Retire in North Carolina ... poker wasteland? (1 Viewer)

I can schedule you for some home tours in Dallas when you are here for DiD. Huge plus - established home game.
That is a huge plus, but try as I might my wife doesn’t understand the allure. And no way in hell I’m going to be touring homes instead of playing pokerz during DiD!

Update … we visited Lake Norman outside of Charlotte and loved the area. Home prices are pretty crazy though. Our next trip is scheduled in a couple of weeks and will include RTP, and SC beach cities/towns (Seabrook Island area along with Bluffton). Home prices there also seem very high.

Denver area, Nashville area, and Sarasota/Bradenton are also at the top of the list and we’ll have to visit them soon. Not sure those areas are any more reasonable in terms of home prices. I think the real estate market is just overheated in general right now.
Oh yeah, it’s crazy everywhere. Could be for a while too.

That is a huge plus, but try as I might my wife doesn’t understand the allure. And no way in hell I’m going to be touring homes instead of playing pokerz during DiD!
Poker starts at 10am. Home tours scheduled 8am to 10am. Donuts included.

Update …...... I think the real estate market is just overheated in general right now.
I know it is overheated right now....

I am more or less in your same position of looking for a winter place somewhere warm. I have decided that I will rent for a yr or 3 until things cool off a bit.

Update … we visited Lake Norman outside of Charlotte and loved the area. Home prices are pretty crazy though. Our next trip is scheduled in a couple of weeks and will include RTP, and SC beach cities/towns (Seabrook Island area along with Bluffton). Home prices there also seem very high.

Denver area, Nashville area, and Sarasota/Bradenton are also at the top of the list and we’ll have to visit them soon. Not sure those areas are any more reasonable in terms of home prices. I think the real estate market is just overheated in general right now.
Lake Norman is where NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon lives (or lived during his career - I'm not a stalker). Once you have multi-millionaire sports figures moving in, you have to expect housing prices little higher than the local average.

Lake Norman is where NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon lives (or lived during his career - I'm not a stalker). Once you have multi-millionaire sports figures moving in, you have to expect housing prices little higher than the local average.
It might be weird, but the absolute prices don’t bother me as much as the recent run up does. When I see houses selling at 150% of what they sold at just a couple of years ago, it worries me.

We lived in Charlotte for a decade and loved it.
We live in RTP for over 11 years and love it even more. Shoot me a DM for any talk points to help the cause.

....Once you have multi-millionaire sports figures moving in, you have to expect housing prices little higher than the local average.
Glad we don't have any of those here.

OTOH, Mick Jagger just bought a nice home about a mile away in our neighborhood. I don't remember what team he plays for, but the name sounds familiar.

(Another of our neighbors and tennis club members turns 80 today -- Dick Vitale. Maybe he'll dump another cooler of Gatorade over his own head after he plays....)

Austin is definitely going nuts this year as far as growth goes and shortage of homes (similar to many other cities around the US but more exaggerated). Just this year alone over 1500 homes have sold by 100k or more over the asking price. https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...-sold-for-100k-over-asking-price-since-jan-1/

It's a fun city with a lot to offer as far as music, concerts, clubs, bars, grand prix, shopping, food, lakes, parks, and poker goes. Lots of good games can be found at Texas Card House or the Lodge along with home games. No state income tax but property tax can be pretty painful.

If you consider this area, I wouldn't try to buy a home in Austin right now unless have a need to stay near downtown. Instead look to areas like Dripping Springs, Georgetown or Leander. There are quick shots to Austin when you need to go (30-40 minutes without traffic to downtown) and are expanding quickly with nice restaurants, shopping centers and more reasonable home prices.

Another really big bonus to living in Texas and especially the Austin area is HEB grocery stores. Great prices, good selection and lots of good meat. A new flagship store is getting built around the Georgetown area and will have a BBQ restaurant included: https://communityimpact.com/austin/...b-coming-to-wolf-lakes-village-in-georgetown/

Last edited:

I built an A.I. algorithm to randomly assess your options. I'm not sure what factors drove the decision since it is A.I., but below are the outcomes ranked best to worst:

27518.jpeg
27514.jpeg
27508.jpeg
27500.jpeg
27510.jpeg

Buffalo NY. Relatively low for property prices. Poker in Niagara Falls and only a half hour from the Canadian border. And when winter hits we are ready (sorry Texas).

The way I see it, everywhere you go there are natural disasters. There are earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes. All of those you have to EVACUATE to safety. Here in Buffalo, we get blizzards. For blizzards for don't evacuate, you STAY HOME. Hell we even had a mayor come on tv to tell us, and I quote, "buy a six pack of beer and stay home". I like buying beer and staying home better than boarding up my house and running away. Think about it man.
Buffalo always gets shit on because of the weather. Yeah, it can be cold and we can get a ton of snow, but I can't think of a place I'd rather be, truthfully. Bonus, because of global warming our winters have been mild the last 4 or 5 years. So yay for chlorofluorocarbons :rolleyes:

I built an A.I. algorithm to randomly assess your options. I'm not sure what factors drove the decision since it is A.I., but below are the outcomes ranked best to worst:

Sarasota wins on my monitor -- only about an inch and a half long, and a lot more blue in the picture.

....There are earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes. All of those you have to EVACUATE to safety.
Not on the west coast of Florida. You just put up your shutters or close your storm screens and ride the 'cane out.
One of my best tennis friends has been down here for 24 years, lives right on the water, and doesn't even own storm shutters.

Of course he's a nutzo former F16 test pilot, but what the hey... :cool

(And if you try to evacuate, you just get to spend 10+ hours stopped on the interstates with all the other sheep, anyway.)

When I got my BS in 1977, I interviewed with IBM in Rochester, MN, and Kodak in Rochester, NY. Very nice towns, but both told me "continuous snow cover from November 1 until the end of April."

I said "No thank you," and headed for South Carolina... :cool

The way I see it, everywhere you go there are natural disasters. There are earthquakes, wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes. All of those you have to EVACUATE to safety. Here in Buffalo, we get blizzards. For blizzards for don't evacuate, you STAY HOME.

I grew up in Western Massachusetts and now live 20 miles away in New York’s Hudson Valley. Very few natural disasters in the area over 50 years. Once every 20 years a small tornado touches down and does some very isolated damage over a small area. Similarly you get a major ice storm maybe once per generation. Not a big issue if you have a generator. Pretty stable region.

Do people really select where to live based on natural disasters? That’s pretty low on my list of factors.

Do people really select where to live based on natural disasters? That’s pretty low on my list of factors.
Depends how frequently it happens. When we lived in Houston we would have to deal with a flood it felt like almost once a year. Some were really minor some much more major (Hurricane Harvey). Our home was lucky to be on high ground but if you went one block down the street in either direction you were nearly under water.

I read Dallas is close to overtaking Chicago as the nation's 3rd largest city... That doesn't sound like the makings of a good retirement, IMO.

I read Dallas is close to overtaking Chicago as the nation's 3rd largest city... That doesn't sound like the makings of a good retirement, IMO.
It's a fantastic retirement. Easy money at the Windy Crest Poker Room.

Just buy a house now before they are all $1,000,000 plus.

My wife loves to travel and wants access to a major airport ideally. I view the Dallas metro area as a bunch of small cities tied together.

Just a quick update based on some recent travels. Still considering the following cities probably in the following order of likelihood: Charlotte (Lake Norman), Dallas/Austin, Nashville, Denver, Richmond, Sarasota
We should do a round of F*ck/Marry/Kill with these.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom