Plastic Card Trays from PGI - INTEREST THREAD (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have a set with plaques in the works, I am interested. Need to know how many MSKs these will hold to get exact numbers, but I'm looking at 80 MSKs (size = the $20 MSK GB plaques), plus a hand-full of over-sized plaques (I will be building a custom case, so the over-sized plaques may not need to fit in the tray at all.

Definitely interested in some of these, depending on final price.

Personally, I'd increase the well depth before shortening it. I look at these as replacement trays (replacing a rack of chips). A 600-chip carrier becomes a 500-chip carrier plus cards (or plaques), and a 1000-chip carrier becomes a 900-chip (or 800-chip) carrier, depending on how many cards/plaques you want to include.

Increasing the wall height to equal that of a tray full of chips would ensure a one-to-one exchange, height-wise. Would also allow for a deck of cards (maybe two) plus a dealer button in the same cavity.

I think this is the key to making a product that would be usable by many. Great idea.

Ballpark is $1.25 per tray plus mold costs... waiting to hear back to see if the wall height can be increased...

Bad news... with the quantities we're looking at this may not be feasible. I was just told the cost of the mold will be "several thousand" dollars.

Either we get a few thousand of these pre-ordered, or we have to jack the per unit cost way up to cover the mold.

Thoughts?

What are we talking about Per unit with the mold cost included?
I am interested in getting a few......

What are we talking about Per unit with the mold cost included?
I am interested in getting a few......

Ballpark $25.00 each assuming we hit 100. This is just an estimate and could change +/- $4 or so per rack depending on final order quantities.

Mold will be $2,000 - $3,000.

We really need to get a preorder of 500 or so to make this worthwhile. Even then we're talking about $7 each because we're covering the cost of the mold.

Final retail will still be $1.25 or so from PGI.

So, the question is this... can we get 500 or more of these pre-ordered at $7 each? I'm guessing this will be unlikely unless we can get retailers like @Apache, @Spinettis Gaming, and others on board.

Last edited:
Ballpark $25.00 each assuming we hit 100. This is just an estimate and could change +/- $4 or so per rack depending on final order quantities.

Mold will be $2,000 - $3,000.

We really need to get a preorder of 500 or so to make this worthwhile. Even then we're talking about $7 each because we're covering the cost of the mold.

Final retail will still be $1.25 or so from PGI.

So, the question is this... can we get 500 or more of these pre-ordered at $7 each? I'm guessing this will be unlikely.

I'm not sure we can get near that many pre-orders. I think a lot depends on how many Joe thinks he can sell at retail to other customers.

Like I said before, I would be good for 6-12 (price dependent though). I don't know if I would want to pay $7 plus per tray, maybe in the $4-$6 range.

I know it's just the cheap plastic but has anyone tried to find the original manufacturer?

I'm willing to help pay for the mold, provided that mold charges are passed on to future users/buyers. I'm not willing to help pay for a mold that PGI will get to use for free for future orders. He can't have it both ways.

I agree with you 100% and am drafting an email asking about this. I don't think it's fair that we cover 100% of the cost of the mold for him to sell a final product at a reduced price.

I know it's just the cheap plastic but has anyone tried to find the original manufacturer?

The trays came from the chipset below that looks to be circa 2001-2003. Probably made in China - I think it's doubtful we'll find the original maker...

tray2.jpg

I just had another thought... what if a handful of guys on here pay for the mold, and the product is then exclusive to PCF? @Tommy could set up a "products" page where proceeds go to the site and the mold investors. If PGI wanted trays, they'd need to buy them from PCF to resell.

Would this be feasible?

OK, I just got some clarity from Joe. Basically, the mold is not separate from the order, as the minimum order should cover the mold cost. See below...

Our molding cost for this tray will probably be around 1.00 per tray if we order 5000+ the factory doesn't like to make less then 5000 of anything because it takes time to set up the injection molding machinery and running 5000 trays goes fast

normally on projects like this we add 10 per cent- so if the tray costs 1.00 to make we get 1.10

I have no market for this tray so basically wed be making them for you or whomever for 10 per cent over cost

Thoughts?

So we need to order 5000, or will Joe stock the balance of whatever we don't buy up front as a group?

So we need to order 5000, or will Joe stock the balance of whatever we don't buy up front as a group?

I think we need to order 5,000 or this does not happen.

Or, we need to cover the cost of the mold. It doesn't sound like Joe is much interested in this as a product much beyond being the middle man for us and the factory. At, least, that's what I'm gathering.

I think this GB is dead in the water. Just no way to make it happen with the numbers we have right now.

Sorry guys.

Ha, blast from the past here! These are my card trays from a set I bought off craigslist. Side note: they are also handy for storing a small number of plaques. I've got my Dia de los Muertos set in that carrier right now with the card holders on top with $5000 plaques in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom