PCF Wine appreciation thread. (17 Viewers)

This weekend while doing my wine inventory got thirsty with my buddies.
F1BABEDA-6119-4EF0-938A-F006F56B76B5.jpeg

A0F2D20D-DEF0-41E8-B991-0914C608290B.jpeg

I think I'm sober enough to write this, after 36 hours...

Two nights ago, we had a birthday dinner at our tennis (country) club for a good friend's birthday. At age 90, he's still playing competitive tennis four times a week, and scampering around the court like a madman.

This particular friend spent most of his career as the wine and food critic for the Los Angeles Daily News. His wife, who passed recently, worked for a major wine importer. He knows pretty much everyone there is to know in the wine industry (Wolfgang Puck and others flew to Europe for their wedding!) One of the highlights of the evening was a particular bottle of wine that he's been saving for a special occasion. And what a bottle! A 1983 Far Niente Cab, presented to him in 1984 by Far Niente's owners and winemaker, who also signed the bottle.

Oh, and there was plenty of room to sign, because this bottle is a Jereboam -- three liters of wine.(four regular bottles)! It had the original oversized cork, which was a bear to remove, since a normal Bartender's Friend couldn't straddle that original cork. We decanted into four normal-sized decanters. (I was very glad we decanted it, because I was the one who was going to have to lug that thing around pouring and topping-off glasses...)

And, a bit to our surprise, it was superb! Fully mature, but still rich and smooth.

20230304_215512.jpg

20230304_194412.jpg

20230304_194420.jpg

20230304_194454.jpg

20230304_194532.jpg

20230304_194553.jpg

The herd of tennis winos (the b-day boy wearing the crown, his grandson to his right, my wife Nancy at his right shoulder, and myself lurking in the back right):

20230304_215207.jpg

...and one of his b-day gifts (Winston is his dog):

20230304_213032.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Fox is a very nice blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, all of them French grapes, cultivated in Macedonia, Greece by Mr. Yannis Boutaris (hence, Kyr Yannis).
He says that during harvest, at dusk, he saw a fox running away, and he thought it was blue.

Excellent wine by international standards (just savoured it with hot arabiatta pasta) but probably too expensive for the Americas, if the price gets x3 in crossing the Atlantic.

Blue Fox_IMG_0460.jpg
Blue Fox_IMG_0461.jpg

Too drunk by now to remember if I 've presented this bottle before.

It is a prime Rapsani (vinyeard), on the foothills of the mountain of Gods, Mt Olympus, consisting of the famous Xinomavro variety (Sour Black), harnessed by Krassato (wine-intended) and Stavroto (cross-blend) varieties.
This one is aged in oak barrels and marketed under the poetic name "Terra Petra" or Stone Earth in Greco-Latin. By the wizzard Mr. Thymiopoulos.
Terra Petra 0478.jpg
Terra Petra_0479.jpg

Ok, that is TERRIBLE! Tastes very flat and like sweat socks! Bottle dumped. Trying a sangiovese from Cosentino instead

20230531_193153.jpg

Tomorrow's gravy basics. Adding a paste, ground beef, hot sausage, onion, garlic, salt pepper, oregano, basil, and plenty of garlic and a pinch of cinnamon. Doing a 4hr reduction with Stags' leap in the sauce and our glasses while we cook. Then a Argentine malbec with dinner.

20230609_213727.jpg

Tomorrow's gravy basics. Adding a paste, ground beef, hot sausage, onion, garlic, salt pepper, oregano, basil, and plenty of garlic and a pinch of cinnamon. Doing a 4hr reduction with Stags' leap in the sauce and our glasses while we cook. Then a Argentine malbec with dinner.

View attachment 1148763

Ok, actually going with this 2017 Felsina

20230609_232951.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom