retro design - all same spots or simple progression? other criticism also welcome (1 Viewer)

Which spots do you prefer?

• Top row - all the same

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Bottom row - simple progression

Votes: 24 60.0%

• Total voters
Awesome stuff, Jack! It's a meatup-worthy breakdown, and I hope to talk you into adding another rack of $20s. Such an epic set and would be fantastic on md-50. After thinking on these (factoring in the cost of some spots a tad, but it's your money, so not really lol) I like this option. Of course, any you wind up with are going to be superb.

Didn't we see a 3T316318 chip lately? Level gazillion. I like this $500, and the 318 would be bright white.

jbutler_retroballa1.jpg

i've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, but i'm waiting on a potential development in mold availability before i commit. which reminds me, i ought to check in with my sources to see where that might be.

i have pretty specific plans for the inlay. the mapes inlay used above is probably a good placeholder as i'm envisioning a similarly ink-on-paper look for mine, but with a small splash of color in one spot. i'll get John on the job as soon as i make a mold decision.

with courage's and others' counsel, i think i've settled on the below:

cxTJF0G.jpg

with a breakdown of:

200 (.50)
1000 (1)
1200 (5)
100 (20)
400 (25)
100 (100)
20 (500)

i'll be taking a look at all the purple/lav/retro lav combos for the $20 spots since courage mentioned above that he thought lav and retro lav worked better in person than on the chip factory. i'll have to scrutinize my color samples before making a decision.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

The $5 is an absolute Killer. One of the best color combos in the CPC palette IMO. Personally, I would go with a 212 spot for the $1, and for whatever reason I would want the $20 as 3DS316 spots, to be on par with the $25. Thats just my OCD though.

That's the lol cost savings I was talking about. I can see the progression of the larger spot on the $25 and he saves 25c/chip, $100 over 4 racks, since 3ds316 is level 3 and 3ds318 is level 4.

My initial version of the $500 3T316318 where the 318 would be arc yellow or bright white. I prolly like this better.
jbutler_500.jpg

What about staged spots? Where as for example and fracs would have two spots. 1's, 2's and 5's would have three spots. 10's four spots and 20's five or six...you get it...(and an oversized 10 or 20 FTW!)

bump my old thread because i'm anxiously awaiting to see how they rounders chipes shuffle and whether i want to go scroll mold for this thing which is really tempting because i love the thought of oversized hundos and five hundos.

if i do, i'm thinking the below mock-up is pretty damn close to my final answer (some tinkering with the $500 perhaps) in the following breakdown:

300 (.50)
1200 (1)
1000 (5)
100 (20)
400 (25)
100 (100)
20 (500)

the $20 and $25 would obviously never be in play concurrently, but i want $20 for limit games and $25 for big bet games.

comments, criticisms?

klpwAKX.png

Bottom row for sure. It may need a tweek but always better than all the chips with the same spot. If you are getting custom chips, make 'em look that way. I've never liked any set where the spots are the same with one exception, Stardust Mansion Tournament chips.

Nice mockups, I have always wanted to do an oversize 20 or 25, for my .25/.50 game, unfortunately the A mold is not available...

By the way I have 4 CPC sample sets at my desk and they shuffle nicely....

I really like the half-pie 50c and that $20 is fawesome (as is the $25).

The $100 and $500 don't scream awesome to me and I don't have any suggestions to offer at the moment. Maybe my tune will change if/when we get to see mock-ups w/ artwork?

Bottom row for sure. It may need a tweek but always better than all the chips with the same spot. If you are getting custom chips, make 'em look that way.

Yeah I've pretty much moved on from the questions in the OP. See most recent mock up above for the direction of this set regardless of what mold I ultimately choose.

The $100 and $500 don't scream awesome to me and I don't have any suggestions to offer at the moment. Maybe my tune will change if/when we get to see mock-ups w/ artwork?

Would love to see some suggestions. I learned from courage's advice to always look for alternatives even when I think I've found what I like...

That's very good advice for sure. I haven't been to the chip factory in months (years?) so I feel like I'm off my game (as average as it may be), especially with the new spot options available. I'll see if I can throw together some ideas.

So much to love about this set, for me esp. the frac, $5, and hundo. I think I get where you're going with the $20, a heavy chip to contrast with the $1 for limit games, but the quarter pie throws me a little. It's unusual and cool, so no complaints, but thought I'd offer possible alternatives. Also tweaked $500 colors. This will be a sweet set, can't wait to see them with J5 art.

jbutler_retro5.jpg
jbutler_retro6.jpg

courage top set (modified $20 and tweaked $500) >>>>> latest jbutler mockups. On board with all others, although not sold on the simplicity of the hundo.... seems like it should stand out more. Can you add bright white in-between those existing spots? Or is that spot config not available?

what do we think about making the $20 an oversized chip and this alternative spot config? kind of weird to have an oversized $20 and a 39mm $25, but it makes sense since the $20 would be the "big chip" in the games where it plays. i also messed around very slightly with the hundo. not sure where to go with that. when i get one version nailed down in my mind, it's hard to think outside that box.

NAzg4IB.png

I like your 1/4 pie $20. At first glance I said to myself that I need to play around more on the site, to me it's a unique chip. The $500 doesn't do anything for me. Maybe too much going on and doesn't seem to go with the other chips.

image.jpg Not sure how to save just the chip. I did the grey spots as light blue and liked it slightly more but your 1/2 pie is light blue and reading through previous messages you want variation. Might be the unbalanced 5 spot that is throwing me off.

what do we think about making the $20 an oversized chip and this alternative spot config? kind of weird to have an oversized $20 and a 39mm $25, but it makes sense since the $20 would be the "big chip" in the games where it plays. i also messed around very slightly with the hundo. not sure where to go with that. when i get one version nailed down in my mind, it's hard to think outside that box.

NAzg4IB.png
Now we're talkin. I'm on board, sweet idea. I'm ready to sign off if original hundo was back lol. But I've not handled the scroll mold, small detail lol.

The hundo was fine imo, but also nice with a little bright white. As oversize and pink, it's gonna make a statement either way. It does move it more away from the retro feel of the set to make it more complex, but the $500 does that too. I like your latest blurple btw.

courage top set (modified $20 and tweaked $500) >>>>> latest jbutler mockups. On board with all others, although not sold on the simplicity of the hundo.... seems like it should stand out more. Can you add bright white in-between those existing spots? Or is that spot config not available?

That spot isn't listed but I'm sure it could probably be ordered...Level?

No complex spots possible on 44mm - what you see is what you get. That particular one wouldn't be possible anyway (although on a 39mm chip you could do 414+DS18 a la Redbelly 25k and Iron Bank 5k - I'm not convinced it would add anything.)

Oversize $20 is fawesome. Previous version of hundo > bright white added version. Latest version of $500 by JButler = winnar.

I want to play limit with those $1s and $20s SOOOO bad. :)

F me, it's late. Fooking work...

I like your 1/4 pie $20. At first glance I said to myself that I need to play around more on the site, to me it's a unique chip. The $500 doesn't do anything for me. Maybe too much going on and doesn't seem to go with the other chips.

i tend to agree with regard to the $500 fitting in with the rest of the chips. but it's really sort of an "extra" anyway - i'd only order a barrel - so i thought i'd go a little crazy with the colors. let's be honest, it will only see play as an ego chip. some people love to get the biggest chips in their stack just to show they can.

i'll already have at least 3 and prob 4 racks of $25s and then a rack of $100s, so that would be the only purpose for the chip. it just seemed like kind of a shame to do oversized chips and NOT have a $500. if i handle the scolls and still prefer the MD-50 by a significant margin, i'll prob go MD-50 for the set and not do a $500 chip after all.

But I've not handled the scroll mold, small detail lol.

yeah i'm pretty psyched to see the rounders set just to handle them and make a decision. that's the only thing holding this set up. well, that and the required $6k+ to buy the set, but hey, small details...

yeah like Ben said i don't think there's much room to maneuver with that spot on the 44mm, which is actually fine for the most part since most people will only be getting one or two oversized chips in a set, so you don't necessarily need a ton of options.

No complex spots possible on 44mm - what you see is what you get. That particular one wouldn't be possible anyway (although on a 39mm chip you could do 414+DS18 a la Redbelly 25k and Iron Bank 5k - I'm not convinced it would add anything.)

Oversize $20 is fawesome. Previous version of hundo > bright white added version. Latest version of $500 by JButler = winnar.

I want to play limit with those $1s and $20s SOOOO bad. :)

yeah the bright white inclusion was just a bit of experimentation. i'm open to ideas, though. as much as the $500 draws us away from the retro feel, i would like to stay somewhat straightforward for the hundo even though it's dg pink and oversized ;)

i tend to agree with regard to the $500 fitting in with the rest of the chips. but it's really sort of an "extra" anyway - i'd only order a barrel - so i thought i'd go a little crazy with the colors. let's be honest, it will only see play as an ego chip. some people love to get the biggest chips in their stack just to show they can.

It's funny I look at it today on my desktop and not the iPad and I like the chip much more. I get what you're saying and if that's the case why not swap out the light blue for another dayglo. All spots should be dayglo if the people who have them are looking to get noticed.

yeah the bright white inclusion was just a bit of experimentation. i'm open to ideas, though. as much as the $500 draws us away from the retro feel, i would like to stay somewhat straightforward for the hundo even though it's dg pink and oversized ;)

I liked the bright white addition to the chip.

I also like the idea of the 44mm $20, too bad you can't do the 1/4 pie in the 44mm but I think that design has passed. Looking forward to see what the inlay will look like. As much as I'd like to I don't think I can help you with the $6k problem.

What's the plan for the inlay on this again?

Edit...

I think I just remembered. A retro design similar to the Mapes?

What's the plan for the inlay on this again?

Edit...

I think I just remembered. A retro design similar to the Mapes?

yeah i used that as a reference point, but i don't know how accurate that really is. there will be some color to the chip, but it will have the look of a handdrawn ink design similar to the mapes.

Are we going to get a glimpse of the artwork before they arrive?

i haven't even gotten J5 to start yet since i've yet to decide on a mold, but yeah i'll post it up at some point beforehand.

I had a thought for your 500.

Take it or leave it just thought the spot might work better for progression.

image.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom