Philadelphia Cheesesteaks: Mama’s - One Cheesesteak to Rule Them All (1 Viewer)

ReallyGoodUsername

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I spent an entire summer traveling to Philadelphia (split between the city and Collegeville) when I first started working. I was able to try about a dozen or more cheesesteak shops but IMO one put all the rest to shame: Mama’s Pizzeria. It’s about 25 min northwest of the city in Bala Cynwyd but it’s classic with marinara sauce is legitimately my favorite food I’ve ever had (including plenty of fancy shmancy client dinners).

Why am I bringing this up? It’s been about four years since I was last down there - and brought a large cheesesteak back with me to Boston on the plane - and now my girlfriend is going down next week for work and agreed to bring me back three cheesesteaks (she’s the one :tup:) and I couldn’t be more excited. My mouth literally waters when she even mentions anything trip related.

0790BEA8-59EB-4438-945F-F02D6DDFC7C7.jpeg

Love to hear what other cheesesteaks people love in Philly. Feel free to skip over Geno’s and Pat’s :cool

Last edited:
Lived in Philly for 33 years, been in Collegeville for the last 2. Never heard of Mama's - guess I need to get out more. Then again, I don't get over to the Main Line very often due to the ultra-wealthy, pompous douchebag concentration.

Being from NE Philly (blue collar, cops and firemen section), more of a Jim's and Steve's Steaks fan myself.

Lived in Philly for 33 years, been in Collegeville for the last 2. Never heard of Mama's - guess I need to get out more. Then again, I don't get over to the Main Line very often due to the ultra-wealthy, pompous douchebag concentration.

Being from NE Philly (blue collar, cops and firemen section), more of a Jim's and Steve's Steaks fan myself.
You gotta try it! Well worth the douchebaggery and it’s got an extremely blue collar mom & pop vibe to it.

Are you talking about the Jim’s on south street or the one in West Philly? Both were really good but the one in WP was my #3 which also served beer but is now closed for good :(

FD1E7AF2-6933-471A-AC27-274E45828974.jpeg

We were meh on Pat's and Geno's. Jim's was ok. But we used to sometimes make late night weekend trips to Tony Luke's. All about the roast pork Italian.

Thankfully now we live close to a pork store that makes it fresh and its almost identical.

Pats and Genos are just tourist traps :tdown: Average food, high prices. Pay to look at all the pictures.
Tony Lukes is better for other types of sandwiches. Broccoli rabe and chicken cheese steaks.

Jim's on South St are decent.
But if I'm on South St and want a cheese steak, I'm going to Ishkabibbles.

At home,
Landis Lean Sirloin Tip Beef Steaks
Provolone
Sarcone's seeded bread

Lived there for 7 years

Jim's all the way

Partial to Abner's in West Philly but couldn't argue it's the best.

Yeah dudes! Former Main Liner, West Chest U. Grad, and Royersford resident.
I used to work at the Circuit City in Berwyn, Pa while in college. There was a place called "Sal's". Not sure if it's still around. Best cheesecake and pizza steaks (with the red sauce).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom