Poker Chips in Movies – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (4 Viewers)

Does anyone else see stuff on tv snd think oooo that would be a cool looking $1 chip or $25 chip ?

View attachment 1051065
YES, this comes to mind :)

30908.jpg

"Win It All" the Netflix movie, my gosh. Good actors and parts of it were very effective examples of a gambling addiction....but the ending is absolutely horribly. Anyways, chips are nothing special and they're playing for 5 figures at a $150 table in a closet space.

Spoiler ahead.

Gosh, to have him play like an idiot, drink like an idiot, and somehow win is just silly. Yes, he was playing at some high roller loose crazy donk game, but I can't imagine the one phone conversation was enough to sober him up and all of a sudden he's decent? Cmon now.

And his Gambling Addict Anonymous sponsor is the one that hooks him up into the game?! This movie is a nightmare for someone grappling with addiction, wow, the "hero" decides to face his demons and win at poker cause he wants to have dinner with a kid. Goddamn.

The Elvis movie. Ugh. Like seriously, fuck right off. You’re making the biggest movie aver made about one of the biggest stars in history, who was inseparably connected to Vegas, and this is the shit you try to get away with? Thanks, assfaces.

58025E17-4324-4A58-BBBF-6383708960BF.jpeg

The Elvis movie. Ugh. Like seriously, fuck right off. You’re making the biggest movie aver made about one of the biggest stars in history, who was inseparably connected to Vegas, and this is the shit you try to get away with? Thanks, assfaces.
Jesus Christ dude... what's next? You're going to insist movie studios use real blood instead of corn syrup in their slasher films? LOL hahaha

I didn't know Costello was connected to Vegas?

Jesus Christ dude... what's next? You're going to insist movie studios use real blood instead of corn syrup in their slasher films? LOL hahaha
Yes. I recently rewatched Burt Reynolds’ movie White Lightning and I was appalled at how bright red the blood was. It was practically General Lee orange! Not realistic!!

Air

Dunes had a lot of chips over the years but I don’t think any were plastic!

497BBF00-75D4-4AD5-9177-CE85963B412C.jpeg

I like these from Maverick:

View attachment 158232

Don't know what they are, but seems like they specifically made these for the movie and didn't just grab something off the prop room shelf.

Here is another shot of the chips at the final table in Maverick, showing other colors and a better view of the mold and inlay. The reds are denominated "50" but the yellows are not denominated. Unclear if blue is denominated.
1694834951456.png

There appear to be 3 colors: yellow, red, blue, at the final table:
1694835139376.png

Hard to tell, but it looks like earlier in tournament (when there are still multiple tables) I think there is a white as well. So maybe one color up? According to wikipedia buy-in was $25k.
1694836454362.png

Earlier in the movie, he plays a cash game and they are using red, white, blue (classic plain paranoids or bakelites) plus what look like bullion in gold (triangles) and silver (octagons and squares). Here is a clear shot:
1694836678023.png

Attachments

• 1694835510329.png
    1694835510329.png
    306.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 1694836630096.png
    1694836630096.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 33
Earlier in the movie, he plays a cash game and they are using red, white, blue (classic plain paranoids or bakelites) plus what look like bullion in gold (triangles) and silver (octagons and squares). Here is a clear shot:
View attachment 1195989
Zooming in on this photo, the far left octagon, it reads "Crystal Palace" and "$1". So maybe these are tokens and not bullion?

Not a movie, but I’ve been binge watching Suits on Netflix. Season 2, episode six titled ‘all in”.

1 of 2 poker scenes in the episode. Screenshot taken from the inter webs.

View attachment 1200131
I'm watching this one with my wife too. There is another poker scene we just watched end of season 3. I'm guessing same chips.

Here is another shot of the chips at the final table in Maverick, showing other colors and a better view of the mold and inlay. The reds are denominated "50" but the yellows are not denominated. Unclear if blue is denominated.
View attachment 1195972

There appear to be 3 colors: yellow, red, blue, at the final table:
View attachment 1195978

Hard to tell, but it looks like earlier in tournament (when there are still multiple tables) I think there is a white as well. So maybe one color up? According to wikipedia buy-in was $25k.
View attachment 1195986

View attachment 1195989
Watched a couple more clips of Maverick this morning. In these shots you can see:

Whites = 10
Reds = 50
Blues = 250.
Yellow = non denom but is used as 1000 at the final table. On the last hand, Commodore bets with 5000 and puts in 5 yellow chips.

Tournament appears start with 4 tables of 5 players. There is a one hour break, when I presume they color up the whites. The buy-in is $25k and with 20 entrants the pool is $500k - winner takes all. At the final table there is way more than 500k in chips present. So, if the chips are supposed to reflect cash value, the props team screwed up. Or, since this is a tournament and the chips don't have a currency symbol, I think we can assume the chips equal points. They are playing 5 card draw. Not my game. Anyone know what a starting stack for a 5 card draw tournament would look like?

1695563378544.png

1695562734926.png

Watched a couple more clips of Maverick this morning. In these shots you can see:

Whites = 10
Reds = 50
Blues = 250.
Yellow = non denom but is used as 1000 at the final table. On the last hand, Commodore bets with 5000 and puts in 5 yellow chips.

Tournament appears start with 4 tables of 5 players. There is a one hour break, when I presume they color up the whites. The buy-in is $25k and with 20 entrants the pool is $500k - winner takes all. At the final table there is way more than 500k in chips present. So, if the chips are supposed to reflect cash value, the props team screwed up. Or, since this is a tournament and the chips don't have a currency symbol, I think we can assume the chips equal points. They are playing 5 card draw. Not my game. Anyone know what a starting stack for a 5 card draw tournament would look like?

View attachment 1200304
View attachment 1200289
I'm not a fan of the slow roll. The movie Maverick tought me this many years ago. That being said I've never had quad 8's but when I do I can't wait to quote the Commodore: "I have 2 small pair. Eights & Eights."

I'm not a fan of the slow roll. The movie Maverick tought me this many years ago. That being said I've never had quad 8's but when I do I can't wait to quote the Commodore: "I have 2 small pair. Eights & Eights."
This movie is rife with not just bad etiquette but ridiculous hands. Quads all over the place. Royal flushes. No one seems to win with anything less than a straight. But there is also cheating all over the place too, so maybe the real contest is to see who is the best cheat.

In the final hand the dealer is in league with Angel. He deals from the bottom cooler quads to Commodore and what I assume to Maverick with what I assume would have been a failed royal flush if the bottom card had been dealt to him. But what if after the dealer was also colluding with Maverick? And Maverick arranged to place the ace of spades on top. Then, when he publicly asks Angel to deal him the top card, Maverick does not need to look at it because he already knows what it is. Everyone had to know those three hands were almost statically impossible, so maybe others (including the Sheriff) were in on one of the cons.

That is the only way the last hand makes sense and in fact, it works well for the story. Maverick won the tournament because he was cheating all along, but just better at it than the others. The rest of his persona is just grandstanding.

This movie is rife with not just bad etiquette but ridiculous hands. Quads all over the place. Royal flushes. No one seems to win with anything less than a straight. But there is also cheating all over the place too, so maybe the real contest is to see who is the best cheat.

In the final hand the dealer is in league with Angel. He deals from the bottom cooler quads to Commodore and what I assume to Maverick with what I assume would have been a failed royal flush if the bottom card had been dealt to him. But what if after the dealer was also colluding with Maverick? And Maverick arranged to place the ace of spades on top. Then, when he publicly asks Angel to deal him the top card, Maverick does not need to look at it because he already knows what it is. Everyone had to know those three hands were almost statically impossible, so maybe others (including the Sheriff) were in on one of the cons.

That is the only way the last hand makes sense and in fact, it works well for the story. Maverick won the tournament because he was cheating all along, but just better at it than the others. The rest of his persona is just grandstanding.
Mel Gibson would NEVER cheat. Get drunk & make antisemitic/sexist comments possibly...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom