Oiling China Clays (1 Viewer)

r_g285

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I know there are mixed opinions on this, but what are everyone's opinions on oiling China clays? I seem to have had success just wiping down the initial chalky dust with a damp towel but I'm curious if oiling will add a bit of vibrancy to China clays, specifically Majestics.

Yes. Oil away. Few different methods. I found oil bath works well (majority water). Saves the fingers and is just as effective IMO. No need to dust off the chips in advance either.

Edit: redacted due to accuracy issues :cry::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
While called China Clay it is plastic, it will not absorb any of the oil. I would never oil my ceramics.

If you do, I would suggest a small sample first.
I have a large set of CC Royal chips, and I oiled mine pretty liberally. I definitely think they absorbed some of that oil. Otherwise, the racks would be all gross.

I still give the edges a wipe every now and then, just to keep them fresh, because they definitely dry out over time.

Whatever the material composition is, they do respond well to oiling them. The CC Royals, at least.

Here’s a picture of some Royals I recently acquired on PCF for a custom label project I’m working on.

Not the best light but you can clearly see a HUGE difference between the oiled chips Vs non oiled.
IMG_4662.jpeg

Can’t say I particularly enjoy oiling chips… I will say tho that the Paulsons seemed to certainly take the oil better especially on the edges.

The royals really pop after some mineral oil

IMG_4674.jpeg

Water-oil bath is the only way for china clays.
I’ll have to try the water oil bath next time. I used a microfibre cloth with mineral oil and went one chip at a time. Happy with the results but will try this method next time.

Just used the “Apache method” with water bath and mineral oil on my Pharaoh set. You can really notice the difference on the .25, $25 and $100 chips. The whites still look sort of dusty. The first two pictures are before and the next three are after. Let’s see how long it lasts!

Attachments

• IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 93
Just used the “Apache method” with water bath and mineral oil on my Pharaoh set. You can really notice the difference on the .25, $25 and $100 chips. The whites still look sort of dusty. The first two pictures are before and the next three are after. Let’s see how long it lasts!
Does this bath did not affected labels anyhow? Nothing peeled off?

Does this bath did not affected labels anyhow? Nothing peeled off?
I’ve oiled about 500 Royals now with no peeling issues. Opinions on the best way to do this will likely differ until the end of time, but here are some pics of mine to show that oil is definitely absorbed. Top pink oiled, bottom pink not oiled
IMG_1207.png
IMG_1205.jpeg

Definitely looks fresher and cleaner. I’ll have a go when my pharaohs will arrive.

One more thing, will they live any residue after oiling and wiping? Stains on mat or hands?

I think it’s damn near the definition of insanity.
I’ve only oiled clays, so I can only comment on oiling chips, not specifically China clays. But oiling chips is a pain in the butt and the results are temporary. And let’s face it, most of our guests barely notice the chips anyway, so don’t do it to impress them.
As gross as it sounds, chips will absorb sweat and oils from your hands, so playing your chips regularly will have a similar effect to oiling. But what is that effect? Brighter colors when photographed under optimal conditions? I suppose. But is it noticible while playing with them under typical conditions? Maybe if you’re looking for it. I dunno. Not sure I want to play under that much light.

Do it if you want, but for the love of everything holy, don’t feel like you should.

Impressing others is my least concern to be honest. If you could look at this picture of that pink royal above you’ll see that white residue inside crown, chalk, talcum or whatever it is it’s driving me crazy. Chips with this looks dusty and dirty for me.

I know this great lustre would not last forever and I’m not really bothered. Just want them clean.

Is there a timeline on how often you should oil them so they don't dry out? Or is it completely preference and just visual benefit?

Is there a timeline on how often you should oil them so they don't dry out? Or is it completely preference and just visual benefit?
We just keep a small dipping cup on the poker table, which gets passed around whenever a player thinks chips in his stack needs a quick dunk/refresh.

Takes all the pressure off the host, who has more important duties requiring his attention.

Here is my experience with the Dunes using Apache’s method.

IMG_1582.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom