Harbor Lights faded/yellowed inlays. What's going on here? (1 Viewer)

Carnth

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been building up my Harbor Lights set and I noticed that some of the inlays look faded/yellowed compared to others.
Does anyone know what's going on? Are they older and actually faded over time? Were some chips left out in the sunlight? Is this a printing error (between different batches)?
It only seems to affect he printed inlay. The actual chip/clay colors are uniform regardless of the faded inlays or not.

I found one $500 chip with a faded inlay on one side and a non-faded inlay on the other side of the same chip!

What the hell is going on?
If you know, please reply and let me know. I'll even take replies if they are just guesses (even if they are horrible guesses). Please discuss what this could be.

Just curious. Here are example pics...

Faded 25s
20230206_151931.jpg

Non-faded / Crisp 100s
20230206_151758.jpg

Faded 500s
20230206_151650.jpg

Side by side Faded and Non-Faded / Crisp 25s
20230421_154619.jpg

Non Faded and Faded 500s. This particular non-faded 500 has a faded inlay on the other side!
20230421_154950.jpg

I see a good amount of Vegas chips that have non faded inlay on one side and faded on another side. I was told by experienced chippers that people frame chips, then get exposed to sunlight on only one side. If it’s only one side, someone put in display or frame.

Also might be simply easy to fade for chips that are faded both sides. GN $5s are so easy to get yellowed on both sides, like a chip that’s only an year old or so gets badly faded. GN $5s have shaped inlays, but these don’t. Maybe someone soaked for a long time?

I see a good amount of Vegas chips that have non faded inlay on one side and faded on another side. I was told by experienced chippers that people frame chips, then get exposed to sunlight on only one side. If it’s only one side, someone put in display or frame.

I was thinking this too, but I have found only that one $500 chip that is faded on one side. All the rest are faded equally on both sides. And chip to chip denomination to denomination the amount of fade or yellowing is the same.

They look OK on the $25s. Maybe they were doing some sort of the color shade matching and used the wrong base art?

I had a bunch of these and noticed it as well. My thinking was that it’s two different shades on the inlay. Think Terribles St. Joe primary VS secondary. I realize the Harbor Lights aren’t primary/secondary but it was my initial thought.
F0B5E9FD-AC1D-446B-9F51-620BB3C6996E.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom