PLO8 Hi/Lo question (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
I've been playing the PLO8 hi/low freeroll tournaments on occasion on ACR to see if I can figure this game out.
I have a question about this specific hand please: why did I not chop the low hand with A2346?

1688847924797.png

I thought you cant have a pair, straight or flush to win the low? I thought it was the lowest "bad" hand.
Wouldnt 54 give him the straight?
I thought any type of hand (pair, 2 pair, set, straight, flush, etc) on the low automatically loses?

I thought you cant have a pair, straight or flush to win the low? I thought it was the lowest "bad" hand.
I thought any type of hand (pair, 2 pair, set, straight, flush, etc) on the low automatically loses?

Flushes and straights don't count against the low. A-5 is the nut low

Re-read the rules and it looks like i misunderstood, flushes & straights dont count but they dont disqualify the hand.
I had thought that if you have a flush, straight or pair you dont qualify for the low.
Thx
"Flushes and straights are completely ignored for the purposes of the low pot. The best possible low hand on Omaha Hi/Lo (and Stud Hi/Lo) is 5-4-3-2-A, which is often known as the wheel (or bicycle)."

Some games are like that. In those, 2,3,4,5,7 is the nut low. In others, A,2,3,4,5 is the nut low.

Re-read the rules and it looks like i misunderstood, flushes & straights dont count but they dont disqualify the hand.
I had thought that if you have a flush, straight or pair you dont qualify for the low.
Thx
"Flushes and straights are completely ignored for the purposes of the low pot. The best possible low hand on Omaha Hi/Lo (and Stud Hi/Lo) is 5-4-3-2-A, which is often known as the wheel (or bicycle)."

Correct. Pairs will counterfeit your low if you don't have any protection

I have a question about this specific hand please: why did I not chop the low hand with A2346?
I'd like to personally extend an invite to our dealer's choice cash game. You are welcome anytime - consider it a standing offer :)

(Before the pitchforks come out, I'm just messing around. Everyone has to learn somehow.)

Seriously though, 4-6-10-J SS is a pretty weak starting hand from any position, especially UTG. You didn't ask about that so I'm not going to say more - but I'd be happy to elaborate if you'd like a quick pointer on hand selection.

Not to pile on, but, I second what @Moxie Mike has stated. In PLO, the pots get big quick and you need to be playing hands that are either the nuts (on the flop) or have draws to the nuts. Just because you have nuts on the flop does not mean you will at showdown. Starting hand selection is critical. Double suited is most preferable. The powers that be say AAKK double suited is the best starting hand, but, is rather have something along the line of AATJ dbl suited.

Not to pile on, but, I second what @Moxie Mike has stated. In PLO, the pots get big quick and you need to be playing hands that are either the nuts (on the flop) or have draws to the nuts. Just because you have nuts on the flop does not mean you will at showdown. Starting hand selection is critical. Double suited is most preferable. The powers that be say AAKK double suited is the best starting hand, but, is rather have something along the line of AATJ dbl suited.

OP is discussing hi/lo.

OP is discussing hi/lo.
Yes, I fully understood this, doesn't change the point of starting hand consideration. So, I'll expand, in hi/lo, a good starting hand would be AA23 double suited. This gives you a good high hand start, as well as a wheel draw. Regardless of which you're playing, O or O8, you should be very selective about your starting hands. There are so many ways to lose in Omaha, more in O8, that hand selection is critical. This may change some when you're playing a local, "friendly" game where you learn players ranges, but, following a stricter policy of better starting hands is almost always better, in my opinion.

Or equities run so much closer that you can play all kinds of trash IP (JT46 one suit is stretching it though)

To each his own

Edit: looks like both blinds are sitting out seems like a much more reasonable open.

Last edited:
Good point...I don't play internet, so, I can't speak to the action there. Like any game, you have to feel the table out.

Best newbie advice in this game is to never play a hand unless it has A2, A3, sometimes 23 with no A. Plus you will really want that A to be suited. Absolutely never play a hand that has 2 or more of 8, 9, T, sometimes J.

This is really rudimentary advice mind you. But against most bad players in this game, just play better hands than them and you will print money.

Last edited:
And here in lies the downfall of looking at taking a "low" hand in O8...if you start out looking for the low chances are you'll be losing money. You may get none of the pot, maybe a quarter. Play for the high.

This was a freeroll tournament and everyone was limping every hand and playing Bingo on the flop ... I do appreciate the feedback on hand selection though.
Blinds at this level were 100/200 so it only cost 200 to see the flop and no risk of being raised pre

And here in lies the downfall of looking at taking a "low" hand in O8...if you start out looking for the low chances are you'll be losing money. You may get none of the pot, maybe a quarter. Play for the high.

I have probably made more money in PLO8 (4card) with high only hands charging people chasing with “the nut low draw” hoping to chop at best. With only 4 cards if the low isn’t flopped don’t count on it coming, especially if you only have 2 low cards. Often times you will pair one of your low cards or get 1/4 even if you make the low.

Make/have a high hand first then worry about a low. Of course huge combo draws for 2 way hands are a different animal altogether and are how you win a lot or go broke when they miss!

This was a freeroll tournament and everyone was limping every hand and playing Bingo on the flop ... I do appreciate the feedback on hand selection though.
Blinds at this level were 100/200 so it only cost 200 to see the flop and no risk of being raised pre
That's still too much investment for this hand. When every hand is going multiway, you need hands with high nut potential to go to the flop. And this ain't it. You win in plo8 games like this by having nut draws. Other good low initial investment hands are good high only hands like AKQJ, KQJT, KKJT, etc.

I can't stress enough how bad it is to play stuff like 5678, 46JQ, 9978, 2556, etc in multiway pots. You just won't win enough long term. Yes, you will see knuckleheads winning giant multiway pots with these hands, but they are losing more long term playing this garbage than they are winning. It may not seem like it sometimes, but that's because everyone else is also playing too much garbage. They are just swapping money around with trash.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom