes shipping labels that much easier to generate and provides a buyer protection setup. Comes in handy when USPS screws up etc.

I don't know about that, I require PPGS and eat the fees because it makes shipping labels that much easier to generate and provides a buyer protection setup. Comes in handy when USPS screws up etc.
How does it help when USPS messes up? Just curious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom