Restoring and bringing color back to Chipcos (1 Viewer)

Potsie1

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a simple way to bring color and vibrancy back to chipcos. I hate how chipcos lose their color but when you wash them they brighten up with water. Then once they dry they're faded again. I read up on restoring tile, porcelains and ceramics. Most suggest a polish. The problem is many come in a spray bottle. At my work we sell Amish wood milk(ceramabryte work as well though I seem to get better results with amish wood milk). Its a furniture cleaner, restorer, polisher. The nice thing is it comes with a soft scrub consistency. I'll let the results speak for themselves.

All chipcos have a different amount of wear. This process brings out the colors that are left on your chip. Only use on chips where the texture has worn off. Slightly worn to heavily worn chips will see great results. Only chips completely worn down won't see any help because the color is basically gone.

Will this work for yours? To test if this will work on your chipco simply run it under water. If running it under water changes the brilliance or tone of the color then this process will work. I liken this process to oiling your chips. It probably wont last forever and simply makes colors pop. For a more permanent and drastic result (way more difficult) check out my thread here using clear coat or recolor.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/recolor-your-chipcos.11318/

Additional pictures below with steps.
1. Clean your chip
2. Put a bb size or smaller dab on your finger and work it onto the surface. Use as little as possible. Any excess should be spread to the next chip.
3. Let it sit for 1 minute for fast results or let it sit for one hour for even better results. After one minute it will still be damp but you should still proceed to step 4.
4. Using a microfiber cloth buff it off.

Additional notes: You can put on multiple layers. I found pretty good results as well cleaning with ceramabryte and then polishing with amish wood milk. I think this is probably overkill but definitely potent.

Thats it! The nice part is it's a matte finish so no unnecessary shine. Totally natural. Also it makes them slightly less slick so the chips don't slide as much.

Can you tell the difference?

20170802_175958.jpg

Step 1 and 2
20170806_121617.jpg

Step 3
20170806_121643.jpg

Step 4
20170806_121939.jpg

Attachments

• 20170806_121546.jpg
    20170806_121546.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I think I've finally found a simple way to bring the color and vibrancy back to chipcos. I hate how chipcos lose their color but when you wash them they brighten up with water. Then once they dry they're faded again. I read up on restoring tile, porcelains and ceramics. Most suggest a polish. The problem is many come in a spray bottle. At my work we sell Amish wood milk. Its a furniture cleaner, restorer, polisher. The nice thing is it comes with a soft scrub consistency. I'll let the results speak for themselves.
1. Clean your chip
2. Put a bb size dab on your finger and work it onto the surface
3. Let it dry for 2 minutes
4. Using a microfiber cloth buff it off.

Thats it! I did these about 10 days ago and theyre still brilliant. The nice part is it's a matte finish so no unnecessary shine. Totally natural. Also it makes them slightly less slick so the chips don't slide as much.

Can you tell the difference?

View attachment 112523

Wow that really works. Thanks for the tip

So many jokes about Amish milk...

I wonder if it would restore a white Chipco that is pink from sitting next to a red chip. I noticed on my sample set of Oysters tonight that the red $5 has leached into the white $1 just by sitting in a rack together.

So many jokes about Amish milk...

I wonder if it would restore a white Chipco that is pink from sitting next to a red chip. I noticed on my sample set of Oysters tonight that the red $5 has leached into the white $1 just by sitting in a rack together.
Negative. Consider the red color a permanent part of your chip. Amish wood milk........yup, can think of a few jokes.

Nice work. (y) :thumbsup: Should give new life to thousands of worn ceramics.

Definite improvement. (y) :thumbsup:

If the results hold for any amount of time could be a life saver for Chipcos and other ceramics.

Would take time but it would be interesting to find if it would be helpful in preventing some of the usual ceramic wear after the application process.

Updating results. The chips have retained their color. Another very important result from this very simple(same time as oiling a clay chip) and fast process is it removes or covers the white worn edges. Here is a before and after. Took about two minutes to Amish wood milk both sides and edges. The results speak for themselves.

Compare the left most row.

Before

20171016_115242.jpg

After

20171016_123243.jpg

Updating results. The chips have retained their color. Another very important result from this very simple(same time as oiling a clay chip) and fast process is it removes or covers the white worn edges. Here is a before and after. Took about two minutes to Amish wood milk both sides and edges. The results speak for themselves.

Compare the left most row.

Before

View attachment 127667

After

View attachment 127668
Wow! i am going to have to try this on some of mine now! what a difference!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom