Pelican im2400 (1 Viewer)

MatB

Royal Flush
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/product/watertight-storm-hard-cases/medium-case/laptop-case/iM2400/

Just ordered this case. Looks interesting. I know its a company Pelican bought up and rebranded, but i like the dimensions.

Maybe a little smaller / lighter than the 1510

Should still be able to hold 1000 chips nicely and have room for cards/ buttons etc.

Also my goal is to have 1" of foam between each of the racks. i like the look of that better.

Will post pics once it gets here.

Im no good at sketch-up or saving word doc as a jpeg so heres a screen shot of the layout i intend to use.

Interior Dimensions are: 18" X 13" X 6.7"

IMG_4937.JPG

Last edited:
Will this be single height, or will it be double (two racks stacked). If double, I'd recommend NOT going with the 1" in between. TO be honest, unless this will be single height, then it will be a challenge to get the bottom racks out. I've run into this with my case, stacked double high, and even with the racks next to each other, it's a PITA sometimes.

Check out my case I linked HERE

Will this be single height, or will it be double (two racks stacked). If double, I'd recommend NOT going with the 1" in between. TO be honest, unless this will be single height, then it will be a challenge to get the bottom racks out. I've run into this with my case, stacked double high, and even with the racks next to each other, it's a PITA sometimes.

Check out my case I linked HERE

Yes, plan is to be double stacked but to have foam removed so your fingers can get down the sides.

I think the link to your case is broken.

Yes, plan is to be double stacked but to have foam removed so your fingers can get down the sides.

I think the link to your case is broken.

I also have "notches" removed to allow fingers to grab the sides.

Two things,

the 1" wall between the the racks will not hold. It will wind up tearing.

The notches (finger cutouts) you'll need to make will need to be big. Thus further weakening the 1" wall.

I advise against the walls. I have notches, and it's still difficult to reach the bottom rack to remove chips.

Two things,

The notches (finger cutouts) you'll need to make will need to be big. Thus further weakening the 1" wall.

I advise against the walls. I have notches, and it's still difficult to reach the bottom rack to remove chips.

OK. good info.

Can you link to your cases again?

Two things,

I'm just paying around on Pelicans website that lets you customize the foam insert, and have them pre cut the foam rather than pick and pluck.

I think your probably right. Even the precut foam they wont let you add ginger notches in the perimeter of the foam, which shrinks my options by 1" all the way round.

Hmmm. a little disappointed. I really want to have the foam in between each rack.

Do you know if the pre-cut foam is stronger than the pick and pluck? if so i will continue to play around with designs ideas.

OK. good info.

Can you link to your cases again?

Here ya go.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/case-for-transporting-chips.4085/#post-19668

The pictures shown for my cases do not include the finger Natches that I added later. These notches allow fingers to get down underneath the racks, but it is still tough to get your fingers and hands down far enough underneath to pull up the racks without stressing the foam. There is no way I would want a 1 inch foam wall between the racks, it would just rip out too easily. I'm completely happy with the three racks sitting next to each other. They are more than secure, don't to get banged around when the lid shuts down on them. And It allowed extra room for me to add slots for cards etc.

I'm just glad you got a case with a vortex valve. I'm sure that will do really really good things for your chips.

....Hmmm. a little disappointed. I really want to have the foam in between each rack.....

With one case I had, I got around this problem by having one large cutout for the ten racks, stacked double. Then I cut four pieces of very dense one-inch-thick bubbly packing material (don't know what it's called -- sort of like styrofoam, rigid but without the flaking), and inserted them vertically between the pairs of stacked racks. They were easily removable when you wanted to get at the chips, and left plenty of space for access.

Reactions: 72o
Thats a good idea. Rigid insulation comes in 1/4" to 1" thicknesses and would serve its purpose if you really want that separation.

With one case I had, I got around this problem by having one large cutout for the ten racks, stacked double. Then I cut four pieces of very dense one-inch-thick bubbly packing material (don't know what it's called -- sort of like styrofoam, rigid but without the flaking), and inserted them vertically between the pairs of stacked racks. They were easily removable when you wanted to get at the chips, and left plenty of space for access.

That might be a good workaround.

Still curious to see how different the precut foam to the pick and pluck is. It looks from photos to be a much more stable foam.

I know the chips all stacked next to each other is "probably" fine. But i like the look of having things divided.

@upNdown... it sounded like sarcasm. but i know you live in MA. and we are never sarcastic. :sneaky:

But i'm not too worried about the type of valve, i don't plan on testing the waterproofness of the case.
Kind of like my iPhone life proof case.

One of the issues Matt, is that you can create finger notches, but getting down to the lower rack will require lots of space for your fingers, and then the rack must still be raised straight up, which is not easy. Most often, we get a finger under the rack, then tilt it up to get a better purchase under it, but the foam will inhibit this. A more dense sturdier foam wil make this worse. And lifting the rack straight vertical without angling it some, will require crazy rock climber like grip strength. I run into this problem with finger notches, AND having more room to operate. I can't imagine the issues you'll run into with having individual foam wells. Just please ditch the idea. Single stacks of racks, no problem. But not with double stacks.

One of the issues Matt, is that you can create finger notches, but getting down to the lower rack will require lots of space for your fingers, and then the rack must still be raised straight up, which is not easy. Most often, we get a finger under the rack, then tilt it up to get a better purchase under it, but the foam will inhibit this. A more dense sturdier foam wil make this worse. And lifting the rack straight vertical without angling it some, will require crazy rock climber like grip strength. I run into this problem with finger notches, AND having more room to operate. I can't imagine the issues you'll run into with having individual foam wells. Just please ditch the idea. Single stacks of racks, no problem. But not with double stacks.

I appreciate the info. The case will be here tomorrow, so I'll get to play with it then.

So maybe my next option will be @pltrgyst idea of removable dividers.

This case just seems a little more streamline than the 1510. 1000 chips and some acccessories is my goal. So I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Very grateful for this thread. I was about to pluck foam, and this changes my design...since I was going to have foam between too.

Do people recommend using just regular chip racks, or the 4x100 covered chip boxes?

Very grateful for this thread. I was about to pluck foam, and this changes my design...since I was going to have foam between too.

Do people recommend using just regular chip racks, or the 4x100 covered chip boxes?

Mel, I simply use chip racks double stacked. The pressure from the foam above and below and the sides keeps all of the chips secure and rattle free. I would not hesitate to do something like this again, and in mats case I would likely just do five racks lined up along the backside of the foam. And allow room in front of the racks of chips for accessories. Allow an inch or two along the outer edge for protection. The foam and between the racks will have negligible effect in my opinion, so long as the chips are immobilized by the pressure of foam from on top and underneath

So its been a while and i have to say. I think the pick and pluck foam that comes standard is crap.

Also, i'm in a small minority of people that prefer dividers between their racks. Unfortunately the im2400 was limited in what i could customize using their heavy duty foam. But i've ordered some anyway.

heres the Custom foam i'm doing, unfortunately 2 of the racks are side by side. includes notches for fingers. Bottom right are 2 spaces for Kem plastic individual cases.:

Pelican im2400

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 7.15.04 PM.png

meanwhile i'm playing around on their site and it looks like the 1520 might suit my needs better. holding 1000 chips comfortably and having dividers between everything !!

heres the mock up of their heavy duty custom foam inset.:

Pelican1520

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 6.42.59 PM.png

Last edited:
If you haven't yet cut the foam, I'd have the racks right next to each other with no foam in between. I don't think the foam in between serves a real purpose. The case and racks protect your chips. The foam holds the racks in place. Even if they slide around a little that shouldn't hurt anything. I have a 1510 and the standard pick and pluck foam. It's worked fine for me, though YMMV.

If you haven't yet cut the foam, I'd have the racks right next to each other with no foam in between. I don't think the foam in between serves a real purpose. The case and racks protect your chips. The foam holds the racks in place. Even if they slide around a little that shouldn't hurt anything. I have a 1510 and the standard pick and pluck foam. It's worked fine for me, though YMMV.

i agree, the racks next to each other is more than ok. and foam inbetween is pretty redundant, BUT.! aesthetically i like the look of foam between.
Plus i like to make things difficult for myself. :)

i agree, the racks next to each other is more than ok. and foam inbetween is pretty redundant, BUT.! aesthetically i like the look of foam between.
Plus i like to make things difficult for myself. :)
I admire your love for foam but you're doing it wrong:
IMG_1880.JPG

So i am pretty happy with the results.

Couple of things i might change, one is make the depth a little less so there isomer compression from foam in the lid on the racks. Will add 1/2 inch layer to the bottom to remedy for now.

Will be tweaking some finger pull cutouts. Works right now but could be little easier.

IMG_5647.JPG

Hey Matt, how close can you get to the edge with the pick and pluck foam, without busting out a razor?

Hey Matt, how close can you get to the edge with the pick and pluck foam, without busting out a razor?

I think its 1" all the way around. I'll check tonight.

update:

So i did not like the way the chips sat in the custom cut outs. Everything was a little too tight, maybe an even more custom cut foam would be better, but this is what i have.
Anyway,,,,,,, i have a need to transport 1400 chips coming up, so rather than use this case and a birdcage or 2 i decided to modify the modified foam.

Originally the case held 1000 chips and a set of cards

It now holds 1400 chips, and i think i'll invest in the 'lid organizer' as you see the cards and dealer buttons wont fit in the main compartment.

I'm a little disappointed as i always wanted some foam between the racks..:(

But on the bright side, this foam is so much more sturdier than the pick and pluck foam it almost makes up for the lack dividers.

On to the pics... when the lid was closed i notice some minor movement in the chips and after a really good shake, 1 or 2 had come out of their racks.
So i added some 1/4" poker table foam i had lying around to the top and that made a huge difference. Its possible i had specked the custom cut out too deep , so maybe not going 1/4" to 3/16" deep when i ordered it would have solved this issue.

IMG_6102.JPG
IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_6100.JPG
IMG_6099.JPG

On the left is 800 Cash chips 100/200/400/80/20
and on the right 600 tourney chips for a 2 table T10k. starting stacks of 8/8/4/7

when the lid was closed i notice some minor movement in the chips and after a really good shake, 1 or 2 had come out of their racks.
So i added some 1/4" poker table foam i had lying around to the top and that made a huge difference.
Instead of having it flop around on top, put that 1/4" foam sheet under the racks (or under the bottom foam piece) to raise everything up. Use two sheets if one isn't enough to get ample compression from the lid foam.

Instead of having it flop around on top, put that 1/4" foam sheet under the racks (or under the bottom foam piece) to raise everything up. Use two sheets if one isn't enough to get ample compression from the lid foam.

Yup, that was my next plan. I wanted to see what the lid organizer looks like too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom