RFID info needed. (1 Viewer)

Ghouse

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm having a custom dream table built by Chan Man right now. I am having a dilemma on weather I should set up RFID or not. As of now Chan Man is prepping my table for RFID but if I don't install it can easily be added later on site.
The info I seek is simple ,what is the very best RFID system out there?. I'm in love with the Lodge Poker Club in Texas live stream. Its second to none. If you haven't taken a look at it. I suggest you do. I have reached out to them for just the questions I ask here. But they wont tell me what program they are using or what computer / cameras / anything. I explained I'm in Canada so I'm not a threat to their viewership. I would sign a non disclosure if necessary. I just want the best RFID instead of wasting time and money experimenting. Any help from all of you would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

I don‘t know this stream, but most of the streams use different packages from https://www.videopokertable.net/
Holy shitballs, that's expensive hardware. A friend of mine did something similar 10-15 years ago with aliexpress parts and made his own software. The only rfid cards available to him, were some horrible Chinese cards so a deck of cards were 7-8" high. :D
But still, $100 for a deck of cards is insane.

Andrew in Perth I believe makes and distributes all the live stream cash games.
you’re looking at $2k+ min for a set up

I'm having a custom dream table built by Chan Man right now. I am having a dilemma on weather I should set up RFID or not. As of now Chan Man is prepping my table for RFID but if I don't install it can easily be added later on site.
The info I seek is simple ,what is the very best RFID system out there?. I'm in love with the Lodge Poker Club in Texas live stream. Its second to none. If you haven't taken a look at it. I suggest you do. I have reached out to them for just the questions I ask here. But they wont tell me what program they are using or what computer / cameras / anything. I explained I'm in Canada so I'm not a threat to their viewership. I would sign a non disclosure if necessary. I just want the best RFID instead of wasting time and money experimenting. Any help from all of you would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Yes, definitely!

Disclaimer: I say that because I want @T_Chan to also build one for his game so I can see it in action, plus you're local, so maybe a chance to see yours in person one day.

Nice idea but:

Expensive hardware and software
Expensive cards
RDFI chips.? If not someone must enter the data in real time
Who is going to watch it? Poker is not the most exciting sport for spectators
Some people might object to reveal they cards to others and I would not blame them

Having said that... If you can afford it, who is stopping you?

I must admit I'm tempted to make a ghetto-version of this. I'm sure the technology has improved since my friend looked at this. At that point you needed to drag the folded cards to a "muck-square" to register them as folded as it couldn't read many cards at once. I believe the limitation was in the reader.
Problem is that I already have a great (and expensive) table with a diner table top. Also my players would hate to reveal their hands, so it would basically be used once per year at our company event.
In Andrew's defense, most of the functionality is related to video/TV-production and would certainly save money for them and it isn't a volume business. Would be cool to have a home game version of it, but I guess it wouldn't be worth his time.

Edit: Also, I can't find any usable, cheaper RFID cards. I guess they're not a volume product either. Anyone found anything useful here?

Could you explain exactly how you intend to use the RFID in your home game? Unless you are just doing because you think it's cool, I don't see any benefit, unless you plan to:
  • replay the hands later to find out what your friends were holding and their betting patterns so that you can have an edge in future games
  • have someone monitoring the live feed and report back to you in real time (crotch theory optimal)
  • stream the games back to everyone that played in them so they can re-live all of their mistakes
Seems like an expensive gimmick to have just for shits and giggles, and two of the three other uses aren't that ethical.

Could you explain exactly how you intend to use the RFID in your home game? Unless you are just doing because you think it's cool, I don't see any benefit, unless you plan to:
  • replay the hands later to find out what your friends were holding and their betting patterns so that you can have an edge in future games
  • have someone monitoring the live feed and report back to you in real time (crotch theory optimal)
  • stream the games back to everyone that played in them so they can re-live all of their mistakes
Seems like an expensive gimmick to have just for shits and giggles, and two of the three other uses aren't that ethical.

My thoughts in a nutshell, thanks for elucidating, Bart

I have looked into this, I just wanted one fixed overhead camera and a 20min delay on a big screen so we can all laugh at each others hands... However even though the video part is cheaper than the full setup it's just not sane or feasible. I'm still hoping someone invents a cheaper domestic version of this tech soon haha

Would you like to set up an RFID poker table for RFID playing cards, for RFID poker chips of for both?

Sorry, missed this first time around. If it was directed at me, it would be to discuss hands with the players* - or rather strategy. Hopefully it would make at least some players improve and that would force the rest to git gud or get rekt.
Edit: *-post game of course

Sorry, missed this first time around. If it was directed at me, it would be to discuss hands with the players* - or rather strategy. Hopefully it would make at least some players improve and that would force the rest to git gud or get rekt.
Edit: *-post game of course
No, it was directed to the OP. Your intended purpose does meet the ethical portion of the equation, but unless the cost drops dramatically, it is a very expensive way to teach your players to improve (IMO).

I've talked to Tony about doing this so we could stream our games.

So far I've decided against it. I'd love to make one in the future.

No, it was directed to the OP. Your intended purpose does meet the ethical portion of the equation, but unless the cost drops dramatically, it is a very expensive way to teach your players to improve (IMO).
Absolutely. Then again, the expensive way is pretty much the way I've been running when it comes to poker already so...

I also considered hole cams back in the day, like @surfik suggested. We had a player working with video editing too. The problem was to find a reasonable priced video card to take in 8 or so sources, that can save them in an editable format. There's plenty of surveillance video cards that costs $150 or so. but they store videos in a proprietary format as they have this illusion that it will make them tamper proof as evidence. I asked several to make WMV/AVI drivers but they refused. It's obviously no reason for the other cards to be priced at $3500 hardware wise, but there we are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom