Poker Practice with my 7yo (1 Viewer)

Blind Joe

Two Pair
Reaction score
First time posting in this section, though I do read the threads from time to time. Hoping I might get a bit of feed back for both me and my youngest son as I attempt to continue his recent introduction to poker.

So, here's "Poker Practice" with my 7 year old. £20 buy in cash game (pretend money), 5p/10p blinds. I play/simulate 5 stacks while he plays his one to try and give him a more realistic table experience.

My main aim right now is to continue to drill him on folding discipline, coach him on bet sizes and post-flop play and presentation (at this time specifically with respect to aggression in so far as playing against more players means more chance of losing even with a good hand, so getting players to fold is generally a good thing). NB: I'm a fish in your world but I'm all he's got and it's fun, so all comments are welcome to help both me and him.

We are about 45 minutes in and he's showing some frustration at how many hands he's had to fold — "change the deck dad," he says, "this one isn't giving me any hands!" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I try to get him to look at the positive aspect of that and compliment him on his folding discipline, pointing out that (1) it's better to fold than to play hands he shouldn't because he'll only lose in the long run and (2) he'll be due a hand sooner or later. We coin the phrase "Patience Wins Pots"

Next hand:

He (I'll refer to him as Villain as tradition dictates) is in the SB position.

Preflop:
UTG folds
UTG+1 (5h5c) raises to 3BB (30p)
Cut-off (JhJc) re-raises to 90p
Dealer folds
Villain calls
BB (JQs) calls
UTG+1 calls

Pot = £3.60

Flop: 9s 5d Jd

Villain bets £2.00
BB pairs his J and calls with an eye on folding a poor turn
UTG+1 flops a set (555) and calls, though is conscious of the diamonds flush draw
Cut off does likewise with JJJ

Pot = £11.60

Turn: 3d

Villain bets £10

—I'll chip in with my thoughts here considering I'm playing/simulating the other 3 hands: aware of Villain's frustration at a long run of poor hands I did wonder if he was bluffing from semi decent hole cards, considering the bet size it's possible he was trying to trim the field or steal the pot outright. As a young starter he is generally TAG but can switch to LAG as quickly as the sun can change to rain here in the North of England, much to my frustration (though that said it does make him hard to read).

BB (JQs) thinks and folds
UTG+1 (555) calls, but despite suspecting a bluff feels the grim reaper of the flush standing over his shoulder
Cut-off (JJJ) does likewise

Pot = £41.60

River: 7d

Villain goes all in with around £20, making the pot just over £60. He has the others covered but only just.

With a 4th diamond in play and no pairing of the board, how would you play either set? Would you have got this far or folded before now?

Without knowing Villain's cards at this point but knowing he's generally TAG but prone to moments of LAG (either through tilt or hubris) what would you do or have done differently?

I'll post more info after some replies :tup:

Set of 5s on flop I would raise. Set of Js on flop I would reraise.

As played, 4 diamonds out on the river, I'm folding my sets to the all-in.

Does your son know about the term, "The Absolute Nuts"? Just feel like he would get a good laugh out of that.

Edit: Now that I think about it, he would probably love scrotum too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Having flat called both the flop and the turn both sets felt heavily invested and, faced with punting just under £20 into a £60—80 pot, both called the all-in :oops: Told you I was a fish, apparently even to my 7yo :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The consensus here is that they should have been raising / re-raising and I can see why, though I'd appreciate some insight into what you would have raised to and at what point / how you would have gotten out of the hand if you'd played it like that.

Villain turned over ATd so had a flush draw on the flop which he gave a standard c-bet and the nuts flush on the turn when he went big.

I wonder how he would have reacted to being raised and re-raised by the sets on the flop. While I'm telling him to make bet sizes that put his opponents under pressure when making their decisions I totally failed to do that to him didn't I? :banghead:

There are plenty of 21 year olds that are never folding the nut flush draw on the flop. A seven year old isn't either.

But I agree with the other posters, both sets should be looking to get it all in on the flop with a two flush out there and 5- way action.

I don't hate the way the seven year old villian played this, and I wouldn't hate if he decided to draw for it either.

At the river 3-Jacks guy has a touch decision, but I think can fold since he can get to this river with flushes himself, 3-fives guy has an easy lay down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom