Run it Once, Twice, or Three Times? (1 Viewer)

AtTheTable

Reaction score
Hi poker strategists,

So I just want to know what are you reasons behind running it Once, Twice, or Three Times.
I know a guy who only plays 1/2NLH and he always runs it once unless the pot is over $1,000
I like to run it twice always but I am finding myself chopping a lot of pots in the end.
Should I switch to running it three times?
I know a lot of you are probably going to say "Just run it ONCE" but I am not the luckiest when it comes to run outs honestly.

Would love to hear your thoughts

It's simply a variance reduction strategy. Running it multiple times does nothing to the equities.

I generally run it once unless I don't have enough to buy back in, or if the person I'm up against is liable to quit if they get felted. And against people that are very good for the game, I just let them decide what they want.

Some people like to run it 3x because they feel someone should "win" the hand. Mostly I play mixed games which are split pot games anyways or there is not enough cards left in the deck to run it out more than once so the issue is moot.

Once or three times, never twice! Ties are dumb; somebpdy’s got to win.
The reasons for running multiple times, as others have said, are to reduce variance in the short term. It the big cash game of life it has no effect. I don’t really have a preference; I’ll usually default to what the other guy wants to do. (But not twice.)

If your hand is great, running multiple times gives you the edge.

If your hand sucks, run it once and hope for a draw in your favor.

At my table? Run it once, I want blood and rebuys. Same thoughts as @Rhodeman77

I like running it twice, I hate getting stacked, and have always found it kind of awkward to stack a stranger. Especially in cash when they’ll rebuy and still be there. Don’t know what to say to them after they are stacked. Running it twice just easier.

Although, last session somebody kind of angled being accepting of running it twice, the whole table including me thought he did. But he was adamant, after the runout, “no I didn’t agree”. And he wanted it run twice the immediately prior hand so possibly some of that was the confusion, the dealer might have assumed he wanted twice again and didn’t get the confirmation for camera and he saw a freeroll spot. I dont wanna be freerolled like that again so probably gonna be a run it once guy soon.

The more times you run it, the more likely you are getting your equity of the pot. I would run it 10 times if it wouldn't get me stabbed in the eye.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the role of players’ holdings, or what street you get it in on, influencing their decisions about whether to run it 1, 2 or 3 times.

In the games I play in, the player who thinks he has the best hand when the money goes in seems more likely to want to run it once. (Say, the guy who flopped trips who is afraid of flush or straight or boat draws.)

The players with weaker holdings but with big draws tend to want to run it twice. (Say, you flopped middle pair with a nut flush draw plus an overcard to the board, or a double draw adding a gutshot straight draw.)

Running it three times seems to be rare and is avoided by both those with made hands and players hoping to improve with draws (the thinking being that the made hands are more at risk, while the draws that come in on one board lose outs on the other two).

Which street you’re on (all-in preflop, on the flop or turn) also cam influence what people want to do.

I’m not saying these are the correct ways to think about it necessarily, but those are the factors I often hear players talking about.

For me in private games I tend to just go along with what the other player wants, if they have a strong preference, in the interest of good feeling, and also so that I get similar indulgence if I ever need it.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the role of players’ holdings, or what street you get it in on, influencing their decisions about whether to run it 1, 2 or 3 times.

In the games I play in, the player who thinks he has the best hand when the money goes in seems more likely to want to run it once. (Say, the guy who flopped trips who is afraid of flush or straight or boat draws.)

The players with weaker holdings but with big draws tend to want to run it twice. (Say, you flopped middle pair with a nut flush draw plus an overcard to the board, or a double draw adding a gutshot straight draw.)

Running it three times seems to be rare and is avoided by both those with made hands and players hoping to improve with draws (the thinking being that the made hands are more at risk, while the draws that come in on one board lose outs on the other two).

Which street you’re on (all-in preflop, on the flop or turn) also cam influence what people want to do.

I’m not saying these are the correct ways to think about it necessarily, but those are the factors I often hear players talking about.

For me in private games I tend to just go along with what the other player wants, if they have a strong preference, in the interest of good feeling, and also so that I get similar indulgence if I ever need it.
The problem is that there's an unwritten rule (or a perception of an unwritten rule or some people think there's an unwritten rule) that you should either always be willing to run it multiple times or never. Kind of like chopping in a cash game when it folds around to the blinds. If you do it for one guy but then based on your hand you refuse to do it for the next guy, some people don't appreciate that.

Earlier in a session I'm more interested in running it once because if I lose big I can rebuy and keep playing. Towards the end of a session I'm more open to running it multiple times because I prefer to book a slight winning session than to end up with a big swing in either direction. If I'm stuck I always wanna run it one time, but don't mind much if the other player wants 2 or 3.

I’m always happy to run it twice, but have no issue with the “once only” folks.

Three times? GTFO (if you’re of the “someone needs to win” mindset, just run it once, every time)

I'll agree to 3 times if we do best of three wins the pot. I'm more a proponent of run it once, but, am also willing to do what the table wants to do.

I'll just quote from one of the other threads about this....

Run it once....... the whole point of playing in the first place. :tup:

If someone wants to run it twice I'll go along but they will have to run it twice ever time with me the rest of the night. No selective crap.

Run it 3 times..... wasting time. :tdown:

And running it multiple times in a split pot game is just BS. The whole point of running it multiple times is so everybody has a chance to not lose. pffft......

I’m always happy to run it twice, but have no issue with the “once only” folks.

Three times? GTFO (if you’re of the “someone needs to win” mindset, just run it once, every time)
My comment seems unnecessarily harsh to the 3X folks. It’s not that serious.

But if “someone has to win,” let’s just run it once instead of wasting everyone’s time.

I usually only run once for smaller / regular pot unless the opponent request to run it twice

For a big pot (500bb+), I will always prefer to run it twice to reduce variance

In my game if there are more than two players all-in, we don’t allow running it three times. The chops get too time-consuming.

But if “someone has to win,” let’s just run it once instead of wasting everyone’s time.
I don’t buy these “wasting everyone’s time comments.” I think it’s just an excuse people use when they don’t like something. You read the same comments about rabbit hunting, which takes two seconds. Running it a third time takes literally one second for the third river, and how much longer does it take to divide a pot three ways instead of two? Ten seconds? I’ve seen people waste more time on a slow roll.

I honestly don't really care about ev in that situation. Before you start quoting facts and figures please try to understand that I don't really care, in that instance. I'm ok (not really) with running it twice if it keeps someone happy/in the game. I'm thinking more about image than what I really think about their request, especially in a have with friends. But, if I'm all in the pot, and, they want to run it twice, I'll ask if we can run it 3 times, best two or of 3 takes it. I like my chances of taking the pot, and, several times the opponent says "just once" is fine.

Max pain, baby. I always prefer once.

I have no problem running it three times though, if the other person asks. Never twice, because there must be blood.

I don’t buy these “wasting everyone’s time comments.” I think it’s just an excuse people use when they don’t like something. You read the same comments about rabbit hunting, which takes two seconds. Running it a third time takes literally one second for the third river, and how much longer does it take to divide a pot three ways instead of two? Ten seconds? I’ve seen people waste more time on a slow roll.

If you have three people all-in with unequal stacks, sorting out winnings after running it three times can be pretty tedious unless somehow the biggest stack scoops.

Need to have a couple regs with good math skills and good sense, or it can get pretty tedious… and then there is always the one guy (wrongly) questioning the count.

But yeah, someone tanking five minutes can make for a bigger delay. Luckily I don’t find that happens much in my home games, and someone usually calls clock if it does.

If you have three people all-in with unequal stacks, sorting out winnings after running it three times can be pretty tedious unless somehow the biggest stack scoops.

Need to have a couple regs with good math skills and good sense, or it can get pretty tedious… and then there is always the one guy (wrongly) questioning the count.

But yeah, someone tanking five minutes can make for a bigger delay. Luckily I don’t find that happens much in my home games, and someone usually calls clock if it does.
Sure but you’re looking at the potential negatives. There are also potential positives. How often do we actually have a 3-way all in? Maybe once every 3 sessions at most? (I guess it matters what kinds of games you’re playing - mine is all holdem.)
And of these running it multiple times situations, somebody’s going to scoop some of the time, meaning no math!!

But yeah every game is different and what works for one group might not work for another. And I do have a guy who’s great at pot chopping math. Also the guy who smokes the most weed - go figure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom