Play Pocket Jacks With me! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
1/2 NL. 9-handed

Hero has $125 left on a $200 buyin. Has been playing TAG.

The table has regularly seen raises between $8-$32 preflop (larger raises after limpers) with the average first open raise (not facing a straddle) to be $10-12.

The table consists of a decent number of stations who are trying to get lucky with not so great hands, who will limp for $2 and then somehow think their hand is worth $25 or more.

There are two competent players at the table, but the first already folded before it got to hero

Villian1 is UTG with a straddle to $4. Villian has consistantly straddled when on the button (when hero is in BB) and sometimes from UTG. Villian is the type to sometimes, but not always, raise from the straddle after callers.

Folds to Hero who looks down at :js::jh: other stacks at the table are between $60-500, with the avg stack around $250

Hero?

Lets try a fancy play. I propose Hero limp for $4 with a plan to limp/raise ( in most cases ) If there is no preflop raise, then Hero is playing for a set.

Proceed in a cowardly way in a massive multi-way limped pot where Hero flops an overpair. The goal is to get Hero's chips in preflop or flop a monster. The overpair flop leads to RIO problems should Hero get aggressive then.

I like the Dr's line.. Let's do that!

And alternative strategy might be to open to $17. I think this shows strength, but will polarize the range of any callers. If you get raised, you might be behind. I still like the Dr's line.

On a side note, I thank you for posting a strat thread. I was just thinking about the lack of strat threads lately, and trying to figure out why... I think these threads are very useful for members to get feedback and grow as players.. Especially if they feel comfortable posting..

If you were deeper, raising preflop would be the way to go. Being shallow-ish in this spot, limping and laying the boom down on the straddler if he does raise is good stuff.

1/2 NL. 9-handed

The table has regularly seen raises between $8-$32 preflop (larger raises after limpers) with the average first open raise (not facing a straddle) to be $10-12.

The table consists of a decent number of stations who are trying to get lucky with not so great hands, who will limp for $2 and then somehow think their hand is worth $25 or more.

There are two competent players at the table, but the first already folded before it got to hero

Villian1 is UTG with a straddle to $4. Villian has consistantly straddled when on the button (when hero is in BB) and sometimes from UTG. Villian is the type to sometimes, but not always, raise from the straddle after callers.

Folds to Hero who looks down at :js::jh: other stacks at the table are between $60-500, with the avg stack around $250

Hero considered the limp-raise line but didn't want to risk the possibility of the straddler just checking his option and being 6 handed, and opts to raise to $20

Folds to the BB who calls, straddler calls. The BB is relatively new to the table, looks a bit disheveled and has already been all-in a few times, managing to get folds and build his stack

Hero is happy to have narrowed the field a bit and have position on both opponents

POT: $61

Flop: :4s: :jc::5d:

BB checks, straddler bets $15. Hero has $105 remaining, Hero ?

Straddler bets 1/4 pot? I would min-raise to $30 which allows me to shove any turn comfortably.

I'd probably smooth call. And hope to get BB to come along also. Whatever the next card is I'm raising any bet or betting when it gets to me. With your stack this hand now plays it's self. You can never get away from it even if one of the other guys shows you a 67 and the turn is an 8.

1/2 NL. 9-handed

Hero considered the limp-raise line but didn't want to risk the possibility of the straddler just checking his option and being 6 handed, and opts to raise to $20

Folds to the BB who calls, straddler calls. The BB is relatively new to the table, looks a bit disheveled and has already been all-in a few times, managing to get folds and build his stack

Hero is happy to have narrowed the field a bit and have position on both opponents

POT: $61

Flop: :4s: :jc::5d:

BB checks, straddler bets $15. Hero has $105 remaining, Hero ?

Hero figures straddler is weak in this spot, but wants to try and maximize his value on the hand so he can play for stacks. Hero doesn't think a shove here gets called, and wants someone to catch up enough they can pay Hero off.

Hero calls $15, BB calls $15

POT: $106
Hero's remaining stack: $90

Turn: :2d:

BB checks
UTG bets $20
Hero ?

hellmuth-o.gif

I'd look at my watch like "it's time to go home...", shrug and ship the $90 in.

Hero shoves, BB insta-shoves. Straddler thinks for a bit and also calls

River :qs:

BB reveals :ah::3h: for the turned gutshot, straddler has :6s::4s: hero loses

How's does A3 get there... A3 does not compute in my brain.

I hate slow-playing against limpers, because this is exactly what usually happens. Gotta make 'em pay.....

Hero's actions on turn and river are fine in a pre-raised pot. But not here.

Hero was toast from the very beginning. By the time Hero gets to act after the flop, he is facing a $15 bet into a $61 preflop pot. Hero is way past pot committed holding top set and has no way to avoid losing his stack this hand.

While we might discuss how to extract the maximum value from Hero's hand, we can't get an open ended straight draw to fold for a $90 shove into a $91 pot which is Hero's most aggressive play. Yes, Hero might get A3 and the other gut shots to fold with a shove. I generally do not mind letting villains draw at a four out gut shot if they pay some price, but there is a legitimate question about the wisdom of giving a player 6-1 direct odds plus 6-1 implied odds. I'd still take the trapping line, but it is quite close.

Let's not lose sight that the vast majority of villains' holdings are drawing nearly dead vs top set. Hero makes a lot of money giving the players room to make a mistake and over value their hands. I don't slow play all that often, but this looks like as good a place as any to do it even if the results turned out poorly.

I like trapping here........you can't worry about getting drawn out on........with your stack you are just looking to get all of the money in the middle and I think a call on the flop is the right way to go ............. going all in on the flop (which is really your only other option) is not likley to get called and you want to get value from your top set........knowing what we know now a shove on the flop would not have gotten a call.... which is usually the case......also there were only 4 possible outs to beat you and you still had re draws........... I believe even if you could magically see the other two players hold cards it turns out the same way.......

That being said If there was a flush and straight draw on the flop I would usually raise........but in this case I would play it the same way......and then re buy lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom