Poker Pro Folds Quads at WSOP Main Event (1 Viewer)

How Do You Feel About This Fold?

• Lolwut? Awful fold!

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Amazeballs fold, what a Hero!

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/20619-poker-pro-folds-quads-to-all-in-bet-in-main-event

Recent bracelet winner Kyle Bowker was playing the World Series of Poker main event on Wednesday and found himself involved in a pot where he had turned quads and was betting for value on the river. Bowker’s opponent then moved all in.

Bowker was ready to insta-call, but he paused and realized that exactly one straight flush combination was a likely holding for his opponent. The board read K
spade.gif
spade.gif
7x 7x J
spade.gif

According to Bowker, he opened with pocket sevens from early position and everything that happened next made a straight flush a very real possibility.

“The next player flatted; the kid who I ended up folding to flatted,” Bowker told Card Player. “The big blind flatted. The flop came K
spade.gif
spade.gif
7. I bet 5,000. Fold. Kid in the middle calls. The big blind folds. The turn was another seven.”

Bowker decided not to slow-play his quads. He bet 11,000. The bet was called.

The dealer burned and put the J
spade.gif
on the felt.

“I bet 40,000,” Bowker said, “which was pot because I felt like he had the nut flush draw and got there on the river. And then he moved all in for 98,000 in total.”

Despite getting a great price on the call, which wasn’t even for his tournament life, Bowker went into the tank. Every summer there are waves of criticism about tanking in tournaments, but sometimes thinking about a hand for what feels like an eternity to other players is justified.

“I was just going to put the money in, but I sat back and thought about it,” Bowker said. “I was quite sure he liked the river card, and he was a three-bettor, so he would have three-bet me preflop if he had kings and he probably would have three-bet me preflop if he had jacks. So, like nines was one of the hands, but I was very sure he wasn’t made on the flop or the turn and he liked the river card. So now it’s pocket jacks or Q
spade.gif
spade.gif
, and I just really felt like he would have either three-bet preflop with jacks or not have gotten to the river with jacks. There was a zero-percent chance he was bluffing, so I thought it was really likely that it was the Q-10 of spades.”

Asked about the seven minutes he spent in the tank, Bowker said it was “way the most time I’ve ever taken for a poker hand.” The clock ended up being called on him.

“While I was thinking about it I was thinking that I was crazy, like ‘What am I doing in the tank for seven minutes with quads,’ but when it can only be a few hands: kings, jacks, nines, Q
spade.gif
spade.gif
, and I can rule out some of those hands almost for sure, it just became a fold in my head.”

Bowker exposed the sevens when folding, and his opponent didn’t show. The tabled responded in utter disbelief, according to Bowker. “They didn’t think it was real.”

“He told me later that he had it,” Bowker said. “But he said he would have also shoved nines full on the river. But you never know for sure. He could have been lying to me.”

Bowker agreed with the notion that if his opponent didn’t have the straight flush he likely would have tabled a hand that inexplicably bluffed quads.

“I felt like when I showed my hand I could see on his face that he was disgusted,” Bowker said. “I felt really confident that I was making the right fold anyway, and that just kind of confirmed it more.”

When asked about the price he was getting on making the call, Bowker said that in a cash game or a tournament that’s not the WSOP main event he likely would have found a call.

“I was getting an amazing price. You have to be over 95-percent sure to make the fold. But I was. I am playing with more confidence than normal because I just won [a bracelet]. I wouldn’t call myself a big hero folder in general, and I probably wouldn’t have made the fold in any other tournament or cash game, even if I thought he had the Q
spade.gif
spade.gif
. I would be like, ’If you have the Q
spade.gif
spade.gif
you got me. In this tournament, and being that sure, I thought I could make the fold.”

Bowker ended up surviving to day 3 of the tournament with 132,200 in chips, which was slightly below average with more than 2,000 players remaining.

Bowker’s hand is similar to the time Russian poker player Mikhail Smirnov folded quad eights in the 2012 $1 million buy-in at the WSOP. Smirnov also put his opponent on a straight flush in spades, and to this day it appears to have been the correct lay down.

For me this is a terrible fold. The guy has SO much more in his potential range here than just the one hand that beats Kyle's quads. There are plenty of full house combos or even flushes or straights this guy could think are good against Kyle, if he's assuming Kyle has an AK type hand.

And then he frigging SHOWS he laid down quads, which only invites further exploitation in future hands, lol.

For me this is a terrible fold. The guy has SO much more in his potential range here than just the one hand that beats Kyle's quads. There are plenty of full house combos or even flushes or straights this guy could think are good against Kyle, if he's assuming Kyle has an AK type hand.

There's not really a discussion to be had. This is never a good fold no matter what read you have or any other factors. You're losing to exactly 1 combo and winning against every other value combo. He literally has to have no full houses/nut flushes in his jam range for this to be a fold which is obviously never ever ever ever ever true for any player ever.

And then he frigging SHOWS he laid down quads, which only invites further exploitation in future hands, lol.

Everyone always says this, but that's not necessarily the case. For a player to get exploited in similar situations like this would be very rare IMO. There's a lot of things that have to happen.
1) Villains would have to to know how to exploit hero which is a lot rarer than it sounds
2) Similar situations would have to come up
3) Hero would have to be dumb enough to not adjust his play after this occurred

Last edited:
Yeah, what you said. Even if he's right it's terrible (unless he saw the dude's cards).

That is one giant-sized monster under the bed. Terrible, terrible fold -- even if the guy had shown QsTs for the straight flush, it's STILL a terrible fold.

Gotta remember that he could be lying or withholding information in his public comments too. It's possible he got a tell from his opponent he didn't like but he doesn't want to let on.

Otherwise this makes no sense to me.

Maybe a "Pro" but showing a fold like that is a mistake unless he has a meta game plan to capitalize on the image that comes from folding the second nut hand..

I'm a donkey sometimes, but no way I could fold this. Especially since it wasn't for his T life. Even 10k cash I'm not folding. Maybe I would fold on the bubble for a million dollars

None of you are considering the long game: Poker pros come and go. They are a dime a dozen. But no one is going to forget this play--he is now going to be forever known for an "epic" laydown, right or wrong.

He should have called. If his opponent had the straight flush, at least Kyle would win the bad beat jackpot! :whistle: :whistling:

I read the Card Player article and you can see he narrowed down the guys range to possibly 3 hands.

I like his fold.

I've had that feeling when i had Ace flush on the river with a possible str8 flush on the board and tight villain instant re raises me. I knew he had the str8 flush immediately but i called anyway. Next time i'll fold. Worst feeling in poker for me.

I read the Card Player article and you can see he narrowed down the guys range to possibly 3 hands.

I like his fold.

I've had that feeling when i had Ace flush on the river with a possible str8 flush on the board and tight villain instant re raises me. I knew he had the str8 flush immediately but i called anyway. Next time i'll fold. Worst feeling in poker for me.

I've had the opposite experience: having the straight flush and the other guy with the nut flush. Except it wasn't that he couldn't fold. He was absolutely demolished drunk and literally didn't see the straight flush on the board.

To make it even more painful, it was limit hold 'em. We got in 36 bets on the river in a $4/8 LHE game. 36 bets. The entire table was ridiculing this guy as he continued to put in raises. People came over from other tables. He actually said out loud at one point, "I have the nuts - how is he raising me?"

I've had the opposite experience: having the straight flush and the other guy with the nut flush. Except it wasn't that he couldn't fold. He was absolutely demolished drunk and literally didn't see the straight flush on the board.

To make it even more painful, it was limit hold 'em. We got in 36 bets on the river in a $4/8 LHE game. 36 bets. The entire table was ridiculing this guy as he continued to put in raises. People came over from other tables. He actually said out loud at one point, "I have the nuts - how is he raising me?"

Amazing. And his reaction once you tabled your hand?

Amazing. And his reaction once you tabled your hand?

I feared a blow up and possibly an ejection, but he just looked at my hand and the board doing a double, triple, quadruple take and then rebought for another rack.

This happened to my friend NewFrankshire at Foxwoods in a limit Holdem game. He flopped bottom quads against top boat (aces full). They got in 10-15 bets before frank asked the guy if he wanted to just get it all in, then he realized he was beat and just called the last bet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom