Portlander on the downward Poker chip spiral (1 Viewer)

JamesWebbTelescope

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I have been playing with less than-optimal poker chips for a long while now (5+ years) that I picked up from a random target oh so long ago, and have decided that it's time to do the deep dive into getting a set that I'm proud of. After lurking for a couple of days I think I've decided that my dream set is the Matsui Zen set I've seen posted around, but I don't think I'll be getting my hands on that any time soon.

I've been hosting a cash game (¢50/$1), with rebuys and up to about 9 people, so our 400 chip count has been getting sparse at times and we'd like to have a bit more wiggle room with our chips. I wouldn't mind having a few plaques in there as well to give people the satisfaction of big dicking the table every once in a while.

Would love any recommendations that people may have on looking for sample chips, sizing of chip count for our game, or just a hello.
Figuring we'd want at least 600 chips, I've been fond of non-denom chips but have seen the qualms about them on the forum so I'm a bit more cautious of those now as well. Not sure on the ceramic vs clay front as well so thinking I'll want to sample both probably.

Excited to be a part of the community!

I have been playing with less than-optimal poker chips for a long while now (5+ years) that I picked up from a random target oh so long ago, and have decided that it's time to do the deep dive into getting a set that I'm proud of. After lurking for a couple of days I think I've decided that my dream set is the Matsui Zen set I've seen posted around, but I don't think I'll be getting my hands on that any time soon.

I've been hosting a cash game (¢50/$1), with rebuys and up to about 9 people, so our 400 chip count has been getting sparse at times and we'd like to have a bit more wiggle room with our chips. I wouldn't mind having a few plaques in there as well to give people the satisfaction of big dicking the table every once in a while.

Would love any recommendations that people may have on looking for sample chips, sizing of chip count for our game, or just a hello.
Figuring we'd want at least 600 chips, I've been fond of non-denom chips but have seen the qualms about them on the forum so I'm a bit more cautious of those now as well. Not sure on the ceramic vs clay front as well so thinking I'll want to sample both probably.

Excited to be a part of the community!

Welcome to the downward spiral, hold onto your wallet!

If your budget is under $1/chip or you need chips right away, I'd look at Apache for china clay, BR Pro Poker for one type of ceramics, and Broken Arrow or Apache for the other type of ceramics (commonly known as "cards mold").

If you can wait for the right deal in the classifieds and you have a bit more budget, you can look at compression clay like CPC (custom available) or Paulson, and you can look at plastic like Abbiati or Matsui (the group buy is showing signs of life).

More details in the handy new members' guide by @Machine

Hello and welcome to PCF! This is how it begins. I have played with the Zens and they are fantastic!

PXL_20230519_004348543.jpg

Welcome. Nice username! Are you a space nerd?
I've always said that I wish I was born in the era when we were becoming space explorers, so you could say that. I've always just wanted to have my own ship and float around the galaxy

Welcome to the downward spiral, hold onto your wallet!

If your budget is under $1/chip or you need chips right away, I'd look at Apache for china clay, BR Pro Poker for one type of ceramics, and Broken Arrow or Apache for the other type of ceramics (commonly known as "cards mold").

If you can wait for the right deal in the classifieds and you have a bit more budget, you can look at compression clay like CPC (custom available) or Paulson, and you can look at plastic like Abbiati or Matsui (the group buy is showing signs of life).

More details in the handy new members' guide by @Machine
I've loved all of the new members' guides that are floating around on the forum, its been very helpful to me and ahs made me feel very welcome. These are lots of great options, thanks for the info!

You can use Non-denom for your fracs ( denomination below $1)

100 x ND
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

is pretty much the recommended breakdown for 50/$1 stake home game.
I like this idea a lot, doesn't have to be one way or another! This would have pretty good coverage for our game as well, and should be able to find a set without breaking the bank too badly :). Sadly I'm about to get a nice bonus, so my sense of budget is only slightly going out the window at the moment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom