Rate this line-up - ESST (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the overall design of the set? (0 - awful, 10 - perfect)

Results are only viewable after voting.

PocketAces

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
What you are voting on:
- color progression/combinations
- edge spot progression
- inlay design
How do you rate the overall design of the set?

What you aren't voting on:
- rarity/availability
- condition
- affordability

E26212CB-1A31-478C-90E1-1FB18DBD8D32.jpeg

Photo credit @bentax1978

Same as my vote for the AS tourney. I know I said I prefer and lays a hot stamps but I just like the body and spot colors of the AS slightly better

7 - these are great. If I’m being picky, I don’t care for the 100, 25k, and 100k, but that’s being picky. If not for the unleaded clay and boring inlay, they’d be a 9

Given the background on these chips, they rate very high in my book, a 9, would be a 10 if we would have made a T5

So should mold and material (lead, no lead) be part of the judging process?

If you think the lead content affects the design, yes.

My view is it doesn’t… when I see a comment along the lines of « unleaded chips should never be a 6+ » I figure that’s just a dig against NAGBs and what they represent for some people around here. Would love to avoid that and keep things fair, balanced and focused on the merits of the designs (some NAGBs are really good I think)… but it’s always going to be happening in those polls. Just like people giving a score of 1/10 probably because they can’t stand the person who owns them lol.

7 - these are great. If I’m being picky, I don’t care for the 100, 25k, and 100k, but that’s being picky. If not for the unleaded clay and boring inlay, they’d be a 9

I get the preference for leaded vs unleaded, but is it fair to knock modern sets for being unleaded when that's not even an option that can be ordered anymore?

I get the preference for leaded vs unleaded, but is it fair to knock modern sets for being unleaded when that's not even an option that can be ordered anymore?
Technically speaking, I guess not. But I feel like the more you narrow the parameters, the less realistic you’re being. Personally I can’t separate out some factors (like leaded clay, shaped inlays, textured inlays) because to me, the feel of the chips is at least as important as the colors and side paint.

And FWIW, I’m not the only one doing it. I notice that “mold” doesn’t appear anywhere in the criteria. But don’t tell me these aren’t all getting ranked higher because they’re in the THC mold than they would be if they were on the RHC mold.

Technically speaking, I guess not. But I feel like the more you narrow the parameters, the less realistic you’re being. Personally I can’t separate out some factors (like leaded clay, shaped inlays, textured inlays) because to me, the feel of the chips is at least as important as the colors and side paint.

And FWIW, I’m not the only one doing it. I notice that “mold” doesn’t appear anywhere in the criteria. But don’t tell me these aren’t all getting ranked higher because they’re in the THC mold than they would be if they were on the RHC mold.
I think ranking on mold is fine. Mold has a tangible affect on the design (RHC changing the proportion of the chip, for example).

However, the prompt was to "rate the design of the chip," and I personally believe the material content does not affect design in any way. I do not think leaded/non-leaded "feel" is part of the design of the chip, because prompt additionally states we are not judging on condition of chips. What about leaded chips, but there aren't any more mint ones in existence? Because a mint chip feels different from a used chip, just like a leaded chip feels different from unleaded, but the base design is still there.

It's like if we were judging the design of cars, we aren't rating one higher than another just because it goes faster/more torque/electric/etc, we are judging purely on design and aesthetic.

I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not going to look at an 8 and call it a 10 just because they’re not making 10s any more. Call me a fraud if you want - shrug.

Last edited:
As a tourney set I always thought these were really nice even if they are a copy. Solid 7.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom