Pharaohs Club China Clays - Chip Oiling (1 Viewer)

moojersey

Flush
Reaction score
Well I've have had a set of Pharaohs China Clays for a while. Only played once a long time ago. With all the reading here I became jealous and decided to oil them up for appearance. They were still pretty light and chalky. Will provide updates as I make progress. This is no quick easy task.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457191963.992645.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457191973.962359.jpg

Starting on the 500 denoms. Little comparison.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457290869.229822.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457290908.246798.jpg

On to the $1000. Quick comparison.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457724429.752703.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457724441.587153.jpg

Splashed Pot

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457725012.740664.jpg

Last edited:
Oh it is a slow and painful process. I mostly do it while watching tv.

For sure they are worth oiling. They pop so much more. When I got mine that was the first thing I did, Just didn't like the dry chaulky look.

Moo, I was also going to use paper towels. Like this idea and your chips look great. Did the towels extract any of the oil back?

What was your process. Did you use a cloth? Did you touch the center or only the outer clay? Please explain I have the same set would like to do it as well.

Moo, I was also going to use paper towels. Like this idea and your chips look great. Did the towels extract any of the oil back?

I don't think so. If they did it was minimal. If you are concerned about that you could do one side at a time, but they turned out fine so I don't think it's necessary.

What was your process. Did you use a cloth? Did you touch the center or only the outer clay? Please explain I have the same set would like to do it as well.

I stayed away from the sticker. Just put a little on my finger and wiped the outside edges a bit. Let them soak up that oil overnight, then wiped them with a clean / old cotton tshirt. They came out very nice, rich color.

Doesn't oiling chips promote further dirt and dust buildup, overtime? :unsure:

Nope. The 'clay' is a bit porous and soaks the oil into the material. We don't leave them 'wet'. Let the oil soak in then wipe them with a clean cloth. Brings out the color.

Last summer I oiled my Milanos. Very relaxing pasttime. I retreated to my 1st floor, laid out the racks and materials, lit a cigar, poured a drink and did it while I watched WWE network for 5 straight hours. Great night that was.

I used a microfiber washcloth and baby oil with fragrance to help kill the CC smell. I didn't pass over the labels for the first 400, then experimented with it and found there wasn't any issue and did the last 600 by rubbing the whole chip down. Much faster.

The chips looked great and smelled 100% better after. I was happy with it.

I read somewhere randomly that you could basically wash the chips with water and get the same effect, because they're not Paulsons and don't react to or require actual oiling. True or not, cleaning or oiling CCs seems well worth it.

Last summer I oiled my Milanos. Very relaxing pasttime. I retreated to my 1st floor, laid out the racks and materials, lit a cigar, poured a drink and did it while I watched WWE network for 5 straight hours. Great night that was.

I used a microfiber washcloth and baby oil with fragrance to help kill the CC smell. I didn't pass over the labels for the first 400, then experimented with it and found there wasn't any issue and did the last 600 by rubbing the whole chip down. Much faster.

The chips looked great and smelled 100% better after. I was happy with it.

I read somewhere randomly that you could basically wash the chips with water and get the same effect, because they're not Paulsons and don't react to or require actual oiling. True or not, cleaning or oiling CCs seems well worth it.

Are you keeping your Milanos!?

Yes oiling is way worth it. Mine look 10X better.

Got no more hits on my last 600, so I'm just gonna keep them as a micro cash set. I'll finish my relabeling project on them soon and get a new carrier. I love them, so I'm not hurting either (y) :thumbsup:

And I may have a friend who'll buy them off of me at some point because he's starting to host in his new home and has no chips.

Anyone actually test out washing all the chips or just soaking in water. So much time saved lol

Yeah it took me a long time but it was worth oiling my Dunes CC. It was mostly fun and relaxing. There is a big difference between washed chips and the washed + oiled chips. I wouldn't worry to much about the stickers coming off. I even dropped some of my chips into a bucket of soapy water for 1 or 2 seconds and they were all fine. However, I would avoid letting them soak overnight or for any long period in water or oil.

Similarly with oil, don't worry about getting some oil on the sticker. They will be fine.

When you oil them how long do you leave them on for before you wipe them off? or do you just leave it on?

When you oil them how long do you leave them on for before you wipe them off? or do you just leave it on?

You really only need to leave mineral oil on for a few seconds. They 100% need to be wiped off or they'll stay oily IME.

Edit: I would oil some thing like a rack at a time and lay them out on some rags after oiling each individual chip. After the rack was oiled, wipe them off with a clean rag and set them on a new set of clean rags to dry for a day or two.

Last edited:
Would there be any negative consequences to just dumping all 600 chips into a big bowl of oil and then cleaning it off.

Would there be any negative consequences to just dumping all 600 chips into a big bowl of oil and then cleaning it off.

Using more oil than needed and making a big mess. Leaving them in too long and having labels fall off.

You only need a tiny amount to oil many chips.

I see that makes sense. Did you wash them before you oiled them? Is that a necessary step?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom