Poker Chip Forum Auctions (2 Viewers)

I love all of your total absolutes. :D Guaranteed, for certain, fact of the matter, ad nauseam -- they're all just your opinion, bro.

If you have data to back any of it up as actual fact, I'd love to see it.

It's not just an opinion. It necessarily follows your statement. One doesn't need to think too deeply about the problem to arrive at that conclusion. There are currently 6,585 members on PCF. There are probably fewer than 200 members with 1000 posts or more. If everyone without 1000+ posts couldn't buy or sell here, then what do you think happens to their chips when they decide to sell them? They'd go to eBay. Almost all of them. So what does that leave PCF with? Several dozen active members looking for chips that are no longer here. It's not rocket science. And it's not hubris either. This is a straight-forward inevitable consequence of your proposal. I had a similar argument with @kk405 numerous times over at CD, and here as well. He kept trying to say auctions should be banned entirely. I said that was a stupid idea because it just ensures that more chips find their way over to eBay. And people with low post counts aren't going to stick around here if they can't buy or sell. They'll just do all of their buying and selling on eBay instead. Same with TheChipRoom. If people needed 1000+ posts to buy, where do you think he's going to sell his chips? Not here.

And what do you think would happen to the sets like Palais des Congres, Empress, Horseshoe Cleveland, etc. when all those people with 1000+ chip counts decide they want to sell them because the next big NAGB comes along and they all want to fund their next investment purchase? There wouldn't be enough people to sell to, because the interested parties can't buy them since they don't have 1000 posts. So even the select "insiders" group with their 1000+ posts end up listing their chips on eBay as well. It would just create a mass exodus of chips.

Or maybe they stick around and participate so that they CAN buy/sell. What you claim to be undeniable truth is just an opinion.

It mostly depends on how one views the forum. Your approach is pretty clear.

It's not just an opinion. It necessarily follows your statement. One doesn't need to think too deeply about the problem to arrive at that conclusion. There are currently 6,585 members on PCF. There are probably fewer than 200 members with 1000 posts or more. If everyone without 1000+ posts couldn't buy or sell here, then what do you think happens to their chips when they decide to sell them? They'd go to eBay. Almost all of them. So what does that leave PCF with? Several dozen active members looking for chips that are no longer here. It's not rocket science. And it's not hubris either. This is a straight-forward inevitable consequence of your proposal. I had a similar argument with @kk405 numerous times over at CD, and here as well. He kept trying to say auctions should be banned entirely. I said that was a stupid idea because it just ensures that more chips find their way over to eBay. And people with low post counts aren't going to stick around here if they can't buy or sell. They'll just do all of their buying and selling on eBay instead. Same with TheChipRoom. If people needed 1000+ posts to buy, where do you think he's going to sell his chips? Not here.

Even though I participated in several big auction early on, I am not in favor of them. And there is nothing wrong with selling your chips on a real auction site like eBay. That's where auctions belong. We used to have raffles and they were borderline 'illegal'...glad it's no longer an option. Same should be for auctions, IMO.

Perhaps the only auction allowed should be for raising money for charity, but even that's not really necessary.

Travis, let's agree to disagree...but again, you are never wrong about any of your opinions which you always claim are facts. And yes, I do think auctions on PCF are stupid...

I just sold a rack of highly sought after chips at my cost. It would have sold for three times as much if I sold it per barrel via auction. To each their own. I won't change my way of selling, and I am sure you won't either.

And this is for all sellers: Be DECENT to PCF members, don't try to maximize your benefits by selling overpriced sets or price-gouge new (and old) members. Don't pump and dump. And finally, do your homework, grow a pair, and post a WTS ad. Chip Karma does exist. And reverse chip Karma does as well.

Back to zen-mode

Or maybe they stick around and participate so that they CAN buy/sell. What you claim to be undeniable truth is just an opinion.

It mostly depends on how one views the forum. Your approach is pretty clear.

Yep, you've nailed it. Thousands of otherwise inactive members are just all going to suddenly start spending countless hours of their time talking about hot dog rollers, NAGBs, inlay replacements, and mail pr0n just so that they can sell their chips to the dozens of eligible members here who mostly don't want them. "To hell with eBay!" they'll say. "I could just EARN my right to sell on PCF instead!" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

You will argue with anything, I swear. This isn't even a debatable topic. It's a straight line. A causes B. It's absolutely irrefutable. This will happen. 100%. It would happen. I'm sorry if you can't see it. I can't help you.

Even though I participated in several big auction early on, I am not in favor of them. And there is nothing wrong with selling your chips on a real auction site like eBay. That's where auctions belong. We used to have raffles and they were borderline 'illegal'...glad it's no longer an option. Same should be for auctions, IMO.

Perhaps the only auction allowed should be for raising money for charity, but even that's not really necessary.

Travis, let's agree to disagree...but again, you are never wrong about any of your opinions which you always claim are facts. And yes, I do think auctions on PCF are stupid...

I just sold a rack of highly sought after chips at my cost. It would have sold for three times as much if I sold it per barrel via auction. To each their own. I won't change my way of selling, and I am sure you won't either.

And this is for all sellers: Be DECENT to PCF members, don't try to maximize your benefits by selling overpriced sets or price-gouge new (and old) members. Don't pump and dump. And finally, do your homework, grow a pair, and post a WTS ad. Chip Karma does exist. And reverse chip Karma does as well.

Back to zen-mode

I'm inclined to agree with Ken here, mostly. As someone who lives abroad and is thus typically asleep when most "For Sale" threads hit the Classifieds, I'm not a huge fan of "dibs" and thus auctions present at least an opportunity for me to acquire certain chips. As it is, most of the highly sought-after chips are long gone by the time us Euro chippers wake up. It's perhaps a selfish take, I'll admit, but hopefully an understandable one.

All that said, I've been able to track down a lot of chips through PM and the good nature of fellow PCFers who knew I was after certain items and pointed me in the right direction.

At the end of the day, there's no magic bullet solution for all our problems - someone is going to be unhappy no matter how it's organized.

Back to zen-mode

There's nothing wrong with your viewpoint against auctions. A lot of people dislike them. Primarily because they see them as price gouging tools. My argument isn't that you are wrong to hold those viewpoints. My argument is that if we do away with auctions, you won't get the outcome you desire (lower chip prices overall and less flipping). Rather, the chips will just leave the community. They will just go to eBay instead. I don't think anyone can argue against this claim without being disingenuous.

Travis, it's not like eBay doesn't allow pcf members to bid.... so the chips are not 'leaving the community', unless nobody from here wants them badly enough.

And if all a pcf 'member' is doing is selling chips here -- and not participating -- then those chips aren't really in the community anyway, in any true sense of the word.

There are currently 6,585 members on PCF. There are probably fewer than 200 members with 1000 posts or more.
@Tommy -- do you have a breakdown of current membership by post coun/title, active in the past 6 months? I'd guess the total will be far smaller than 6k, and those with four-digit post counts in even that smaller group will be greater than 200.

And 1,000 is no magic number, in any case. The point is to weed out those that 'use' the forum and it's membership for personal gain without contributing anything in return.

@Tommy
The point is to weed out those that 'use' the forum and it's membership for personal gain without contributing anything in return.

I'm exercising restrain (as @kk405 would call, zen-mode) to avoid not getting dragged into the discussion but: wouldn't offering chips for sale to the community be a contribution, Dave?

wouldn't offering chips for sale to the community be a contribution?
I think it's a debatable issue, if that is their only 'contribution' to the forum. We have a vendor forum for marketplace sellers, the members of which contribute to and support PCF financially.

Pretty sure that there have been members in the past who only posted WTS ads in the classifieds, and nothing else, and were asked to become vendors or lose their classifieds privileges..... so I don't think that selling chips is or should be necessarily viewed as a contribution as a standalone action, without considering it in context of other contributions.

I think it's a debatable issue, if that is their only 'contribution' to the forum. We have a vendor forum for marketplace sellers, the members of which contribute to and support PCF financially.

Pretty sure that there have been members in the past who only posted WTS ads in the classifieds, and nothing else, and were asked to become vendors or lose their classifieds privileges..... so I don't think that selling chips is or should be necessarily viewed as a contribution as a standalone action, without considering it in context of other contributions.

I understand what you're saying but I think we can differentiate a vendor from someone selling a set or two. The vendor status is not related to the level of participation as we have examples of vendors who participate a lot in discussions. One thing has nothing to do with the other imo.

My point is, and I really do not want to go too deep into this rabbit hole: some people, maybe not you, rather have sets and chips made available to them (to all, really) than having deals made only behind the scene, in which case the chips would be only held by a select few. It is each person's decision to make if the price offered suits them or not. Just like everything in life.

It seems as though the mods are able to "pin" a thread to make sure they always show up at the top of the Classifieds page. Assuming there will be no reversion, maybe a decent short-term solution to clear up any temporary auction confusion is to pin an announcement accordingly, advising that auctions have been moved into their own subsection. That being said, those who missed this in the first place may not even notice or pay attention to a pinned thread anyway, since they are so used to the same ones always being there. Figured I would throw that out there to potentially help, but obviously you all are vets and know what works best after doing it for so long.

I understand what you're saying but I think we can differentiate a vendor from someone selling a set or two. The vendor status is not related to the level of participation as we have examples of vendors who participate a lot in discussions. One thing has nothing to do with the other imo.

My point is, and I really do not want to go too deep into this rabbit hole: some people, maybe not you, rather have sets and chips made available to them (to all, really) than having deals made only behind the scene, in which case the chips would be only held by a select few. It is each person's decision to make if the price offered suits them or not. Just like everything in life.
Lol, ditto on the rabbit hole.

But I think the real distinction is those who view PCF primarily as a way to make money, and those who don't. For those that do, and want to sell chips but otherwise not contribute, there is the vendor forum to acommodate them.

Buyers still have their options, either way.

I appreciate and respect everyone's opinion about the changes with Auctions. I do think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed but Auctions, Classifieds, GroupBuys, Giveaways, and the eBay / Amazon / Craigslist / Other forums were moved into a brand new parent section. Marketplace was renamed to Marketplace Vendors and the new parent section is just Marketplace. Probably makes no difference. When you "watch" a forum, it is tied to the forum id no matter the section/sub-section it is moved to.

2020-09-03_11-41-37.jpg

@Tommy -- do you have a breakdown of current membership by post coun/title, active in the past 6 months? I'd guess the total will be far smaller than 6k, and those with four-digit post counts in even that smaller group will be greater than 200.

Not able to do the first part with having to look at over 1000 accounts individually.
Active in last 6 months with 1000+ posts is 244.

2020-09-03_11-43-38.jpg

Some do, but the vast majority of users do not click on 'New Posts' with any degree of regularity. I guarantee it.

That stat (how often is New Posts clicked by user as a percentage of overall clicks for the same user) is something that would be interesting to know, actually. I've been a member of more forums groups than I can count over the years, and I've always browsed all of them that way. I normally set up that link as my bookmark.

That stat (how often is New Posts clicked by user as a percentage of overall clicks for the same user) is something that would be interesting to know, actually. I've been a member of more forums groups than I can count over the years, and I've always browsed all of them that way. I normally set up that link as my bookmark.
N = 1, but for me that's my standard way of browsing here. Click New Posts, scroll for threads of interest and read/post until I'm out of PCF time. Rinse and repeat later.

One of the many new features coming in the next site upgrade.

For those who think everything should be posted in the Classifieds because it will be seen by more or because that is the only place they choose to browse.....

garfield150_11.png

Search forums are a brand new type of node, which aggregate threads from your entire installation based on criteria of your choosing. This allows your members to browse a more diverse selection of threads as though they were all posted in the same forum.

@Tommy Maybe I’m just stupid because I couldn’t locate the info, but what’s a guy gotta do to get the “privilege” of being able to bid on an auction?
Average more than 3 posts a year?
“30 posts and 30 days as a registered member are required before a new member can use the Auctions section.”

You have 5 posts to go.

Back to zen-mode

As someone who, for years now, has been perpetually shitting on others (myself often being your favorite target) for auctioning off their chips to get current market prices, perhaps you'd care to comment on why you've somehow decided that maybe it's not such a shitty thing to do after all, as evidenced by your recent auction listings?

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/barrel-up-to-a-rack-of-hsi-secondary-5k-mint.80087/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/jack-detroit-1k-secondary-mint.79933/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/jack-detroit-1000-primary-mint.79931/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/btp-sample-set-cash-tourney.79932/

As someone who, for years now, has been perpetually shitting on others (myself often being your favorite target) for auctioning off their chips to get current market prices, perhaps you'd care to comment on why you've somehow decided that maybe it's not such a shitty thing to do after all, as evidenced by your recent auction listings?

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/barrel-up-to-a-rack-of-hsi-secondary-5k-mint.80087/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/jack-detroit-1k-secondary-mint.79933/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/jack-detroit-1000-primary-mint.79931/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/btp-sample-set-cash-tourney.79932/
PCF remembers......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom