RIVER RAT - ceramic hybrid scrown (1 Viewer)

Himewad

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small sample set of genuine TRK scrown chips, and they are fantastic. And they are fantastic-ly priced, so I won't be owning an authentic TRK chip set anytime soon. So when I saw these ceramic hybrid chips with the scrown mold, I knew that I had to pounce. The "River Rat" is a term that one of my regulars uses whenever someone sucks out a winning card on the river. And me being me, I decided to make an entire chip set out of his table talk.

I wanted TRK-style edge spots, which made perfect sense combined with the scrown mold. The colors may not be TRK colors, but I always like using bright colors in my chip sets. Now, a rat isn't exactly an appealing character to build a theme around, but a male and female rat tubing on the river enjoying a cold beverage? Now we're getting somewhere! I love the silhouette design, and I like that the only color on the label comes from the denomination - I think it adds to the retro-feel of the label.

The cut cards are the aluminum versions made by JL Customs, and the dealer button was made a while back. I will be making a new dealer button to match the font used on the chips, and I'll be adding a nickel chip to the set soon. I do have a few sample sets still available - send me a PM if interested. Enjoy the pictures!

1695816239225.png

IMG_8450.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8457.jpeg

Each chip, including the newly added nickels.

IMG_8903.jpeg

Last edited:
I love my sample set! These are very neat chips and the new hybrid chip format is game changer, in my opinion. The chip blanks are a bit thicker than cards mold, and the edges seem a touch sharper. These are awesome chips available at entry level pricing. Nice job on the design too James. Great colors and a neat vintage looking label design.

Does this mean you're playing cash games at your place now?

:p

Pretty sure all of the Tina ceramics (and elsewhere) are 3.3mm thick.
Individual chips may "round" to 3.3mm, but any cards mold barrels that I've measured are just a little over 65mm. I only have 6 of these newer chips, but even with that few of them, the stack of 6 is noticeably slightly taller than a stack of 6 cards mold. These 6 measure 19.88mm which multiplied out for 20 chips comes to 66.27mm. So possibly around 1mm taller than a barrel of CM.

James, you have cards mold chips don't you? Would you be willing to photograph a barrel of these new hybrids next to a barrel of cards mold?

Thanks for the thorough comparison James. So the new scrown hybrids are almost as tall as a barrel of minty Paulsons! Very cool!

We are inching closer. I think we will start with some small stakes just to get people used to the circus games. Then I'll have them hooked.

Season 3 Cheers GIF by Paramount+
Yep, Cash is KING! I enjoy playing in an occasional tournament. Like maybe once every couple of months. But I would play cash a couple of times a week if I could find more good home game hosts.

I have a small sample set of genuine TRK scrown chips, and they are fantastic. And they are fantastic-ly priced, so I won't be owning an authentic TRK chip set anytime soon. So when I saw these ceramic hybrid chips with the scrown mold, I knew that I had to pounce. The "River Rat" is a term that one of my regulars uses whenever someone sucks out a winning card on the river. And me being me, I decided to make an entire chip set out of his table talk.

I wanted TRK-style edge spots, which made perfect sense combined with the scrown mold. The colors may not be TRK colors, but I always like using bright colors in my chip sets. Now, a rat isn't exactly an appealing character to build a theme around, but a male and female rat tubing on the river enjoying a cold beverage? Now we're getting somewhere! I love the silhouette design, and the only color coming from the denomination adds to the retro-feel of the label.

The cut cards are the aluminum versions made by JL Customs, and the dealer button was made a while back. I will be making a new dealer button to match the font used on the chips, and I'll be adding a nickel chip to the set soon. My samples are completely gone, so no need to ask. Enjoy the pictures!

View attachment 1201788
View attachment 1201781
View attachment 1201783
View attachment 1201782
View attachment 1201784
Love this set! I'm a big fan of a blue $1. Glad to see you start playing some cash games.

Great looking set. Do you prefer the solid/straight lines on your new set versus the “variable” rolling edge marks? My feeling is the variable rolling edge spots look a little too uniform in “trying” to look like the variable clay rolling edge… just my opinion.

Great looking set. Do you prefer the solid/straight lines on your new set versus the “variable” rolling edge marks? My feeling is the variable rolling edge spots look a little too uniform in “trying” to look like the variable clay rolling edge… just my opinion.
No preference. They are both awesome!

River rats is my fantasy football team name for years. If you have samples available later, I'd love to buy a set!

I wanted TRK-style edge spots, which made perfect sense combined with the scrown mold. The colors may not be TRK colors, but I always like using bright colors in my chip sets. Now, a rat isn't exactly an appealing character to build a theme around, but a male and female rat tubing on the river enjoying a cold beverage? Now we're getting somewhere! I love the silhouette design, and I like that the only color on the label comes from the denomination - I think it adds to the retro-feel of the label.

The cut cards are the aluminum versions made by JL Customs, and the dealer button was made a while back. I will be making a new dealer button to match the font used on the chips, and I'll be adding a nickel chip to the set soon. My samples are completely gone, so no need to ask (although more may be coming soon). Enjoy the pictures!

View attachment 1201788
View attachment 1201781
View attachment 1201783
View attachment 1201782
View attachment 1201784

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if anyone is interested in buying a set of these River Rat chips, send me a PM.

And I will be getting more sample sets. I am getting an extra barrel+ of each denomination for the heck of it, eventually including nickel chips.

Just to confirm, these are the same set up as the the “greek mold” with a recess for label/sticker but just with a different mold of course? Are chips and labels smooth? Glossy or matte? Any spinner issues that the cards mold seem to have? Thanks.

Just to confirm, these are the same set up as the the “greek mold” with a recess for label/sticker but just with a different mold of course? Are chips and labels smooth? Glossy or matte? Any spinner issues that the cards mold seem to have? Thanks.
Yes, essentially the same but on a different mold. From what I have been told (because I don’t have a sample of the New Greek Mold chips), the ceramic hybrid scrown chips may be slightly thicker at just over 3.3mm. The labels are textured with a matte finish, but not nearly as textured as Gear textured labels. Almost more “subtle bumps” on the label surface as opposed to a crosshair texture. Close up picture is below. I may have a few spinners, but I also have well over 1000 chips. Much better ratio than the cards mold chips IMO.

IMG_8569.jpeg

Last edited:

The cut cards are the aluminum versions made by JL Customs, and the dealer button was made a while back. I will be making a new dealer button to match the font used on the chips, and I'll be adding a nickel chip to the set soon. My samples are completely gone, so no need to ask (although more may be coming soon). Enjoy the pictures!

View attachment 1201788
View attachment 1201781
View attachment 1201783
View attachment 1201782
View attachment 1201784

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but if anyone is interested in buying a set of these River Rat chips, send me a PM.

And I will be getting more sample sets. I am getting an extra barrel+ of each denomination for the heck of it, eventually including nickel chips.
Just saw this. Sending PM

I have some more 6-chip sample sets available if anyone still wants to check out these chips. Just send me a PM. At a later date, you will also get a 5-cent chip shipped in a plain envelope when I receive them in the current order.

Also, I received my new River Rat dealer buttons earlier this week. The font on the old DB didn't match my new chip set, so I needed an updated version.

River Rat 2.jpg

Last edited:
Last call! If anyone wants to order some of these River Rat chips for a set, let me know in the next hour!

If you want the cut cards, just send a message to @Potsie1 . I’ll let anyone buy them from him if you want them. As for the dealer button … keep your eyes peeled in the group buy subforum in the next few weeks or so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom