Play a flopped flush with me! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Playing 1/3 NL with $500 max buyin.

Relevant cast of characters

Hero in BB with $450 stack
Villain-1 (Button) with $600 stack
Villain-2 (SB) with $300 stack

The button is the generally loose/aggressive (far more loose than aggressive) player that had tried bluffing me off my Kings when he called a raise with 78 s00ted and flopped a flush draw, and also called a massive three-bet OOP with AJ off this session.

The SB is a loose/weak player who just a few hands ago flopped quad 10's and got minimal value out of them against myself and another opponent when she checked the flop and bet only $10 on the turn and river even after a flush draw came in. She presently holds the current high hand which will be expiring within the next 8 minutes and is worth $400

Three limpers, Button limps, SB limps, Hero looks down at :8d::5d: and checks his option.

Pot: ($18)
Flop: :6d::jd::7d:

SB bets $10, Hero ?

Stacks too deep to worry about the two out draw for the high hand jackpot for now. And I have to assume there is another $400 available just after this one ends.

Hero should raise, Let's try $35 all day or $25 on top ( $25 raise into a $38 pot = 66% ) Hero isn't going to like a three-bet from either villain, but it isn't clear yet what Hero should do in that case.

funny how a similar situation happened to me in a bigger game, 200BB deep. I flopped a 5 high flush, there was a bet, I raised, and button jammed for 200BB and I called off. He had A7o, and hit his nut flush twice on turn and river :p. unfortunate, but I will stack off for 200BB anytime in these spots.

That $10 bet throws me off a bit. Isn't a solid check the smart play there OOP with a flush flop? Not sure what heat SB is packing...... Maybe Ad Jcsh?

From the OP - - - "The SB is a loose/weak player who just a few hands ago flopped quad 10's and got minimal value out of them against myself and another opponent when she checked the flop and bet only $10"

Hard to say what to make of a half pot bet. Could be blocking, could be drawing, could be a "feeler" bet, could be for value, could be a $10 bet is villain's extraction plan with the nuts. I don't know that Hero has much of a read that lets him know how SB sees such things.

Let's try and find out what is going on now. I don't think this is a place to be tricky trappy, let's play this street fast. I think Hero would be greatly helped if he can make this hand heads up with the SB and have position.

Three limpers, Button limps, SB limps, Hero looks down at :8d::5d: and checks his option.

SB bets $10, Hero calls $10, limpers fold, button calls $10

Pot ($48)
Turn: :kc:

SB bets $10, Hero?

I actually prefer flatting flop. The smaller size bet is not that big of a problem given the current pot size. I also feel like raising may be bad for a few reasons.

1. It turns our hand more face up, a lot of the time we have weak flushes here because we didn't raise preflop. Sure we sometimes have A3dd type hands but we shouldn't be too worried about getting drawn out on so we wouldn't raise these hands too often.

2. It's hard to get value from too many hands worse then ours. There are probably 0 combos of AJ and KJ with the Ad and Kd maybe some combos of QdJd.

3. We give our opponent/s a chance to bluff turns and maybe even call a raise when they have the bare Ad or Kd when they have less equity in the pot.

I think there is some valid arguments for raising as well would be interesting to hear some contrasting theories.

On the turn I think at this point we can raise. I would make it $60 total here planning on folding to a raise from either player. The $10 bet is too small now for this pot size. SB could have the nut flush sometimes but I think it is more likely they can have just the bare A or K with a diamond.

Excluding exactly the nuts I think it's unlikely that the button has a strong hand here because he probably would have raised the flop to charge the drawing hands. It's possible he could have a set or something and pay off your raise to draw to a full house if he is that way inclined.

There's no incorrect play on the flop here shy of folding or smashing it. I'd lean toward calling behind and giving the 3rd player an opportunity to get tricky. Plus, the SB might fire huge on an airball turn card. Not to mention, if you hit your two outer to the straight flush and one of them does have the Ad, then you're doubling up AND getting the $400. No reason to try to scare them off on the flop. You shouldn't be overly concerned about flush vs flush with only 3 to a suit on the board. Plus, if the turn brings another diamond, you can avert a disaster. That said, raising has strong arguments too, and I'd mix up my play here, but I'm probably flatting 2/3rds of the time and raising 1/3.

Pot ($48)

SB bets $10, Hero calls $10, Button raises to $30, SB calls $30, Hero ?

p.s. I know I'm playing this bad in review btw, gotta be honest with myself when I fuck things up

Pot ($48)

SB bets $10, Hero calls $10, Button raises to $30, SB calls $30, Hero ?

p.s. I know I'm playing this bad in review btw, gotta be honest with myself when I fuck things up

Raise raise raise

Pot ($48)

SB bets $10, Hero calls $10, Button raises to $30, SB calls $30, Hero calls $30

Pot: ($138)
River: :2h:

SB Checks, Hero?

note: Yes, I am playing this atrocious, good god! I don't know if I was gun shy because I was worried about the SB who had bet small with her monster quads a few hands earlier, or the button who loved playing suited cards that were higher than my own flush.

I think I'm leading out for a stack of red at this point. I feel like button has AK, with the Ad. The other person probably was on a set or 2 pair type hand

At this point, nothing you do is going to make sense to anyone, so you may as well take a moment to pause and call for an empty rack, then smash the pot with a barrel of $5s to try to make it look like a bluff. You'll get looked up by a few strong hands and even a few weak head scratcher hands if they're closing the action. You'll also occasionally get shoved on by a nut flush. Once the hand is over, put your chips into that empty rack and stroll on over to the cage because it's time to walk away from the table. You're not on your 'A' game tonight, and that's ok. Sometimes we all play poorly. But it's important to be honest with yourself and recognize when it's happening so you can get up from the table and limit your losses. When I was playing full time, I had a "rule of 3" that I usually stuck to. I allowed myself 3 mistakes per session. After the 3rd mistake, I would rack up my chips and cash out.

Pot ($48)

SB Checks, Hero checks, Button bets $50, SB starts muttering about how Button can't possibly have hit the King and calls, Hero ?

Pot ($48)

SB Checks, Hero checks, Button bets $50, SB starts muttering about how Button can't possibly have hit the King and calls, Hero ?
Sounds like someone limped in with Queens, and maybe the :qd:. I agree though, I am raising $100 on top.

I think its just a flat here. We're closing the action, which is nice, and the way button played the hand feels very strong to me. Our hand is obviously under-repped, but what can we realistically expect to get value from with a raise that we actually beat?

Agree with chippy here. Although I think it's likely we have the best hand, it's hard to be called by worse. We have way to much showdown value to turn our hand into a bluff so I would just call it off.

Pot ($48)

SB Checks, Hero checks, Button bets $50, SB starts muttering about how Button can't possibly have hit the King and calls, Hero calls $50

Button turns over :2d::3d: for the flopped bottom flush, SB mucks, Hero wins the pot and laments that he could've probably stacked button with the way that guy plays. So many mistakes on this hand, ugh. :sick:

I don't think the check back is a mistake. The only flushes you beat are the 23, 24, and 34 of diamonds, and a competent player (not saying this guy is) should be able to fold a 3 or 4 high flush to a cold check/3-bet line on the river. And even if he is calling with all flushes, there are only those 3 flush combos that you beat, and a heck of a lot more you lose with. Now maybe you didn't play the flop or turn optimally, but at least your river decision was correct.

After you flat the flop I think you have to flat the turn and then min-raise (or thereabouts) the river. Flop is a raise nearly 100% of the time imo.

against this exact hand your probably not getting stacks in on the river if you raise turn, so you probably didn't miss as much value as you think. The value you missed is from not charging the one pair big diamond hands on the turn. These hands would probably check back or fold river to a bet in most cases.

This reads like you really just let the SB's prior quads hand get stuck in your brain. I don't think you played any one street particularly poorly, just not optimally. 9 out of 10 times you raise that flop and the hand plays out from there.

In fact, this thread feels like you expected to lose from the flop. Likely my last hand of the night if its me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom