PCF Shows (4 Viewers)

I'm lukewarm on this. I love that Chris Elliot is back on TV, but I'm just not loving this as much as I had hoped based on the casting...

I'm a big fan of the Christopher Guest stuff. It's very much in the same vein - quiet, unassuming, character-driven stuff. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Or crack coffee!

I'm a big fan of the Christopher Guest stuff. It's very much in the same vein - quiet, unassuming, character-driven stuff. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Or crack coffee!

The one caveat I'll put on this is Mascots which came out this year on Netflix. Man, that was a huge disappointment.

The one caveat I'll put on this is Mascots which came out this year on Netflix. Man, that was a huge disappointment.

Not seen that. Guess I'll give it a swerve! Didn't realize CG had released a new movie. Shame, sounds a bit shit. :(

Not seen that. Guess I'll give it a swerve! Didn't realize CG had released a new movie. Shame, sounds a bit shit. :(

Yeah it's too bad. I have more of a tolerance for questionable Christopher Guest stuff. I know folks who really only like Best in Show and Guffman, but I can have fun with most everything he does.

Yeah it's too bad. I have more of a tolerance for questionable Christopher Guest stuff. I know folks who really only like Best in Show and Guffman, but I can have fun with most everything he does.

I too love the Guest stuff. And I too was disappointed in Mascots. There was one routine in the Mascot competition that was quite good though. I thought it almost justified building a mediocre 90 minute movie around the 2 minutes of Mascot performance.

Of course the best improvised Guest comedy is the one Rob Reiner actually made.

For those that enjoy Anime, I just watched this over the weekend on Netflix...

I flew through the entire season in 2 days and am really looking forward to the second season starting on 12/27. I knew nothing of the Manga it is based on and only heard of the series from a friend who recommended it.

If you are into Anime the simplistic and overly expository dialogue won't be too jarring to you though it is a little more than usual with this series. I haven't watched much Anime in recent years with the only other series I watched being Death Note (which is also awesome and on Netflix). It was a nice change of pace from all the other stuff I've been watching.

wtf,... took me a second to realize that was her leg...:eek:

A Mighty Wind is prob my favorote

I think a lot of the time people's individual experiences in life lead to one being preferred over another. I have a close friend who has been very involved in theater and folk music and he always said Guffman and Mighty Wind were his favorites. I grew up playing music and a lot of my friends are still grinding that live gig, so I have a certain affinity for Spinal Tap, but ultimately still fall back to Best in Show even though I've never had a dog that had anything that could be called talent.

I think a lot of the time people's individual experiences in life lead to one being preferred over another. I have a close friend who has been very involved in theater and folk music and he always said Guffman and Mighty Wind were his favorites. I grew up playing music and a lot of my friends are still grinding that live gig, so I have a certain affinity for Spinal Tap, but ultimately still fall back to Best in Show even though I've never had a dog that had anything that could be called talent.

I love Spinal Tap but admire the subtlety of AMW. I also quite like much of the soundtrack. It apes a wider range of music more effectively than Spinal Tap. Love both, however!

I really don't know. As good as Spinal Tap is, both Guffman and Best in Show are amazing.

I agree 100%, and the gap is narrow, but I give extra points for Tap for 3 reasons:

1. It came before all the Guest ensemble pics.
2. It really captured what it was like to be a working musician in spirit.
3. It's part of the most amazing run for a new director.

Reiner's first 7 films are all great (arguably except the sure thing) span 7 genres, and at least 6 of them are true genre classics. This puts best in show and Guffman, both of which I adore, just half a peg down in my mind. I have to give it to him for fan boi bias.

His first 7 movies:
This is Spinal Tap
The Sure Thing
Stand By Me
The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally
Misery
A Few Good Men

not bad for a guy best know as meathead prior to that.

Been binging our way through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, already on season 2 and enjoying it quite a bit.

Love Always Sunny in Philadelphia and thought The Mick starring Kaitlin Olson (aka Sweet Dee Reynolds) was going to be a stinker but have been pleasantly surprised.

I just realized "The Outcasts" are back for S2. If you missed S1 I definitely recommend it. If you don't like the first 10 minutes of episode one. Don't finish the season. Kind of sets the tone for the series.

This isn't even the worse part of the first 10 minutes.

How was American Gods? I read some good reviews.

Just started binge watching Shameless with the wife. Needless to say, we are hooked. All characters are outstanding in their roles.

Outstanding indeed, but WHM is phenomenal and he reaches a new level with the character of Frank for sure.

WOW...........I skipped my work out this morning to watch the season/series finale of "The Leftovers". The episode didn't disappoint. I really only had one minor disappointment. Its nothing big.
Last weeks ending was fantastic. To find out that Laurie is alive kind of takes away from it imo.

Outside of that small complaint, I thought that focusing on Nora and Kevin was a great idea. Great series final!!!

If you watched the first few episodes of S1 and didn't like it and quit watching I highly recommend giving it a second shot. I did, thanks @jbutler and it turned out to be one of my favorite shows on television. S2 and S3 were fucking fantastic.

Agreed... really enjoyed the final season. This is one of those shows I feel I would have a lot of difficulty really enjoying if I limited it to once a week so I avoided S3 until this weekend. Pounded out the first seven episodes on Saturday. Spent most of the finale happily staring at the screen with a "I have no fucking idea what's happening" look on my face but that's nothing new with this show. Great stuff.

Dont know if I believe Nora's story or not... but I want to believe it so that's what I'll do

Agreed... really enjoyed the final season. This is one of those shows I feel I would have a lot of difficulty really enjoying if I limited it to once a week so I avoided S3 until this weekend. Pounded out the first seven episodes on Saturday. Spent most of the finale happily staring at the screen with a "I have no fucking idea what's happening" look on my face but that's nothing new with this show. Great stuff.

I did something similar. I think I watched the first two episodes. Then I waited until I could binge watch the next four.
I suspected that he was lying to her. He played it off really well. I was second guessing it the entire way.
. There were a few unanswered questions. Nothing that I "needed" answered.

I'm already looking forward to re watching the series. I'm going to try and get Colleen into it. Her attention span with a series is limited. She doesn't sit and watch TV very well lol.

I've been a fan of Tom Perrotta for a long, long time so I was glad to see he was getting some more work, but I have to say I was a little worried before the show originally premiered. Thankfully after the full run it's proved to be probably as satisfying as his best writing. The finale is up there with the Shield as best finales of all time imo.

what else of his do you recommend?

His other books are really nothing like The Leftovers, though two have been made into movies, so you probably know the titles even if you haven't seen the adaptations. I'd probably rank them as follows, starting with my favorite:

Election (satire of type A students in high school - just as funny as the movie which is one of my favorite comedies of all time)
The Wishbones (delayed coming of age tale of a guy in his 30s who should have grown up, but hasn't)
The Leftovers
Little Children (sort of like the interpersonal adult drama of The Leftovers without the magical realism)
The Abstinence Teacher (sex ed teacher butts heads with religious conservative town)
Joe College (blue collar kid finds his way into Yale but still has to help his dad with the food truck in the summer; semi autobiographical)

I'd probably start with Election and then jump around based on what interests you. They're all worth reading. He also has two short story collections, of which I've only read one, Bad Haircut, but I read it about 20 years ago and don't remember much about it.

Just watched Blood Drive, which debuted last night on the SYFY channel. If you're into Grindhouse-type movies, and just want to watch something fun and super gory, without having any pretension to be anything of substance, it was actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom