Re-Buy for double of original buy??? (1 Viewer)

Roslindale

Straight
Reaction score
We play a 20K tournament usually with a re-buy or top-off. Last time we played without re-buy or top-off option. I and others really enjoyed the no-rebuy.
I am considering doing a re-buy for double the original buy-in.. ($50 including $10 knockout chip is the original buy in.. re-buy would be $90 for 20k chips.)

Any thoughts on this format?
I figure if someone really wants the re-buy they can pay the penalty.

I don't know that we allow a double re-buy. It's open to those who are knocked out before a certain stage of the game.

Personally I prefer not to encourage people to rebuy unless it is a bad beat. 1/2 price rebuys and rebuys for more than the original starting stack encourages deep pocketed players to bully the table with minimum consequences (IMO).

One way I’ve seen for dealing with this is to increase (double) the registration fee, and include one rebuy OR one add-on as part of the deal. Everyone gets the same number of chips for the same amount of money, and deep pocket bullies learn to rein in a bit or go home early.

Others may have a different perspective.

Edit: I reread the OP and realized that you are charging double for the same amount of chips, not double the chips for the same amount of money. Yes, that punishes the deep pockets, but also the poor sap who gets felted early with a boat over boat loss but still wants to play.

I’m cheap, so I would probably just go home rather than having to pay double to rebuy for the same number of chips.

Last edited:
Our usual game is a T10k STT with $20 buy in and a max of 2 rebuys, each for $20 and T10k in chips. No add-ons, top ups etc. This limits everyone's exposure to $60 for the night, if you get a bad beat early on you can get back in and it's not so much that even late in the game some people just take a punt with $20 to to try hit a couple quick double ups to get back in the game. It works very well for us and stops the big pockets but also doesn't really hurt the small wallet people.

What is preventing you and the others from playing freeze-outs if that is what brings you the most enjoyment?

There is a monthly game in my office building and they do half stack rebuys for the same price. 20K starting with 10K rebuys for the same price. So... sort of what you are talking about. I hate it personally but that is just me. I hate the game for other reasons as well so maybe that colors my opinion.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this format?
I figure if someone really wants the re-buy they can pay the penalty

I absolutely wouldn't play a tournament where rebuys were any higher than the original entry fee. It's bad enough when I have to reenter the tournament just to renew my chance to win... but paying double? No thanks.

If anything, rebuying at any stage of the tournament puts the player at a disadvantage because they're guaranteed to reenter the game with a below average chip stack. Why would you want to discourage players from entering at a disadvantage by charging more the second time around?

Think about the purpose of rebuys. They accomplish two things: 1) they build a larger prize pool with the same number of people and 2) they offer a 'second chance' to anyone eliminated early.

Anyone who doesn't like rebuys are just people who can't make the proper adjustments. Rebuy tournaments require a different strategy than a freezeout. Some people view the rebuy as a safety net, while others use it to justify a more reckless style of play. The absolute worst thing that can happen in a tournament is you lose all your chips and are eliminated. But when that risk is no longer the primary concern, play fundamentally changes. Understand this, make the proper adjustments and profit.

Or just keep it a freezeout and be done with it. If you're the host, run the game you want to play.

Last edited:
It's terrible. The value of your chips go down as soon as the blinds go up, anyone rebuying is already paying a penalty. To pay double the entry fee at any point is stupid. No-one would take that, making the rebuy option pointless.

Edit: @Moxie Mike beat me to it

Freezeout or single rebuy for normal cost.

Charging 2x for a rebuy is simply giving the wealthy a chance to re-enter, while prohibiting players on a budget from doing the same.

The format I’ve usually seen (and run myself) is that rebuys are for 80 - 85% of the original starting stack. This way the rebuy is somewhat disadvantaged. The alternative is the full starting stack rebuy could be an advantage as normally at the final rebuy stage, you have several low stacked players. A rebuy could re-enter fully stacked with an advantage over those low stacked players.

This seems to work out well, no complaints, and balances out the play.

We don’t care how many times you rebuy up to the cut off as you are not really getting an advantage by doing so. I’d opt for the rebuy at a shorter stack vs double the buy-in for the same stack. I do think a full stack rebuy does offer a slight advantage to the rebuyer at mid tourney stages.

Not a big fan of the idea. I would play, but never rebuy. Just me. The starting stack is worth less BB than the original buy-in anyway. Then to make it cost double would not be my thing.

If someone wants to pay double to get back in, I guess it means more money in the pot but none of it would be mine :)

I agree with several posters that you should run a freeze-out. Maybe have a rebuy game every once and a while. If you're going to lose players because they like rebuys, then you've got a choice to make.

Thanks for the feedback and insights. It's nice to see different angles on this.

I'm gonna keep it a freezout tournament with a knock out chip. Cash game after for those who lose early.

I don't mind the double priced rebuy. I normally play freeze outs only because I'm not a huge fan of rebuys. But if someone is out early, then they can at least have a chance to get back in. If the cost is too high for them, then too bad. For anyone else in the game who hasn't rebought, it bumps up the prize pool. It becomes a deterrent for loose play, but still allows players a chance to get back in if they really want to.

I've tried a very short rebuy window, but then you still get the loose cannons playing sloppy for that time, then totally change their play once the rebuy ends.

We always do unlimited rebuys for the first N number of levels, but you have to be felted in order to rebuy, and it's half the buy-in and you get half a stack.b After, level N it's Freeze out thereafter This does several good things, 1. Gives a buyin to those who haven't had enough. 2. Doesn't give a guy who rebuys any significant advantage, but does give them an uphill grind if they want it... there's still a chance. 3. Grows the overall pot for the prize money. 4. Prevents guys with deep pockets and aggressive players from being asses, and still gives them a shot. It has worked well for my games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom