Playing Card Review: Guild (2 Viewers)

Err...I just noticed something. I received the Guild Bridge cards from Gambler's Warehouse. I was just putting one deck back and I noticed that the plastic case is broken and missing a piece. Actually, two pieces, but one is fairly large over 1 inch, but thin, so the lid covered the area. The entire pack was sealed and I don't recall any pieces falling out, after I unwrapped the case.

Nevermind. I just read the thread where these could be Modiano or cousins. Also, the top of the case is stamped Modiano. I haven't read ever post on this thread, but i was some folks saying they thought these might be Modiano copies. Are they Modiano cards?

Err...I just noticed something. I received the Guild Bridge cards from Gambler's Warehouse. I was just putting one deck back and I noticed that the plastic case is broken and missing a piece. Actually, two pieces, but one is fairly large over 1 inch, but thin, so the lid covered the area. The entire pack was sealed and I don't recall any pieces falling out, after I unwrapped the case. ...

I haven't read ever post on this thread, but i was some folks saying they thought these might be Modiano copies. Are they Modiano cards?
According to earlier posts in this thread, just the cases were purchased from Modiano to keep the costs down, & they are supposedly cellulose acetate which only Kem & possibly CartiMundi use, vs PVC acetate or other ....[/QUOTE]

Saw this old thread pop up under “similar threads”. This time period was the beginning of my card buying spree. Since they I have accumulated many card to compare and contrast.

I was kind of shocked to see these card listed as acetate as I threw away the paper outer box and forgot. I have no idea how these cards are acetate. Acetate cards have a very very distinctive feel. These feel exactly like PVC cards. Are they still calling them acetate?

I've got 3-4 of these setups and liked them.

Current listing on Amazon has some commentary on the material, but I don't think Amazon is known for 100% credible descriptions.
Might be a typo on the 00% Acetate or might be a revision for truth in advertising? :unsure:

1629841112671.png

I've got 3-4 of these setups and liked them.

Current listing on Amazon has some commentary on the material, but I don't think Amazon is known for 100% credible descriptions.
Might be a typo on the 00% Acetate or might be a revision for truth in advertising? :unsure:

View attachment 762562
May be a typo but maybe not :)
There aren’t many acetate cards in the market. Maybe “acetate” and “cellulose acetate” are two different things

May be a typo but maybe not :)
There aren’t many acetate cards in the market. Maybe “acetate” and “cellulose acetate” are two different things

The More You Know:
the-morey-you-know-star.gif

Acetate plastic
In short, acetate, also known as cellulose acetate is made out of natural materials acquired from plants. It is a nylon-based plastic that is hypoallergenic. Regular plastic is made from petroleum-based nylon pellets. Acetate plastic does not harm the environment. Raw materials are not extracted by introducing chemicals to the source which harm the environment. Also, acetate plastic decomposes over time.

Hmmmm... does that mean our Modiano Platinum Acetate/Guild decks have an expiration date?
:unsure:

The More You Know:
View attachment 763106

Acetate plastic
In short, acetate, also known as cellulose acetate is made out of natural materials acquired from plants. It is a nylon-based plastic that is hypoallergenic. Regular plastic is made from petroleum-based nylon pellets. Acetate plastic does not harm the environment. Raw materials are not extracted by introducing chemicals to the source which harm the environment. Also, acetate plastic decomposes over time.

Hmmmm... does that mean our Modiano Platinum Acetate/Guild decks have an expiration date?
:unsure:
I took my Guilds out last night and shuffled them a few times. I have a very very hard time accepting that these are actually acetate. I have Kems as well as Cartamundi and Dal Negro acetate cards. All three are slightly different in feel but definitely have a common unique feel that is very different than PVC. Guilds feel exactly like PVC

do people who own these cards like them ? are they worth the almost $30 shipped they are ? or would you stick with Desjgn for $25 a set up ?

do people who own these cards like them ? are they worth the almost $30 shipped they are ? or would you stick with Desjgn for $25 a set up ?
These used to be $20 but prices in general but especially for playing cards have gone up 20 to 25% across the board. Fourniers even including shipping used to be $30 per two deck set up, and they're now up to $40.

I fear the same for desjgn. Shipping and raw material costs are much more now than they were a year or two ago. If it were me, I'd stock up on the desjgn decks at $20 to $25 a pop now. I fear a price increase is coming for Jason's next run, whenever that may be. I'll be placing another order with him this week to do exactly this. More Classic bridge and Grand Victorians.

Long story short, Guild are nice cards but I prefer desjgn, price notwithstanding, but as always YMMV.

Last edited:

Guilds and Desjgns have a slightly different feel and look but overall I would put them on the same level. I still have and use my guild setups (along with Modianos, Desjgns and Fourniers), they've stayed fully un-bowed for several years now. I think playingcards.net has them for $28 and amazon still has some sets for $23. Can't go wrong with either setup IMHO.

Guilds and Desjgns have a slightly different feel and look but overall I would put them on the same level. I still have and use my guild setups (along with Modianos, Desjgns and Fourniers), they've stayed fully un-bowed for several years now. I think playingcards.net has them for $28 and amazon still has some sets for $23. Can't go wrong with either setup IMHO.
Just played with the Guild decks again this weekend. They are a bit stiffer than others when shuffling.

Just played with the Guild decks again this weekend. They are a bit stiffer than others when shuffling.

They're comparable to the Italian cards stocks (Modiano, Dal Negro & Fournier).

I really like these Marion Pro's one of the people in this forum put me onto they shuffle very nice just really thin cards

Guild are nice, but I would pick Desjgn over them. You’re probably going to get people that feel totally opposite as well.

20230628_200640.jpg
I recently got a Guild set up and compared it to my Modiano Platinum's. They have an almost Identical card face design and are shipped in Modiano boxes and advertised as 100% acetates. I had expected the Guilds to be similar to the Modiano Platinum's but they were not. The Guild's were a thicker stock and did not have the flex I associate with acetate cards. I think the Guild's are more comparable to the Modiano Club Poker cards, they have a similar texture and feel. I like the Guild's arc and arrow back design and the printing is slightly richer than the Modiano Platinum's but I would not pay a premium for the Guild's. If you want acetate just go for Kem's but even a set of DaVinci's would be as good Guild's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom