Rogue One (1 Viewer)

bivey

Full House
Reaction score
Anyone see the new trailer? Does this not look badass. Monmothma, Gran Moff Tarkin, stealing the plans for the death star. Amazing looking SE with old school star wars props. What's not to love!?

Discuss:

I have no idea what you just said, because I have never seen a Star Wars film. But, I was in the theater watching an unrelated film, and saw the trailer for Rogue One. Here's the text I sent to my movie buff/geeky buddy. "Was that Donnie fucking Yen I just saw in the Rogue One trailer??? That might be the thing that finally gets me to see a Star Wars movie!"...

Unrelated note - Donnie Yen is in his 50's, and is married to a beautiful woman in her 30's, I believe. That is all.

Never seen a Star Wars film? srsly?? Sorry dude.

As far as Rogue One, YES looks cool. Can some nerd tell me if it is AT ALL a part of the numerical sequence? Or is it just side stories to make"Republic Credits, Imperial Credits, or Wupiupi" aka cheddar??

Never seen a Star Wars film? srsly?? Sorry dude.

As far as Rogue One, YES looks cool. Can some nerd tell me if it is AT ALL a part of the numerical sequence? Or is it just side stories to make"Republic Credits, Imperial Credits, or Wupiupi" aka cheddar??
Part of the numerical sequence? Sort of...the events take place between 3 (Revenge of the Sith) and 4 (A New Hope). It is technically not part of the Prequel Trilogy, Original Trilogy, or the Sequel Trilogy. It has been said by the bigwigs in interviews that the trilogies are separate dealing primarily with the Skywalker family as the focus while the other movies will be in the same universe but not focused on the Skywalker timeline.

tl;dr - Yes, to make more money.

Part of the numerical sequence? Sort of...the events take place between 3 (Revenge of the Sith) and 4 (A New Hope). It is technically not part of the Prequel Trilogy, Original Trilogy, or the Sequel Trilogy. It has been said by the bigwigs in interviews that the trilogies are separate dealing primarily with the Skywalker family as the focus while the other movies will be in the same universe but not focused on the Skywalker timeline.

tl;dr - Yes, to make more money.
It only makes sense to start churning out as much as possible to keep up with marvel studios. In the words of pink Floyd, "Who cares what it's about, so long as the kids go."

Interestingly, the latest, longer trailer tempered my interest in this film quite a bit. Maybe it showed too much. Dunno. I wasn't expecting to be enthused by this pre-project (episode 3.1?) but the first trailer was pretty slick. This latest one just made it look a bit normal.

As much as I loved the new trailer, I kind of wish I hadn't watched it. Lots of beautiful shots and cool looking sets, but I want to experience it for the first time in the context of the movie rather than in a trailer, so I'll probably avoid more exposure to this point as much as possible.

As for the cash grab point, obviously yes, it's a cash grab. Disney paid $4 billion and they're going to recoup. That said, I think this era has the potential to be a new golden age for the property. We're not yet to the point of oversaturation, so the property will attract the best possible talent able to mine for new material in a universe that was until this point off limits. Having Gareth Edwards and Rian Johnson on board for the next two releases has giant potential.

I would think the product will be really good for about 4 or 5 years before we hit the wall and new productions are almost exclusively revenue-generators rather than passion projects. It seems like a lot of fans are afraid that a television series is the shark jumper, but I think a series could be good and particularly if it's done in an anthology style it would be amazing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom