Prize Winning Professional, Home, Amateur Cook (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
The only other forum I'm a part of is cookingbites.com Its a small, friendly, family cooking site. They routinely have "fun" challenges. The challenge last month was simply "Moroccan" themed dishes.

I tried my hand at a few dishes and found some really good flavor profiles. One of the dishes I prepared was a "Roasted Whole Cauliflower with Moroccan Spices". WOW......it was fantastic. The site agreed, and my dish won the challenge.

This side is very easy to make. I highly recommend it. I think it would also be great used as a roasted cauliflower tacos.

Ingredients:

1 whole head of cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
4 cloves of fresh garlic, rough chop
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon of Raz el Hanout - Start out with 1/2 tablespoon (recipe for the spice blend is below)
Juice of one freshly-squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon coarse or sea salt
1/2 cup thick Greek yogurt
Lemon slices and fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

Raz el Hanout recipe link http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/ras-el-hanout-moroccan-spice-mix.13265/#post-125659

Instructions:

Cut away the leaves and most of the core (cut stem flush with the bottom of the head to allow it to site steadily), leaving the cauliflower head intact.

In your food processor, add garlic and ginger and grind to a paste. Add the Raz el Hanout Moroccan Spice, salt, and yogurt. Process, adding the lemon juice a little at a time. You want the marinade to be thick enough to adhere to the cauliflower, add yogurt and mix.

Place cauliflower in a large bowl, and spread the prepared marinade on all surfaces. Marinate in refrigerator for several hours.

Pre heat oven to 400.

When ready to bake, place the marinated cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil. Bake approximately 45 to 60 minutes (cooking time will vary according to the size of the cauliflower). After 45 minutes, check the cauliflower with a sharp knife, to make sure it is done. You want it cooked, but still holding together. If you prefer your cauliflower a little crunchy that is OK too.

Raz el Hanout

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom powder ***
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
*** I didn't have any cardamom. I add slightly more cinnamon and nutmeg

Directions
  1. Mix all the spices together.
  2. Store in an airtight container

20180806_132913.jpg
20180806_182811.jpg

The only other forum I'm a part of is cookingbites.com Its a small, friendly, family cooking site. They routinely have "fun" challenges. The challenge last month was simply "Moroccan" themed dishes.

I tried my hand at a few dishes and found some really good flavor profiles. One of the dishes I prepared was a "Roasted Whole Cauliflower with Moroccan Spices". WOW......it was fantastic. The site agreed, and my dish won the challenge.

This side is very easy to make. I highly recommend it. I think it would also be great used as a roasted cauliflower tacos.

Ingredients:

1 whole head of cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
4 cloves of fresh garlic, rough chop
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon of Raz el Hanout - Start out with 1/2 tablespoon (recipe for the spice blend is below)
Juice of one freshly-squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon coarse or sea salt
1/2 cup thick Greek yogurt
Lemon slices and fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)

Raz el Hanout recipe link http://www.cookingbites.com/threads/ras-el-hanout-moroccan-spice-mix.13265/#post-125659

Instructions:

Cut away the leaves and most of the core (cut stem flush with the bottom of the head to allow it to site steadily), leaving the cauliflower head intact.

In your food processor, add garlic and ginger and grind to a paste. Add the Raz el Hanout Moroccan Spice, salt, and yogurt. Process, adding the lemon juice a little at a time. You want the marinade to be thick enough to adhere to the cauliflower, add yogurt and mix.

Place cauliflower in a large bowl, and spread the prepared marinade on all surfaces. Marinate in refrigerator for several hours.

Pre heat oven to 400.

When ready to bake, place the marinated cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil. Bake approximately 45 to 60 minutes (cooking time will vary according to the size of the cauliflower). After 45 minutes, check the cauliflower with a sharp knife, to make sure it is done. You want it cooked, but still holding together. If you prefer your cauliflower a little crunchy that is OK too.

Raz el Hanout

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons turmeric
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cardamom powder ***
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
*** I didn't have any cardamom. I add slightly more cinnamon and nutmeg

Directions
  1. Mix all the spices together.
  2. Store in an airtight container

View attachment 195011View attachment 195012

Congrats with the great result on the challenge budyy.
I have more than a few Moroccan friends and eat often at these friends.

Preparing and eating food is a social happening in their culture....it's a feast when we get invited.
Grace to my parents, I embraced the multicultural mix we have over here. I only see benefits :)

I love Raz el Hanout! I make a crazy delicious lamb dish with it. Soooooo good!
I believe it's called Shakshuka.

Preparing and eating food is a social happening in their culture

Same with in my circles lol.

@Marc Hedrick and his lovely wife came over for the first Moroccan dish that I prepared. Grilled, flattened Moroccan chicken, Roasted Carrots stuffed with garlic slices, and a Saffron Rice Pilaf.

I've always enjoyed cooking. A few years ago I started talking regularly with @Poker Zombie He really helped me gain confidence in cooking with his support, suggestions, ect....There was a period I felt like I was talking to him more than I was with my wife. Hell, @Mrs Poker Zombie might even agree.

About six months go I upped my game even more when I joined this website. I take cooking more serious now, while having a ton of fun. I'm much more willing to take chances, experiment with dishes, ect...

I also recently started cooking Thai dishes. My last dish turned out full of awesomeness!!!

This is what I won

18517-a051d3846d4a79375b538e90903f8c2d.jpg

Congrats on the win buddy!

...now go buy cardamom. Get it whole and grind it yourself if you don't think you will use it a lot. In fact, all my spices are whole now. It's kind of like that basil - fresh basil thing. They might be the same thing on paper, but the fresh... (y) :thumbsup:

Here was my Roasted Carrots, Grilled Moroccan Chicken, and Rice Pilaf. I thought all three were pretty damn good. The flavor of the carrots was explosive.

If anyone wants recipes for this let me know and I will post them up.

B

20180729_175705.jpg
20180729_180643.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom