Serious Margaritas (1 Viewer)

Big Jilm

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
So, as things warm up and the ladies shed layers; we approach my favorite time of year: summer. I love margaritas and grilling carne asada during the summer months. Making fresh guac with pomegranate seeds and my own chips and homemade salsa. However, THIS thread is dedicated to the margarita. I have not come very far in my margarita evolution, but that is why I am starting this thread, to learn from you fine people. I want to make a margarita that blows people's minds. Here is my history with margaritas:

• Early to mid twenties - Straight up bought the premix cuervo (with the tequila already in it) and blended with ice, LOL
  • Late twenties to Late thirties - I came up with a precise way to make an "ok" rita. I bought the Cuervo premix (without the tequila) and stepped up to Patron and Grand Marnier as follows:
    • The "Cadillac Jilm" Margarita

1. Measure 2oz of quality silver tequila (Patron or better) with 5.5-6oz of your favorite margarita mix and pour into a pint glass. Fill close to capacity with ice and then transfer to a shaker.

2. Cut a lime wedge and make a small incision across the lime wedge. Use the lime to wet the rim of the glass. Salt the glass, shake the mixture, then pour the mixture from the shaker into the pint glass.

3. Float one shot of Grand Marnier over the drink and garnish with the lime wedge.
  • Early forties - As I age my attention to detail and quality evolves. No different with my margaritas. I bought a nice Cilio juice press and started making my own mix. I was doing 1:1:1 limes, lemons, and simple syrup. Then I started making them with more lime juice than lemon, but I still felt that my margaritas were not that special. Still using the Patron silver and the grand marnier and basically following the recipe above.
  • Just today I came across the following info which takes the simple syrup out of the equation and hopefully will bring my "Cadillac Jilm" to the next level:
    • MIX (~6oz/pint)
      • Citrus Ratio - makes up ~2/3 of mix
        • Lime - 70%
        • Lemon - 20%
        • Grapefruit, orange, tangerine - 10%
      • Sweetner - makes up ~1/3 of mix
        • Blue agave syrup
    • Liquor (~4oz/pint)
      • Quality silver tequila - ~2-3oz
      • Grand marnier - one shot floated on top
If anyone wants to share their experiences with making quality margaritas or have any tips to making the "perfect" margarita, please post thoughts, ideas, and recipes here!! Muchos Gracias y SALUD!

My margarita recipe:

3 oz gold tequila
1.5 oz Countreau
1 medium lime juiced
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Shake with ice and serve on the rocks

For the best Margarita use Grand Marnier in place of triple sec or Cointreau. I was a bartender when I was 18. Wow that was a few years ago. We used to use Cuervo Gold and Grand Marnier a little bit of roses lime and your favorite lime mixer and you have a great "top Shelf" Margarita.

HOLY CRAP.

just made the one I last listed:
  • MIX (~5oz/pint)
    • Citrus Ratio - makes up ~2/3 of mix
      • Lime - 70%
      • Lemon - 20%
      • Grapefruit, orange, tangerine - 10% -- Tangerine>Orange>Grapefruit
    • Sweetener - makes up ~1/3 of mix
      • Blue agave syrup ---> HUGE difference
  • Liquor (~3oz/pint)
    • Patron silver tequila - ~2oz
    • Grand marnier - one shot floated on top
WINNER!!!!

5oz mix and 3 oz liquor per 16oz pint? What occupies the other 8oz?

This:

ice-cube-57.jpeg

It's crazy as fuck.

My favorite Margarita recipe so far is from The Violet Hour in Chicago.
Crisp, bright and refreshing.

2.00 oz. silver Tequila (Milagro works great here)
0.75 oz. Cointreau
0.75 oz. Lime juice (fresh squeezed)
0.25 oz. Simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water)

Shake hard with ice
Strain into a glass with salted rim

Lime wheel garnish

Archer would be pissed that there is simple syrup in this Margarita but at least no "sour mix".

Access to fresh limes is not always possible. Alaska is great but for sure has some draw backs.

To Blow People's Minds try this one

Champagne Margarita (Rick Bayless)

0.75 oz silver Tequila
0.75 oz Cointreau
0.75 oz Lime Juice

Shake hard with ice in mixing glass
Strain into a chilled glass( Champagne flute works to help the ladies shed extra layers)

Top with about 2.00 oz of Champagne ( I use Spanish Cava for this drink)
Lime wheel garnish

My margarita is evolving quickly. I am now making crystal clear ice by freezing it using the "top to bottom method". I start by boiling my filtered water. I let it cool, then place a silicone ice tray in a small cooler. Fill the ice tray with the good water, then fill the cooler to near the top of the ice tray. Wait 24 hr and take the cooler out of the freezer. Let it sit 10 minutes then start chipping away to free the tray. You will have pure, dense (slow melting), crystal clear ice. Here is my current (ever evolving) margarita recipe:

El Cadillac Diego

Calidad + Detalle + Precisión = Excelencia

Every ingredient that goes into your cocktail affects the flavor.

· Ingredients in One Pint Glass (16oz)

o 5oz "The Mix"

o 2oz Quality Tequila (Usually Blanco or Reposado)

o One Shot Grand Marnier (float on top)

o "The Ice"

· Procedure

1. Cut a lime wedge and make an incision across the wedge in the middle of the lime. Set aside.

2. Measure "The Mix" and the Tequila and pour into a pint glass.

3. Add "The Ice" to the glass leaving about a 1/2" space from the top and pour into metal shaker.

4. If you want salt: Wet 1/4 to 1/2 of the outside brim of the glass with the exposed lime from the incision and LIGHTLY salt the glass. There should be NO salt on the inside of the glass. Prevent it from getting into your drink.

5. Shake the mixture in the shaker and transfer to the pint glass.

6. Float one shot of Grand Marnier on top.

7. Garnish with your lime wedge and enjoy.

· THE MIX - Fresh Squeezed Citrus = 80% and Sweetener = 20% of Total Desired Mix Volume. (ie. at least 20oz of mix to make 4 margaritas)

o Citrus Ratio

• 70% Lime

• 20% Lemon

• 5% Tangerine

• 3% Ruby Grapefruit

• 2% Valencia Orange

o Sweetener

• Blue Agave Syrup

· TEQUILA

o Blanco (Silver/White)

• Purest form of tequila, usually unaged. Some blancos are aged up to 2 months to create a smoother spirit.

· 4 Copas, Agave Dos Mil, Azunia, Don Valente, and Los Abuelos are some top rated blancos.

o Reposado (rested/aged)

• Aged 2 to 11 months in wood barrels (American or French Oak). The tequila takes on a golden hue and has a balance between Agave and wood flavors.

· Agave Dos Mil, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, and Don Valente are some top rated Reposados.

o Añejos (extra aged)

• Aged at least 1 year, but not more than 3. This aging process darkens the Tequila to an Amber color, and the flavor can become smoother, richer, and more complex.

· 4 Copas, Riazul, Don Pilar, Casa Noble, Dulce Vida, Corrido, and Peligroso are some top rated Añejos.

o Extra Añejos (ultra aged)

• Aged >3 years. Tequila becomes much darker, more of a Mahogany color, and very rich. After the aging process, the alcohol content must be diluted by adding distilled water. Extra Añejo’s are extremely smooth and complex.

· "The Ice"

o You do not want cloudy, tiny, soft ice cubes in your drink. You want crystal clear, dense, slow melting larger ice cubes (~1.5" cubes). They will not diminish flavor and will not water down your drink as quickly.

• Boil distilled, reverse osmosis, or filtered water. After some cooling, pour into a silicone tray, place inside a small cooler, and add water to the cooler outside of the tray but do not exceed the height of the tray. Cover tray with plastic wrap to prevent contamination and "freezer odor". Place in clean freezer for 24hr. The Ice will freeze from top to bottom creating crystal clear pure ice. Always use fresh ice, never old ice. Ice Cube is crazy as fuck. Vanilla Ice is a douche. Throw thermal nuclear pod at the Ice Wizard to win the game.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom