Phil Hellmuth Wins Record-Extending 17th World Series of Poker Bracelet (1 Viewer)

Rieguy

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.pokernews.com/news/2023...s-world-series-of-poker-bracelet-17-43971.htm

https://contents.pokerstake.com/art...il-hellmuth-star-in-super-turbo-drama-641325/

As with all but three of his bracelets, his 17th victory came in the No-Limit Hold'em variant. The fast blind structure and bounty element drew a large field of 642 runners that generated a total prizepool of $4,044,600 with Hellmuth taking $803,818 plus bounties for the first place finish.
Late in the day, he picked up pocket jacks three times, won several key flips, and found aces at an opportune moment to eliminate Phil Ivey in 6th place.

Say what you want about his whininess or nitty-cash game plays, but tourney Phil is a beast and has an easy claim as the tourney GOAT.

196c2db8bd.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I follow this stuff pretty closely, but this one slipped under my radar since it was a single day event.
They need to figure out a way to
Spontaneously stream stuff when it gets interesting - Hellmuth and Ivey together at a final table? Give it to us!!!

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2023...s-world-series-of-poker-bracelet-17-43971.htm

https://contents.pokerstake.com/art...il-hellmuth-star-in-super-turbo-drama-641325/

Say what you want about his whininess or nitty-cash game plays, but tourney Phil is a beast and has an easy claim as the tourney GOAT.

View attachment 1158158
Dominance, good for him. Anyone know offhand what his other 3 bracelets are in? Some kind of mixed or PLO?

Edit: Lol, amazing poker player believing in fate:
"I tried not complain. Oh, I've been unlucky in key spots. F*** all that bulls*** you know, because things happen for a reason".

Dominance, good for him. Anyone know offhand what his other 3 bracelets are in? Some kind of mixed or PLO?

"I tried not complain. Oh, I've been unlucky in key spots. F*** all that bulls*** you know, because things happen for a reason".
Well it’s not quite true, he has 14 holdem bracelets but some were limit and pot limit.

The other three are razz (2x) and 2-7 single draw

According to Wikipedia he won 3 bracelets in LHE, 2 bracelets in Razz, and 1 in 2-7 Single Draw. Everything else has been NLHE.

The man has plenty of flaws and faults, but he’s simply the best World Series of Poker player of all time and there’s really no room for debate.

Greatest? Yep, 100% as of today.

Best? He's won 4 bracelets in the past 10 years. Lots of people have done that. Rast has three PPC titles in 11 years. Right place, right time in history.

Ivey is overrated too. Come fight me

Greatest? Yep, 100% as of today.

Best? He's won 4 bracelets in the past 10 years. Lots of people have done that. Rast has three PPC titles in 11 years. Right place, right time in history.

Ivey is overrated too. Come fight me
Hellmuth has the most bracelets before Moneymaker.
Hellmuth has the most bracelets since moneymaker.
Nobody’s done it better.

Wow! I follow this stuff pretty closely, but this one slipped under my radar since it was a single day event.
They need to figure out a way to
Spontaneously stream stuff when it gets interesting - Hellmuth and Ivey together at a final table? Give it to us!!!
Didn’t finish until 5:00 AM in Vegas.

Hellmuth has the most bracelets before Moneymaker.
Hellmuth has the most bracelets since moneymaker.
Nobody’s done it better.

That is why he is the greatest, as I said.

Best implies he is the guy you would want to choose to win a bracelet at any time in their prime.

Guys 20 years younger than him (and some were not even gambling age when the Moneymaker win happened) have the same amount of bracelets in the past 10 years.

Also again. Rast has 3 PPC titles since Moneymaker. Others have done it at the same level or better since Moneymaker, they just don't have the same bracelet numbers.

Sometimes I wonder if Phil is playing unprofitably close to chip EV when it is in the money - costing money, but vastly improving his bracelet odds.

Sometimes I wonder if Phil is playing unprofitably close to chip EV when it is in the money - costing money, but vastly improving his bracelet odds.
“ICM is for poor people” seems to be a catch phrase at this year’s WSOP - a lot of these guys are only interested in bracelets.

Hellmuth does so many things that seem unprofitable - have you watched how he plays a short stack in no limit games? Like he hasn’t even noticed his stack size. He won’t hesitate to limp-fold or even minraise-fold with a sub 10bb stack. Seems so contrary to how most of us approach it. In fact the article says he was down to two bigs at one point in this tournament.
But how do you argue with his results?

“ICM is for poor people” seems to be a catch phrase at this year’s WSOP - a lot of these guys are only interested in bracelets.

Hellmuth does so many things that seem unprofitable - have you watched how he plays a short stack in no limit games? Like he hasn’t even noticed his stack size. He won’t hesitate to limp-fold or even minraise-fold with a sub 10bb stack. Seems so contrary to how most of us approach it. In fact the article says he was down to two bigs at one point in this tournament.
But how do you argue with his results?
Those are all bubble plays he makes right? I read somewhere he almost plays the bubble like it’s a satellite to lock up a cash.

Yea he’s going for the stats. Cashes and wins. And fine, he earned it, GOAT since he’s done it successfully. And his longevity is unparalleled.

I will say this though. If I’m ever at a WSOP final table, I’d much rather be facing Hellmuth than some of the other, more profitable players.

In 2021, he played in 34 WSOP events. Are all those bracelet events? I wonder how many other pros are entering so many events...maybe plenty, I have no idea.
If he is entering that many events, how much do you think that plays to his chances of winning one? I'm not trying to knock him at all, he is clearly a remarkable player. But wow, that's a lot of entries.

Phil Hellmuth may have an exceptional tournament record, but he cannot change that his approach to the game and his demeanor have been absolute poison to the poker culture. Berating fish is one of the worst EV plays there is and he made that mainstream and worse inspired a legion of followers to cardrooms and home games everywhere that think this should be acceptable behavior. Not only is it bad manners, it's bad business, but when Hellmuth succeeds, there's cover for this trash. As a result of this "inspiration" untold numbers of players that would have been long term donors have been run out of the hobby.

Congratulate him if you must, but I just see the glorification of an ugly behavior that is bad for the game.

Phil Hellmuth may have an exceptional tournament record, but he cannot change that his approach to the game and his demeanor have been absolute poison to the poker culture. Berating fish is one of the worst EV plays there is and he made that mainstream and worse inspired a legion of followers to cardrooms and home games everywhere that think this should be acceptable behavior. Not only is it bad manners, it's bad business, but when Hellmuth succeeds, there's cover for this trash. As a result of this "inspiration" untold numbers of players that would have been long term donors have been run out of the hobby.

Congratulate him if you must, but I just see the glorification of an ugly behavior that is bad for the game.
I respectfully disagree, I think one things that makes Poker what it is the unpredictable unique behavior of HUMANS because I'd rather have that then a bunch of silent GTO homogenized pros (essentially trying to be a computer). Diversity is good for the game not matter how "ugly" it seems.

Fun fact: Take away all those super high rollers and invitational high rollers and Phil Hellmuth would be at the top of All-Time money list.

MTT GOAT.

I respectfully disagree, I think one things that makes Poker what it is the unpredictable unique behavior of HUMANS because I'd rather have that then a bunch of silent GTO homogenized pros (essentially trying to be a computer). Diversity is good for the game not matter how "ugly" it seems.
It's not the GTO homogenized pros he's chasing away. Those types are more likely to put up with his antics. It's the rec-players that could spend their disposable income on the game but have better things to do if being berated is part of the culture.

Fun fact: Take away all those super high rollers and invitational high rollers and Phil Hellmuth would be at the top of All-Time money list.

MTT GOAT.
^^ this. Sorry but it’s a tournament. People can act how they want. Even tho the “standard” for a penalty seems to waver a little too much, especially in Phil’s case.

Cash games are a different story.

It's not the GTO homogenized pros he's chasing away. Those types are more likely to put up with his antics. It's the rec-players that could spend their disposable income on the game but have better things to do if being berated is part of the culture.
Fair point about chasing away rec-players who are the main ingredient of Poker's popularity and sustainability. I believe it's important not to generalize how the recreational players react to Phil's antics because some love it, and some hate it.

Fair point about chasing away rec-players who are the main ingredient of Poker's popularity and sustainability. I believe it's important not to generalize how the recreational players react to Phil's antics because some love it, and some hate it.
I don't think it takes much to see that anything that drives rec players away can possibly be seen as good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom